What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

Although yeah reading through the BBC article and they're setting themselves up to fail by marketing this as a brand new ride being installed.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Ben said:
What Alton needs is a good, solid ride advertised honestly which leaves no room for bitterness - we're not quite there yet.

Completely agree. I think they need to just play it simple a few times, not confusing people with the theme, or overmarketing it.
I really can't see what their problem is with just adding a few flat rides? Yes they won't be 'world beating' in 'true Alton Towers style', but they just need to branch out their line up beyond coasters so guests aren't stuck in massive queues all day - which I think is probably the most common guest complaint. You always need a few good walk-ons in a park to keep it worth the rising entry costs. It also offers guests a bit of diversity.

Saying that, any TLC of their rides is a welcome investment. Galactica has the potential to be a good ride - if they make an effort on it. Will I like it? Probably. But is it a good long-term investment? Probably not. Just a quick, cheap effort to bring gate numbers up - which might backfire in their faces if they don't address the big issues with using the technology, most significantly throughput and nausea. If they can solve those two issues, I think it'll do well.

I also really, really hope they add some proper, physical theming to Air - LEDs are a good start.

mouse

Giga Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
I think they need to just play it simple a few times, not confusing people with the theme, or overmarketing it.
I agree that they seem to be heavily over marketing it, I can see visitors being very disappointing when they realise its just Air with a VR headset.
Looking through the mini site for the ride I'm not too keen on their marketing strategy... they are presenting it as this genuine and groundbreaking experience, the site just seems to be full of unnecessary bullcrap. Stuff like...
Galactica is the world’s favourite galactic tourism company and universe’s first spaceflight voyager.
Spaceflight Voyager?!
Those who embark on a Galactica voyage will join an elite group of interstellar pioneers known as Galactinauts.
We are committed to preserving the disparate environments of the universe, and will never knowingly despoil space
We do this by travelling through wormholes - where the fabric of space-time folds back on itself. It’s an interstellar shortcut, like a giant slide between two locations.
I get that they have a strong and well thought out theme, but I just think it is misleading and unnecessary bull ****. I can imagine people getting excited reading through the website thinking they are going to have a genuine groundbreaking experience, and then realising its a coaster they've already ridden with a new theme and headset. At least Air has been incorporated into the marketing subtly:
Partnering with Air Space Technologies to develop a multi-dimensional portal using the Resort’s iconic flying coaster as the propulsion device,
I think they should've incorporated Air into the title to avoid confusion, even if it was just something like Air: Galactica. Barely anywhere on the website does it actually mention Virtual Reality either. Can't they just market it as the world's first extreme virtual reality coaster or something? That's an exciting enough concept in itself in my opinion, and I think it would excite just as much of the GP without misleading them.
I hope the station is exceptionally well themed to live up to the hype of the marketing...

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Second basically what everyone else has said about marketing and the use of language.

Most interested in seeing what physical theming this will entail. I know we've seen concept art for a mock 'portal' but as much as it would look good (if done well) I can't see them splashing out on lots of physical theming for a ride that's key selling point is that you won't be looking at it.

Also pleased to see LEDs being added but will they get used/seen much if the park isn't open in the evenings apart from during scarefest? Meh, it's something.

I like the whole space theme thing but hope it doesn't get ruined by poor execution, overhype or gimmicks. Call me old fashioned and all! It is bizarre seeing UK Merlin doing a slightly less macabre coaster theme for once.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

(double post but...)

The awkward moment when Merlin's 'world's first' loses that title before it even gets to open. I suppose they'll ignore this fact lol. (Was Europa's trial ever open to the public (I understand fun spot's wasn't?) because if so Galactica never really was a world first anyway...)

Edit: I see they've been using the phrase 'world's first fully dedicated to VR coaster' possibly to get around the aforementioned points! I know the gp don't really care but still, slightly amusing considering their obsession of world's firsts=hype.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I am so torn about this now. Brace yourself, Joey is bored on a train so here's my run down of thought vomit on Air's VR...

I know of two people with an Occulus Rift, both of which seem really interested and excited by this, and by and large those who've actually ridden the coasters which have had VR tests speak pretty highly of the experience. However, without wishing to offend and merely be realistic, the majority of situations in which people have had exposure to and reported on these things comes - I wonder - with the social pressure to not be too critical. If you're involved with something, be that professionally or through friends or, say, an event a park was nice enough to put on, you're probably not going to be so honest of its flaws.

I know I come across as overly harsh a lot of the time, but I consider every tiny flaw because they're more interesting and important points of discussion. Let the industry over-praise every tiny victory, cool feature and positive attribute, we're here to be honest. Overlooking flaws is problematic however minor they seem, because then things never have a chance to be better, and every industry is full of people lining up to give praise in return for perks, access or, well... a job. Its not cool.
My main worry about VR, in general not just with coasters or rides, is that even the best quality is not quite good enough yet. Some things just work at lower advancement, some things just look cool regardless, but a fully immersive digital world can only be acceptable if it is outstandingly realistic. High budget gaming is getting there, arguably is there for those with access to powerful enough systems, but the footage produced for attractions? No. Just. No. I watched Europa's and they are laughably bad, and Europa is a big game player who thrust money into their projects because they are effectively a living brochure for the Mack company. Do we honestly think Merlin have the kind of budgets to commission something of equal, let alone the required better quality?

