What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
According to Jack Silkstone's latest closed season update from Thorpe Park, stuff is now happening in Old Town:
The things that have happened include:
  • Lumber Jump has disappeared, and Timber Tug Boat may possibly have gone as well.
  • Fences have gone up and minor work is beginning around where Creek Freak Massacre was located.
  • Deconstruction work on Platform 15 has commenced.
Slammer is currently still intact, and Rocky Express' theming also remains intact at present, but the status of the hardware itself is unknown.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
According to Jack Silkstone's latest closed season update from Thorpe Park, stuff is now happening in Old Town:
The things that have happened include:
  • Lumber Jump has disappeared, and Timber Tug Boat may possibly have gone as well.
  • Fences have gone up and minor work is beginning around where Creek Freak Massacre was located.
  • Deconstruction work on Platform 15 has commenced.
Slammer is currently still intact, and Rocky Express' theming also remains intact at present, but the status of the hardware itself is unknown.
Something interesting to note, Lumber Jump is remaining on the park's ride list online while Timber Tug Boat has disappeared. Rocky Express is gone too.

They still list Lumber Jump as being in Old Town, my best guess is they either haven't decided on a relocation or haven't yet updated things.

The park generally announces stuff in the middle to back half of February so I'm guessing that's when we get closure on where Lumber Jump might be going. My personal guess is in the Amity area, I vaguely remember there being an unused space somewhere around Tidal Wave...

JoshC.

Strata Poster
RE Timber Tug Boat. It was partially deconstructed in November, having the 'top section' removed, which is the only part you could see down Monks Walk.

Lumber Jump's removal is more recent, and I think Rocky Express is still in situ.

Unless we see them form a part of a bigger project (ie retheme of an area / introduction of an IP), I don't see any potential move of Lumber and/or Timber being announced. They're very small rides which don't attract much of an audience, and aren't in line with the park's direction. When they were introduced in 2017, there was no fanfare or announcement, so I don't see why there would be for moving them. And given that Lumber Jump in particular could probably be rolled onto a small truck and moved and set up in a week, it's probably not an urgent thing that needs doing.

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
I am totally obsessed with how this thing looks on the skyline! As said before, giving a mini CP vibes but I love it; very much compliments the existing line up to… now the only spot on the skyline that is missing something is between Swarm and Stealth but that can wait! The more I see about this coaster, the more exciting it’s getting!

Yes it dwarfs Saw but I don’t think it’ll take away anything major.. if anything I see Saw and Colossus and the two filler coasters of the park but people will want to ride them regardless. The fact Colossus throws you upside down 10x and Saw is just Saw, it’s what it’s known for… all in due time though I guess! I think this ride was well strategically placed being next to two other major coasters, will hopefully help with queues etc but time will tell.

Enough from me!

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Been a while since this thread was active...

Thorpe Park have announced on their pages that Lumber Jump has been relocated to Amity Cove and has received a brand new name - High Striker. Not sure exactly how it'll fit into the area but it's great to see that they're making an effort to keep the kids rides as well as giving them a slight 'glow up'. It's also a sign that things are still moving along with the new project as much as they can at present.

It shouldn't be too much longer now until the consolation responses have been reviewed and a decision/design is finalised for council submission. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly and we could hopefully see development work pick up at the back end of this year!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Are changes a-coming?

A new document has appeared on a planning application related to Project Exodus, which shows a change in boundary...

Before:

After:
image.png.0aef87cd592ddd938e8b3e276df6dae2.png

And to show this more clearly, here's the size of area that's been added; the green line is roughly the old cut off point:
image.png.46d34c68abc25a4ee82a66cc0c4b7630.png

The area now includes the Platform 15 route up to the bridge (the old railway route for the older amongst us), as well as more parts over water, including the Loggers track over there.

The document uploaded suggest this is due to a "recent design development":
1645453089096.png

Now I don't think this necessarily means that the layout could change (which I'm sure plenty of people will jump to). However, it's certainly possible.

If we look at the original plan, the coaster doesn't hit all the way to the boundary, but does come close. And I believe the boundary plan is just where they will do any sort of work. So it could be just for access during construction, or to create an engineering route, for example.

We won't know exactly what this means until the full plans go in, but for now, there's a slither of evidence to suggest that changes to the layout are possible.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Are changes a-coming?

A new document has appeared on a planning application related to Project Exodus, which shows a change in boundary...

