Not open for further replies.

Jools

Giga Poster
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/

The updates include:
Ug Swinger is going to be moved
Corkscrew may be removed at the end of the season
Aquarium for Mutiny Bay

and more... just look on the link above and go onto news situated below the interactive map.

A

Anonymous

Sealife is not confirmed, and only going off what "someone" has heard.

Obviously
2009 confirmed is:
Skyride refurb
Area refurb RUMORED to be Cred Street.

Everything else is rumor

jokerman

Giga Poster
I think that it's good they are trying to get the theming up to scratch before building anything new. Once they have that done, THEN they can focus on a new coaster.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Considering how bum Cred Street looks, if they did another thing on the scale of Mutiny Bay, then I'd happily wait another year for a coaster...

A Sea-Life makes me lol... But is the 3-D cinema even used anymore? If not, that'd be where such a thing (if it happened) would go imo...

Moving Ug Swinger and removing Corkscrew would make Ug Land rather boring wouldn't it? I mean, more than it currently is...

Suppose I'll find out sommat on Saturday...

marc

CF Legend
Why does Alton Towers need this Aquarium for Mutiny Bay, what does this area have to do with fish?

Its not a Zoo, its yet again Merlin building these in all their parks. I can go to Chessington, London, Southend to see these things.

Alton Towers needs somthing new there is just no point going there year after year at the moment.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Moving Ug Swinger and removing Corkscrew would make Ug Land rather boring wouldn't it? I mean, more than it currently is...

...or even turn Ug Land into an empty space ready for the construction vehicles to move in... (for 2010..)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Somebody on TTF summed it up well.

'Get the family stuff done and dusted - then you have your backbone in place, ready to bring on the big projects to bring in the thrill seekers'.

Four years of family work, to make sure that when they next do a big project, there's lots for the ankle-biters and grannies to be getting on with. It's also not that unusual an amount of time either.

Nemesis 1994, Oblivion 1998, air 2002, Rita 2005. I don't know why people get so upset about having to wait an extra year for a major new ride? Alton are seeing good returns for their current plan (though the market has been generally good this year anyway) - so why not stick with it?

The Sealife centre is likely to be pirate themed, and general feedback I've had (from madame_Furie and her online pals NOT involved in coaster enthusiasm) ) is exceptionally positive, and her friends (and their families) will definitely go to Alton if they put in a Sealife. It's just an additional string to their bow.

We knew 2009 was going to be another 'dead' year for enthusiasts, but it's worth it to keep churn levels low, and it gives them time to implement the 'next big thing', which even I think needs to come in 2010.

marc

CF Legend
I know what you mean Furie but if other stories are true Nemesis only has a few more years left as the ground is breaking and the coaster only ever had a 15 year life, I dont know if its true btw.

So by the time Alton gets a new coaster we could loose one or it needs alot of work.

I just hope Alton go for something good in 2010 and totally redo Ugland.

I also hope they do somthing with the Black Hole tent.

But I agree they need to get the park in order before they put in a new large ride.

spicy

Giga Poster
So this possible re theme of an area is only rumored to be Cred Street, right?

Its also rumored that Corky might be removed and that Ugswinger is going to have a relocation/ retheme

Ugland retheme anyone?

Lofty

CF Legend
When I heard the rumour about 'Ug Swinger and corky being removed' I thought it was one of them wild guesses and fantasies that someone has had!

But thinking about it more, doesnt it open a rather large space up?

I totally agree with furie too about is it a big deal waitying another year for something major?

Families love alton towers and thats a fact, So yeah the aquarium could be a good road for Alton to go down!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nice one! :lol:

So, that confirms something big in Ugland 2010 really. Good news for all.

Now, I just need to work out some kind of really, seriously over the top, on-ride photo for Corkscrew to say goodbye... Hmmmmm...

marc

CF Legend
I am pleased I rode it for the last time at the live.

I know people dont like it but I will miss it, its one of my 1st coasters.

If Alton was closer I would go up for one last go, but I can not afford it :(

marc

CF Legend
Saying that I have the weekend free on the 9th of November so I will speak to Mark and might go up there.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
southend_marc said:
I am pleased I rode it for the last time at the live.

I made sure we did it just in case :)

There's the special 'goodbye' day on 9th November, I'll arrange a trip for that day in Trip Planning for those interested in it - so keep plans in there when I make the topic :)

marc

CF Legend
Its probably going to get more people riding it on the 9th than it has for years, hope it does not break down.

I do have to admit it I am sort of upset.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Wow, great to see that Corkscrew will be getting its own very special day. I bet there will be a big rush to get on the very last ride on that particular day. Surprised they aren't doing something like an auction for the very last ride.

Also does anyone know if it will just be scrapped or shipped off to another park?

marc

CF Legend
Chessington needs a new coaster :)

I should think it will be scrap due to its age. Unless it ends up at a small park somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.