When this was first rumoured, I wondered why Air... Why not Thirteen? Man that could have been a cool enhancement on a lacking ride. Air is still popular, Air is a major, substantial ride at Alton. But, whether this was part of the reason why or not, with hindsight I'm glad... Air's ambiguous theme allowed them to go with the pretty abstract world of space, where the objects required are a hell of a lot easier to render in a believable style. A sensible choice and one which allows a sciency tie in to the tech... Nice.

But, vomit. I know I keep going on about this, but even the OR causes nausea when you aren't moving. A lot of people keep bringing up the fact that if the footage and movements are even slightly out of sync, this will cause nausea... But even in perfect conditions I think it will, just exasperated by any syncing issues and the like. The very fact that this is something on a rider's face will cause nausea in some people. And its not as if Air didn't ever have vomit lining the break run anyway, it's awkward riding position probably not helping motion sickness. And that vomit will get on the head sets. It will. And they won't be adequately washed.

Then there's reliability. These will go wrong, they will break, they will get damaged. Before long, they won't have enough. Guests will be given faulty headsets, because there's no way to test them all daily and no way to know if guests reporting broken ones are mistaken, if the brokenness is substantial enough to warrant removing the headset completely... I just cannot imagine they'll have enough of them or that they will last long enough to make it to the end of the season with enough. Not to mention, being out of sync and causing nausea most likely won't be reported by guests.

Then there's the question... How in the hell is this going to actually work? They freak out about phones being out on ride, but not these headsets? Even if they're attached to the train somehow, the chance of it smacking someone in the face is surely high? I sit here thinking, someone MUST have thought of this and solved it, but history makes me skeptical.

Of course, there's also concerns about how this will operationally affect Air's loading and unloading. It will affect it, but how much is a pure guess for EVERYONE, even those designing how it operates, until staff are on the ground experiencing it.

But the biggest wtf of all is... Who's going to care? Not in a, I'm at the park and I'd like to try it if the queue isn't ridiculous kind of care, the money creating kind of care? Now, that's not to say that enhances to guest experience only felt on park aren't super important, because they definitely are. Make a day good, rewarding, clean, friendly and throw in some awesome enhancing experiences and your guests happiness and likleiness to recommend and return multiples... But is this that kind of experience? I'm ...Not sure. To me this feels like a real niche concept, likely to turn as many people off as it will attract, if not more. VR is a hot topic, supposedly, and it often feels like everything Merlin does is for the sole aim of marketability. But not appropriate marketability. it's the kind that ticks boxes, but as an overall concept never sounds so great... It's interactive, it's new tech, it's an IP, etc. But no one stops to go... but, er, guys that doesn't sound compelling as a whole?

Will I try Galactica? Erm. That genuinely depends on if I'm content with the sanitation of those headsets. And also the queue length. I'm going to assume the queue will be long due to operational woes, not popularity... But it will be a good few months before we know. And even then, will last years backlash continue into this new season? Maybe appealing to the more forward thinking, sensible, tech loving crowd will be good for them. Its certainly better than had this years new thing been family focused.

I'm still shocked its not just a couple of rows and extra pay. Shocked.

Ben

CF Legend

So, Alton have released a video which shows a bit of a better look at how the VR headsets might sit on your face, screengrab is below;

CY6x9W2WUAAzUv3.jpg:large

It looks as if it's basically going to be strapped on to the restraint heavily with loads of padding on the headset so IF it did spite, it wouldn't hurt anyway.

Presumably then if you did V on it that outside bit can be taken off and washed etc.

I do agree with the rest of your post though Joey - I feel this will either REALLY work (it does work on Europa's, surprisingly, and Joey, you know me well enough to know I don't sugarcoat anything for anyone ever) or it'll be a complete wet fart - I don't feel it'll just fall in to "meh" territory either way.

I pray this works, because Alton NEED it to work, but, I can't help but feel if they went for a more tried and tested attraction it'd do more to help rebuild the brand.

Basically, they need to build an RMC next year and all their problems will be solved.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

My local paper ran an article headed "will you try Alton Towers new ride?" and nearly all the replies were along the lines of "eurgh the last one nearly killed people I'm not going on this!"

So I think Merlin's marketing team are making a mistake in not explaining it's a ride that's been running perfectly safely since 2002 or just getting a new, simple gimmick-free ride. I know it's been in development a while but considering The Smilers's issues Galactica just feels the wrong thing at the wrong time.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Imagine how annoying it will be if your headset breaks so you have to wear it whilst it's completely blank/dark for the whole ride. Then you probably WILL hurl- and you thought a broken gun on tomb blaster/duel was a pain!