Before:

After:
image.png.0aef87cd592ddd938e8b3e276df6dae2.png

And to show this more clearly, here's the size of area that's been added; the green line is roughly the old cut off point:
image.png.46d34c68abc25a4ee82a66cc0c4b7630.png

The area now includes the Platform 15 route up to the bridge (the old railway route for the older amongst us), as well as more parts over water, including the Loggers track over there.

The document uploaded suggest this is due to a "recent design development":
View attachment 16306

Now I don't think this necessarily means that the layout could change (which I'm sure plenty of people will jump to). However, it's certainly possible.

If we look at the original plan, the coaster doesn't hit all the way to the boundary, but does come close. And I believe the boundary plan is just where they will do any sort of work. So it could be just for access during construction, or to create an engineering route, for example.

We won't know exactly what this means until the full plans go in, but for now, there's a slither of evidence to suggest that changes to the layout are possible.
Thanks for that Josh

Like you, I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but 'Due to recent design development' does sound like there will either be a change to the layout, or a significant amount of theming in that area.

If by some miracle they have listened to feedback regarding it's length, then my god, do they need applauding!!!!

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I almost think the layout is completely fine as is. Perhaps the extension could be so the splashdown doesn't trim as hard resulting in the following outerbank, turnaround and airtime hill being pushed out?

Although that triangle thing going off to the right caused by the new extension says otherwise... I hope things don't change too much because the current element package, while not a large number of them, can still push the coaster to becoming world class.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I almost think the layout is completely fine as is. Perhaps the extension could be so the splashdown doesn't trim as hard resulting in the following outerbank, turnaround and airtime hill being pushed out?

Although that triangle thing going off to the right caused by the new extension says otherwise... I hope things don't change too much because the current element package, while not a large number of them, can still push the coaster to becoming world class.
I just want some ejector hops at the end... Haha... I live for those, often my favourite element on coasters that have them (Goliath at WH, Zadra, Untamed, RTH for example.)

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I just want some ejector hops at the end... Haha... I live for those, often my favourite element on coasters that have them (Goliath at WH, Zadra, Untamed for example.)
Good idea actually, Wilde Maus XXL taught me well!! Although most people are now convinced there is no layout change at all now - perhaps maintenance roads, maintenance buildings or getting rid of a bit more Logger's.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Good idea actually, Wilde Maus XXL taught me well!! Although most people are now convinced there is no layout change at all now - perhaps maintenance roads, maintenance buildings or getting rid of a bit more Logger's.
Like I said, not getting my hopes up either, but 'Due to recent design development' is certainly an interesting choice to open with.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Forgive me for continually posting random pictures, but here's an overlay of the two plans, which is probably the clearest look at how the development area has been extended:
1645455308949.png

As Nicky says, the "design development" line is interesting, and gives cause to believe layout changes. But even then, it is a broad term. It could just refer to the design of how the park's engineering team access the supports for maintenance purposes. It could be to add theming (something which was highly absent from the consultation).

Now, if this for a layout change, I have an idea for what it could be. And I don't expect it to be anything drastic.

Many people noted that the ride takes a lot of speed into the suspected splash zone area, and that that area could be quite trimmed. And even if not, it does have a lot of speed and doesn't do a lot.
I expect that the short layout is, in part, a creative choice. The ride very much looks designed to be big, fast-paced and hard hitting. Rather than creating a long, drawn out experience, it seems to be a "throw everything at you as quickly as possible" experience, designed so that when you hit the brakes, you're left stunned, and begging for more in a good way. You won't feel short changed, but you'll want to go round again.

So a potential adaptation to the layout would be as follows:
1645455763635.png

Now forgive the crude drawing, but let me explain what this would achieve:

-A straight section post-splashdown, to include one or two powerful airtime hills.
-A new turnaround, which could be dragged out for some sustained forces, or be quirky / different (like the other turnaround)
-Give more space pre-brake run for another airtime hill, rather than the airtime moment post-turnaround as currently suggested.

My particular thought on the final point is that they could create a 'double down' airtime moment which is similar to Loggers Leap's drop. This would be in the exact same position as Loggers drop, and serve as a reminder/Easter egg/reference/whatever you want to call it to the ride (something that Thorpe and John Burton, the likely Creative Lead of the project, love doing).

This would address the concern which a lot of people had about the ride's ending, whilst keeping in line with the (what I expect to be) feel of the ride. May not be everyone's cup of tea or what people want, but it's what I feel would be most likely. Equally, I think this is a sufficient change to improve the ride.

Obviously, this is all speculation. But I don't see anything more significant than this.

