What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

So yeah, "Galactia" is happening. There will be no upcharge and riders can ride without the headsets.

EthC

Mega Poster

Here is the Official New logo as well as some of the concept art.

Looks pretty swish.

12439552_10153704200591201_3416886894637659276_n.jpg

And here is the youtube promo :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu35v2kDL30[/youtube]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I have no doubt that it will be spectacular the first time I ride it. It will give me an alternative to looking at the feet of the people in front and the ugly car park during the helixy turnaroundy bit. If it's anything like the preview video, then it will look sharp and beautiful.

I'm just glad that it's optional and there's no up-charge. The no up-charge news threw me a little, I had to sit down for a while. Good on Alton Towers!

DelPiero

Strata Poster

There's a site as well https://www.galacticatours.com/ which shows multiple options, so as long as they keep investing in different films then I can see this working for a while.
I do worry that they'll struggle to keep up the maintenance on the headsets though, and will be interesting to see how it affects capacity.

Dar

Hyper Poster

With the headsets being attached to the trains I can see cleaning being an issue in this case. Why they haven't gone for the tried and tested Mack solution is a mystery too.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

The way this is being marketed as a brand-new ride is more than a bit cheeky. The BBC report says "It is the resort's first big new ride since one of its rollercoasters crashed in June" which is simply untrue.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Ian said:
So yeah, "Galactia" is happening. There will be no upcharge and riders can ride without the headsets.
Are we sure, cuz what I just read implies otherwise.

EDIT: Nevermind, Alton confirmed on Twitter that they will be washed after every use and you can ride without them if you wish.

I guess they're just trying to focus on this idea that it's a new ride.

spicy

Giga Poster

I just can imagine it being really disorientating and making people feel really sick. There was already vomit on the floor under the brake run without the headsets, hate to think what its going to be like now :lol:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I wonder if you'll be able to take the headsets off during the ride. On the two that I've done, I could easily remove it and hold on to it, keeping in mind these were two "tame" coasters. It might be different on Air, which is intense in comparison. I wonder if this is possible due to the restraints.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I can honestly say I'm really looking forward to this, it will give a ride I found rather dull a whole new lease of life! The theming around the ride looks really good too, hopefully this is a sign of things to come from the park!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster

Ian said:
I wonder if you'll be able to take the headsets off during the ride. On the two that I've done, I could easily remove it and hold on to it, keeping in mind these were two "tame" coasters. It might be different on Air, which is intense in comparison. I wonder if this is possible due to the restraints.

How strict is Alton Towers regarding loose objects on their rides? I mean, flapping around carrying around a rather heavy object in your hand could soon prove to be a safety hazard of sorts.

Just out of pure curiosity, which were the rides you've tried with VR Headset on, Ian?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Only bit I'm really bothered for is LEDs on the trains. <3

Ben

CF Legend

Robbie said:
The way this is being marketed as a brand-new ride is more than a bit cheeky. The BBC report says "It is the resort's first big new ride since one of its rollercoasters crashed in June" which is simply untrue.

This is my only real reservation with it - sure it'll generate more buzz now if it seems to be new but when people turn up and realise it's just Air with goggles, there'll be grumbles.

What Alton needs is a good, solid ride advertised honestly which leaves no room for bitterness - we're not quite there yet.

nealbie

CF Legend

Re the loose objects questions, from the BBC article, looks like they're attached to the restraint by clips on either side, so I'm guessing they're detachable if you choose not to wear them, but you are probably stuck with them the whole ride if you do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35290384

mouse

Giga Poster

So is Galactica the name of the coaster now or is Air still a thing?

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm intrigued to see what they do to the coaster for those who don't want the headset...

Other than that, the art work looks really good!

Robbie

Hyper Poster

mouse said:
So is Galactica the name of the coaster now or is Air still a thing?
Seems to be entirely called Galactica - even the Wikipedia page has now changed from Air to Galactica.

As Ben suggests, can't wait to see Alton's Facebook page when people start turning up and realise it's not a new ride after all.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Eh I'm rather excited to try it tbh, sounds like it'll be an extremely surreal experience.