What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The rumour about it's removal started when somebody on the Alton staff found out about the maintenance costs. Basically, it needs new cars, and work on the track, and it's a cost in the hundreds of thousands of pounds. I think that there was a lot of heart-wrenching about it, and I know Jack (remember him) had it confirmed at Vekoma that Alton had asked for a quote for new trains.

So it was just too much to keep it running well beyond it's expected life-span. It frees up such a huge area of land too.

I have no doubt the ride will just be scrapped. It would be nice if they incorporated bits of it into the park though as scenery :)

spicy

Giga Poster
Awww poor old Corky! Glad I got my final ride in last week, going to miss the old girl.

But yeah that basically confirms Ugland is getting a re theme sometime in the near future!

Divv

Roller Poster
I heard it was coming down recently. Apparently Alton are looking for a unique family ride to replace it.

I wouldn't be getting hopes up for another Nemesis-type thrill machine. Maybe a GCI woodie wouldn't be too much to ask though?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, I'm guilty of this too, but can we keep the Corkscrew removal stuff in one place - here
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... c&start=28

Should make things easier to follow... Maybe :lol:

Divv, Wardley has been seen in the woods measuring up. So who knows really, but he did say he'd only come back to Alton to make a Woodie... Obviously people change their minds, but I think that it's the most likely thing to happen there.

I think it'll be quite small though. Intamin P&P have a 1.3M limit, meaning they're not 'Family Friendly' - I don't know what the GCI limit is, probably 1.2M or something though?

Jools

Giga Poster
Is it true they are clearing ugland area for a "Mega attraction", it may win thrillingingingly :lol: I struggle with 'ing,s and 'ly's, haha, anyway.
BUT CORKY WILL WIN SPIRITLY!

I'm glad I got a last ride this year :)

But she is still going. :cry: For Alton's sake they better replace her with something amzing.
:lol: Theme parks sound like life for a picky man, they get a girl (Rollercoaster) and if it aint happening, she gets dumped and they find a new one, and they have all of there friends surrounding which the man excepts.

spicy

Giga Poster
Jewls1993 said:
Is it true they are clearing ugland area for a "Mega attraction", it may win thrillingingingly :lol: I struggle with 'ing,s and 'ly's, haha, anyway.
BUT CORKY WILL WIN SPIRITLY!

I'm glad I got a last ride this year :)

But she is still going. :cry: For Alton's sake they better replace her with something amzing.
:lol: Theme parks sound like life for a picky man, they get a girl (Rollercoaster) and if it aint happening, she gets dumped and they find a new one, and they have all of there friends surrounding which the man excepts.

Whatever you're smoking, I want some.

luke8

Mega Poster
I have mixed emotions over this.

Corkscrew was my first inverting coaster, and it has a sentimental value to me, and I don't think AT will ever be the same without it. Sure, it's a pretty bad coaster these days, but I'm still hating this news.

I'm glad I rode this when I visited the park in the summer, as I doubt I will be able to go down for the last day. Before the summer (my last visit) I don't think I had rode this for atleast 5 years.

In some ways, it was a nice surprise, infact I thought it was running the best it had for years. But still, this is such a shame.

On the other hand, it's nice there doing a goodbye day, and I suppose this means there's something major coming in 2010, so thats always good.

Divv

Roller Poster
Yeah furie, the GCI woodies have a 1.2m height limit. I know through a source that they were looking at a ride with a 1.1m height requirement but ultimately Alton decided not to go with that one. I have no idea what it will be but the height requirement might be very important.

That said even the Gertslauer models have 1.2m restrictions so maybe 1.2m will satisfy the conditions of a unique family ride. I don't think there are that many new coaster models going up these days with a restriction below 1.2m.

So yeah - GCI!!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Like many people, I think I have mixed views on this.

It's great that Alton Towers are finally updating their rides. Hopefully they will make UgLand better, as at the moment it seems a bit mismatched. I'm very interested to see what they are planning for the area.

On the other hand, it's a shame that such a good ride is going. It's got nothing on the smoothness of other rides, but I always felt like it was great. It had more of a personality.

Still, at least I've got the credit, and at least it means that Alton Towers are being more proactive in their plans.

R.I.P. Corkscrew.

trav

Mega Poster
I'm interested in what will happen to Ugland next year.

If UgSwinger gets moved...then that's one ride in a (big) whole area?

Jools

Giga Poster
Whatever you're smoking, I want some.

IT IS VERY NICE STUFF!!! hehehehehehehehahahahahahahaha, wow, oh what a night!

ANYWHO:
My brain and heart have finally excepted it and there will be no tears, I mean for goodness sake, it wasn't the best ride in the world (durr) and it was as rough as hell, it only had a bit of airtime and it was seriously lagging, I say, let her die in peace, she had her time, and sooner or later the stupid generic Corkscrew sitting in the corner shadowed over by Rita will fade away in history.

I can't believe i just said that

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
I remember going on it last year and even my dad said it was tame compared to Rita and he usually isn't keen on rides. And also I thought it was was smoother compared to Flamingoland's Corkscrew which was just death.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I'm pretty gutted about corkscrew.

Yeah sure its noisy, rough, uncomfortable, cramped and tame, but it is pretty historic and still worth a ride. It looks cool too, and is many peoples first coaster with inversions. I dunno whats gonna happen to it, probably sell it to brazil or something like that. :(

A

Anonymous

I heard about corkscrew last night on the radio when i was coming hme from Alton Towers. Glad i rode it when i had the chance!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Rust Into Pieces, Corkscrew.

Well, a lot of people have said that the removal of those rides "will open up a pretty large space". Anyone know about how large? A Mega-Lite is about 150-200 by 30-40 meters. I know it's way to unlikely for AT, but it's nice to have anything to compare to.

trav

Mega Poster
I think Corkys footprint is around 65m by 25m. I'm not sure though, so don't quote me on that.

NASHER

Roller Poster
^But then there is also the area around where ugswinger is at the moment, and over/under Rita.
If Ugland is due for a retheme, what is to become of RITA. The theme is mismatced at the moment, I don't think that even the GP could ingnore it if it was prehistoric drag racing in the gloomy forrest with classic power rock soundtrack.
That might be a bit much to take.
Unless the R:QOS theme is tempoary, I can't see them retheming Ugland yet. It would be a huge marketing own goal to have to rename/retheme their "Star" (in a marketing sense) thrill atraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.