Matt N

CF Legend
It could well be for a layout change; I do think it would be nice if they were able to add in a few straight airtime hills, as much as I think the layout is very impressive already given the site and Merlin’s tight budget! And Merlin may well have listened to some of the enthusiasts complaining about the length and lengthened it slightly!

However, there’s one thing that puts me off the prospect of a layout change, and that’s the wording and level of detail they’ve chosen to justify this change. If this was for a layout change, surely it would say something like “an alteration to the scope of the ride” that would have been spelled out to the planners in more depth (for instance, I imagine they’d have to outline any new footers being poured or whatever, as well as any new high points in that area), as opposed to “cut and edge landscaping”. That to me suggests some sort of more minor work away from the ride itself; I did notice that the new area encompasses the entirety of Loggers’ former plot whereas the old area didn’t, so perhaps the “design development” is that they’ve decided to demolish the remaining bits of Logger’s that weren’t covered in the initial scope? As has also been said, the original layout doesn’t quite fill the full outlined area, so surely a layout extension could in theory be done within the current boundary if they wanted one?

Don’t get me wrong, it could well be for a layout change (I don’t know much about how planning works for that type of thing), but something tells me that the planners wouldn’t be happy if Thorpe tried to pass off a layout extension as “landscaping”… I’d expect them to have to go into greater detail for something like that, or at very least specify “an extension to the scope of the ride”.

It’s worth remembering that the wooded section of The Flume was technically considered part of Wicker Man’s site during the planning process, but this was only due to the removal of the wooded section of The Flume; Wicker Man did not ultimately end up using the wooded area at all.

To be honest, I don’t think Exodus really needs a layout change, personally. Yes, it’s not the longest coaster, and it doesn’t look to be a straight airtime machine in the way that many were hoping for, but given the site, the budget and the brief, I think it’s already pretty impressive myself!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It could well be for a layout change; I do think it would be nice if they were able to add in a few straight airtime hills, as much as I think the layout is very impressive already given the site and Merlin’s tight budget! And Merlin may well have listened to some of the enthusiasts complaining about the length and lengthened it slightly!

However, there’s one thing that puts me off the prospect of a layout change, and that’s the wording and level of detail they’ve chosen to justify this change. If this was for a layout change, surely it would say something like “an alteration to the scope of the ride” that would have been spelled out to the planners in more depth (for instance, I imagine they’d have to outline any new footers being poured or whatever, as well as any new high points in that area), as opposed to “cut and edge landscaping”. That to me suggests some sort of more minor work away from the ride itself; I did notice that the new area encompasses the entirety of Loggers’ former plot whereas the old area didn’t, so perhaps the “design development” is that they’ve decided to demolish the remaining bits of Logger’s that weren’t covered in the initial scope? As has also been said, the original layout doesn’t quite fill the full outlined area, so surely a layout extension could in theory be done within the current boundary if they wanted one?

Don’t get me wrong, it could well be for a layout change (I don’t know much about how planning works for that type of thing), but something tells me that the planners wouldn’t be happy if Thorpe tried to pass off a layout extension as “landscaping”… I’d expect them to have to go into greater detail for something like that, or at very least specify “an extension to the scope of the ride”.

It’s worth remembering that the wooded section of The Flume was technically considered part of Wicker Man’s site during the planning process, but this was only due to the removal of the wooded section of The Flume; Wicker Man did not ultimately end up using the wooded area at all.

To be honest, I don’t think Exodus really needs a layout change, personally. Yes, it’s not the longest coaster, and it doesn’t look to be a straight airtime machine in the way that many were hoping for, but given the site, the budget and the brief, I think it’s already pretty impressive myself!
They haven’t submitted final plans yet… Have they?

Matt N

CF Legend
They haven’t submitted final plans yet… Have they?
They haven’t, but I still feel like the planners and locals would want to know in more detail about any extension to the scope of the layout. And I feel like trying to pass one off as “landscaping” wouldn’t go down well.

I could be wrong there, though…

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
They haven’t, but I still feel like the planners and locals would want to know in more detail about any extension to the scope of the layout. And I feel like trying to pass one off as “landscaping” wouldn’t go down well.

I could be wrong there, though…
They will ‘need’ to know, but not until plans are submitted. All that has happened so far is a public consultation. Any changes, that are of no additional consequence to the public in any way, will not need to be consulted on again.*

Either way, we will likely see why this has happened as soon as planning is submitted. :)

*Not fully anyway, they have obviously added the change to the consultation site, and people are free to contact them with any concerns.