Also only realised recently it will be using Samsung phones. Suppose that makes no difference to anything.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

I told a bunch of people about this from friends to relatives. Only one person already knew about it (gf) and all reactions were split between "That would make me feel sick" and "I would prefer to ride without it so I can see the ride and things around it".

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Ben said:
So, Alton have released a video which shows a bit of a better look at how the VR headsets might sit on your face, screengrab is below;

CY6x9W2WUAAzUv3.jpg:large

It looks as if it's basically going to be strapped on to the restraint heavily with loads of padding on the headset so IF it did spite, it wouldn't hurt anyway.

Presumably then if you did V on it that outside bit can be taken off and washed etc.

I do agree with the rest of your post though Joey - I feel this will either REALLY work (it does work on Europa's, surprisingly, and Joey, you know me well enough to know I don't sugarcoat anything for anyone ever) or it'll be a complete wet fart - I don't feel it'll just fall in to "meh" territory either way.

I pray this works, because Alton NEED it to work, but, I can't help but feel if they went for a more tried and tested attraction it'd do more to help rebuild the brand.

Basically, they need to build an RMC next year and all their problems will be solved.
Thanks for this Ben! Looking at the pic, I wonder if the padding bid is removed and washed after every use? That would make sense actually, but omg the impact on loooooading.

I'm not holding out on the RMC rumour anymore... I think we lost the window in which Merlin would be brave enough to greenlight something that supposedly sparks H&S concerns in guests. I am, however, hopeful of ongoing investment.

Robbie said:
My local paper ran an article headed "will you try Alton Towers new ride?" and nearly all the replies were along the lines of "eurgh the last one nearly killed people I'm not going on this!"

So I think Merlin's marketing team are making a mistake in not explaining it's a ride that's been running perfectly safely since 2002 or just getting a new, simple gimmick-free ride. I know it's been in development a while but considering The Smilers's issues Galactica just feels the wrong thing at the wrong time.
What people say and what they actually feel are two very, very different things, but it's still rather interesting just how many people think this is a brand new ride, but why wouldn't they I guess? There's no evidence it isn't unless you're a nerd.

People are weird when it comes to their perception of theme park H&S, and I'm obsessed with this now... When Merlin reported that guests perceived wooden coasters as unsafe (click here for evidence), I expected they were loading the question like "do you think wooden coasters are safe?" like when Thorpe Park asked "A roller coaster made of wood?! Would you?" on their Facebook page, implying that it's something unusual or extreme about wooden coasters (link to the post, the comments are a treat). But then I set up a stupid survey and asked people to "describe your opinion or any thoughts that come to mind in response to the roller coasters pictured below." and gave them a photo of Colossus, El Toro and Skyrush and I found the exact same results. (Link here!) I should really repeat this with a different set of photos, maybe an RMC.

But, most relevantly, I wrote a review of Skyrush where I describe how the ride's intensity as feeling like it's trying to throw you out and "it’ll physically demand you invest all your energy struggling for your life." (Link to my review.) I get quite a few hits to this post from people searching if Skyrush has killed anyone.

12036770_482385078606835_8250044624770662751_n.jpg

I also got a weird hit to the blog once from the search "I'm going to Thorpe Park and I'm scared I'll die".

...I conclude that people don't ACTUALLY believe these rides are dangerous in any way, it's this weird sort of exaggerative entertainment pseudo-fear. People playing up to it a bit? Reality is, if you were scared you might die, you wouldn't actually do something, would you?

So, people are weird. I think the vast majority of those being genuine in your local paper's comment responses wouldn't have gone to Alton anyway, because it just doesn't appeal, and once there's some reason to vocalise why their taste is the correct preference to have, they jump on it.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Apparently Air (Galactica) is getting a green screen photo point in it's queueline. Do they not have an on ride photo? I suppose is it a replacement for it because you'll be wearing the headsets. Green screen merlin mania! (I suppose if you ride without the headsets you might not be able to get one anymore, or possibly more likely they'll do both.)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

So Galactica will have a mobile game.

I smell microtransactions

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
So Galactica will have a mobile game.

I smell microtransactions

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk
To be fair The smiler has a game what didn't have micro - transactions, or if it did they weren't obvious.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Where abouts along the ride will this be? The goggles kind of render it useless for the riders.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Pink Panther said:
Where abouts along the ride will this be? The goggles kind of render it useless for the riders.
It's the bottom of the drop, and you don't have to wear the goggles.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

It's like a Blue Peter toilet roll tube and sticky tape version of Katun's "star gate". However, I'm all for added theme and stuff like this so hopefully it'll add to the experience for those watching the ride and/or those not wearing the VR kit onride.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I also don't quite understand why they haven't changed the track or supports, to at least make it look like it's new to the GP....