5 best UK rides/rollercoasters

A

Anonymous

Of the ones I have ridden then I would say:

Oblivion
Nemesis
Twist and Shout
Ultimate
I would love to say the Bullet or Magnum Force, but since I cant: Nemesis Inferno

A

Anonymous

For me:

Grand National
Trauma Towers
Nemesis
Saw: The Ride
The Ultimate

A

Anonymous

Out of the embarassingly small number of coasters I've been on, I'd say:

1. Pepsi Max Big One
2. Nemesis
3. Shockwave
4. Oblivion
5. Air

A

Anonymous

Brad said:
Newbie :roll:

Either way...
1. Nemesis
2. Oblivion
3. Grand National
4. Inferno
5. The Ultimate

Yes, just because I have a life and dont spend every waking moment on the internet.

Lofty

CF Legend
1) Nemesis.
2) Oblivion.
3) Big One.
4) Nemesis: Inferno - I just enjoy it and don't know why..
5) Air.

Hmm, our country has some fantastic coasters :roll: ..

Richie

Hyper Poster
1. Rita
2. The Ultimate
3. Jubilee Odyssey
4. Oblivion

That is all. I'm not 100% sure about that order though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
1. Oblivion
2. Nemesis
3. Megafobia
4. Grand National (September 2006 though, quite limited :p ).
5. Avalanche, maybe. We'll I love it anyway :p

Yeah, in no particular order, other than Avalanche which probably shouldn't be there.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
1. Oblivion
2. Nemesis
3. Megafobia
4. Grand National (September 2006 though, quite limited :p ).
5. Avalanche, maybe. We'll I love it anyway :p

Yeah, in no particular order, other than Avalanche which probably shouldn't be there.
Ew those two woodies. At least they've dropped from the page before.

Just curious, but are you like me in that you order things in differently depending on what you're ordering?

I cannot get over how bad the UK woods are. They are good and fun in the context of the UK with no outside influence, but it seems once anyone has the knowledge of the US woods or even Europe woods, they get completely reordered with new information and drop down.

I remember getting criticised for this a while ago from others. It's as if the impressiveness of certain rides deteriorates as you gain better examples, and those examples cannot just be slotted in above, they reorder everything.

Yeah.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I find the whole thing very difficult to be honest Joey. Certainly, as you broaden your experience then it changes your perception.

There's also two ways of looking at things; enjoyment and quality.

Jerry was shocked I loved Lightning Racer so much (it's still in my top ten). It's not a "better" coaster than Balder say, but the ride is incredibly good fun and immensely re-ridable. Just because it's a family ride not based on "steepness and airtime and everything else enthusiasts crave" doesn't stop it from being a brilliant laugh. Sometimes you just have to put how much you enjoy a ride over how many boxes are being ticked.

One thing I searched and searched for was a ride that could cover Megafobia for me. Megafobia isn't a great overall ride. The first drop is good, but not spectacular. However, the second drop is always superb for me, every single time. I adore that second drop. It's got the right amount of ejector, at the right speed (for me, maybe not everyone) with exactly the right pull up and exactly the right speed over the next hill. It works to set up the rest of the ride for me. While I know the rest of the ride trails off a lot, it doesn't matter because I buzz from that second hill for five minutes. I always sit on the brake run with a big grin on my face on Megafobia.

So it's not a great coaster, but I really enjoy it, it pushes the right buttons in my pleasure centre. El Toro was much more thrilling and the insane ejector hill surpassed Megafobia. It's a much better coaster and ticks all the right boxes and hit most of my buttons, but I didn't "gut" enjoy El Toro more than Megafobia. It's a bit like the difference between watching an episode of Blackadder Goes Fourth and All Quiet on the Western front. One is full of belly laughs, the other is compelling and emotional. Both are superb in their own ways, the latter being the "better" piece of televisual media, but I'd rather watch Blackadder every week. It doesn't detract from the other, it's just about an accessibility.

The Nash for me is very similar. The run I had in 2006 was sheer joy. It combined the fun of Lightning Racer with (almost) the joy of Megafobia. The airtime was sharp, sustained and delicious. The Nash has been like that for me a lot over the 30 years I've been riding it. It's just that when it's running badly, it's a nasty POS. I've criticised Baco for the same thing - inconsistency and The Nash is dead for me now, I no longer travel to Blackpool yearly just to ride it. I may still get a good run, others may still get a good run, but I can't say it's a good ride any more :(

So yeah, there we are. It's complicated. I think that as my experience has enhanced, I don't do things quite as simple as "Nemesis was a 10/10 coaster, then I went on Talon which was better, so Talon gets 10/10 and Nemesis is now 9/10. Then I went on Alpengeist which was better than Talon, so Talon gets a 9/10, Nemesis an 8/10, etc."

Nemesis is still a 10/10 ride (if that's how you want to rate it). It's just not as good a 10/10 ride as Alpengeist. Oblivion I love, the rush is superb and I can ride it over and over and just adore it. However, it's just a drop into a hole. It's superb, but it's not a 10/10 coaster because it's so short and lacking. It does what it does brilliantly, but... However, it's probably my favourite ride at Alton over Nemesis. Personal gratification outweighs the box ticking and personal gratification is an important thing.

I think I've explained that :lol:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I agree.

I put Lightning Racer.... err, 4th and 5th best wood on my list. I can't remember what their differences were, I just remember them being really really, really good fun. I think they might be my favourite visual coaster. Watching the other train dance about, around and under you is... just ... breathtaking, to be honest. It helps that Hershey Park is a very, very good park, and it helps that, thanks to Jerry, we got two night times there.

As for inconsistancy, I dunno if I agree or not. Beast during the day... good, Beast at night... Mindblowing. Utterly mindblowing. How it changes so much is actually beyond me. It is just so... terrifying, fantastic and. Blew me away. So I put it... 3rd... After Toro and Voyage.

What you experiance with Megafobia is a bit alien to me. I'm not overly impressed with that ride. I find it quite a forgettable coaster. It's just a number.

Odd isn't it. How we can agree so heavilly on one ride, and on the next... not get it at all. I got a lot of dissopointment out of a few rides in the US, because I assumed based on likes I share with other people that they'd be good. Like Millenium Force, Magnum force and everything else at Cedar Point minus Maverick. (which is the best coaster in the world, annoyingly.)

nealbie

CF Legend
It would appear I've neglected to contribute!

1. Nemesis - It really is just THAT good.
2. Colossus - My GOD this thing makes me moist.....
3. Oblivion - The one trick of JOY!
4. Dragon's Fury - Amazing spinny goodness + airtime
5. Spinball Whizzer - Not QUITE as good as Fury

Also, as a side note, all I can see on the 'recently posted' list is Lofty and Linky - and it makes them look like a cute little married couple! :p

wakey1512

Roller Poster
Coasters including that of when they was originally opened:

1) Nemesis
2) Jubilee Odyssey (has always been rough from day 1)
3) Kumali (remarkebly smooth when opened)
4) Colossus
5) Pepsi Max

Coasters today in 2011 (with a few from the top list knocked off as some are unbearable to ride)

1) Nemesis
2) Oblivion
3) Stealth
4) Pepsi Max
5) Rita QOS

pebs34

Roller Poster
1 Nemisis
2 Stealth
3 Oblivion
4 Velocity
5 Vampire. Not the best by any stretch, but i have always had a soft spot.