What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
To back up my point, here is a current view into Old Town (well, a view from April 2017, but this particular view hasn't changed hugely since then):
[IMG]

Taking into account that Exodus' station is going around where Timber Tug Boat and the old Canada Creek Railway station are located, this is, roughly speaking, what the same view will look like when Exodus opens:
[IMG]

To put this into some perspective, every pre-splashdown element on Exodus is taller than the highest points on both Saw and Colossus by a fair margin.

The current view of Colossus (98ft) from this point is:
[IMG]

And if we go a little further into the area, the current view of Saw (100ft) is:
[IMG]

Given that these coasters look fairly towering now and they're less than half the size... I think it's safe to say that Exodus will well and truly redefine the skyline of this section of the park!

Matt N

CF Legend
@Matt N Does this help? (Red circle is Saw)
Yes, that helps massively; thank you!

Wow... that really dwarfs Saw, to the extent where you can barely even see it within the huge Exodus structure! I find that quite hard to fathom, given that I've taken plenty of photos from that viewpoint in the past and always found Saw to look quite dominant in that corner of the park...

I've got to admit, even though this isn't an out and back like I'd originally hoped for, and won't have quite the same type of visual impact, I still think the impact it'll have will be pretty nuts... the fact that it manages to make the currently fairly dominant-looking Saw and Colossus look so tiny in comparison to it is completely bananas, and I'll admit that I am looking forward to seeing a coaster of that sheer size take shape in the UK!

Even though I always think of Saw and Colossus as fairly dominant rides currently, I think that this will absolutely trample on both in terms of visual impact (to an extent that I wasn't expecting), and compared to everything else on that side of the park, it almost looks like a David & Goliath-type situation... the elements on this are absolutely massive!

Matt N

CF Legend
For some perspective, this is the last picture I took of Saw from a similar viewpoint, back in September 2021:
8566-AAB7-405-B-483-A-BF79-D53-AC04-E0-A50.jpg

Given how Saw still looks fairly dominant there, I think Exodus will really redefine that corner of Thorpe Park!

Also, a thought just dawned upon me. You know how Alton Towers has to keep every element of their coasters below the tree line? I’m not sure any element of Exodus will stick below the tree line other than the station, brake run and pre-lift section…

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
For some perspective, this is the last picture I took of Saw from a similar viewpoint, back in September 2021:
8566-AAB7-405-B-483-A-BF79-D53-AC04-E0-A50.jpg

Given how Saw still looks fairly dominant there, I think Exodus will really redefine that corner of Thorpe Park!

Also, a thought just dawned upon me. You know how Alton Towers has to keep every element of their coasters below the tree line? I’m not sure any element of Exodus will stick below the tree line other than the station, brake run and pre-lift section…

It is going to be obscene... I love it!!! The skyline from the car park and other surrounding areas is already fantastic, and gives me mini CP vibes, but this is going to make it even better. I can't wait.

P.s... That poor girl in your photo... If looks could kill I think you're close to death in this photo Matt 🙈🤣

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
I was quite worried about how Project Exodus would completely dwarf Colossus and Saw though it's only Saw that sits beneath Exodus . On the plus side, it'll mean shorter queues for us at Saw xD

Matt N

CF Legend
It is going to be obscene... I love it!!! The skyline from the car park and other surrounding areas is already fantastic, and gives me mini CP vibes, but this is going to make it even better. I can't wait.

P.s... That poor girl in your photo... If looks could kill I think you're close to death in this photo Matt 🙈🤣
I’ve always thought of Thorpe’s coaster skyline as quite dominant (among the most dominant in the UK, for sure; it’s what I imagine an American park would look like), and I think Exodus will only exacerbate that… it looks like it’ll have a presence that no other Thorpe coaster will quite match! Yes, I know Stealth is 205ft tall, but it’s quite confined and only has the one real high point, whereas this is 31ft taller again and has 4 pretty high elements spread across a huge site (even though the site’s fairly small by hyper coaster standards, it’s nearly twice the size of any other Thorpe coaster site!), so I think its overall presence might outweigh that of Stealth’s somewhat. I know we don’t know exactly, but would I be correct in assuming that every pre-splashdown element on Exodus is taller than all of Thorpe’s other coasters apart from Stealth?

As for the photo; oh gosh, I hadn’t even noticed that! I was aiming to capture Saw in the background, but she clearly didn’t like me being there, did she… maybe I should aim to not capture people in my photos in future?

Snurt2theHark

Roller Poster
I was quite worried about how Project Exodus would completely dwarf Colossus and Saw though it's only Saw that sits beneath Exodus . On the plus side, it'll mean shorter queues for us at Saw xD
I think it could have the opposite impact actually, if Exodus raises attendance significantly enough, it may even create longer queue times for Colossus and Saw as those rides will be what most gets choose to ride before or after their ride on Exodus. However in the longer term it could make the other rides look more outdated leading to lower ridership over the next 5+ years after Exodus (and hopefully other additions) opens.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Speaking of Colossus, I had a rather interesting thought about it.

With Exodus having some rather big, impressive-looking inversions within it as its primary elements (including what many are saying will be the world’s tallest inversion, although I’ll admit I’m unsure on that one given that that record currently sits at 197ft; I’d certainly nominate it for the UK’s or even Europe’s tallest inversion, though), as well as being a more traditional sit-down coaster in style (unlike, say, Saw with its beyond vertical drop and more compact cars), could they potentially have built it to fill the niche of big multi-looper that Colossus currently occupies as well as to break the UK height record?

I know that Colossus would have the 10 inversions as a substantial boost over Exodus, so it’d still be far from redundant by any means (the most I can see Exodus having is 3, by the looks of things), but now that the ride’s key selling point of the world inversion record has long since been beaten over at Alton Towers (and a newer version of the same layout is being built at Flamingo Land), could the park be psyching Exodus up to replace it as the park’s “big, impressive inversion coaster”? It’ll be a much bigger, more dominant ride than Colossus is at present, with some much larger inversions, and although we obviously can’t judge yet, it looks like it’ll satisfy the demands of the modern market more than Colossus does at present (for instance, less restrictive restraints and greater negative g’s; even if there’s no straight airtime hills on Exodus like Colossus’ bunny hill, I do think some of those elements have a fair shout at working negative g’s into them, whereas I stayed firmly in my seat for the entire ride last time I rode Colossus, even over the aforementioned bunny hill… not a scrap of airtime to be found anywhere, unfortunately).

So seeing as Colossus doesn’t seem to be an overly loved ride from what I can gather (while I won’t deny it has its fans, it doesn’t really seem to have a huge fan following, and not too many like it a huge amount), as well as that it’s Thorpe’s oldest thrill coaster and it has been usurped at its original purpose even within the UK, my question is; could Exodus have been built to fill its niche in 2024 so that they can remove Colossus in preparation for their next coaster in the late 2020s or so? Let’s say this hypothetical coaster comes in 2028, 4 years after Exodus; that would likely see Colossus removed at the end of 2026, by which point it’ll be 24 years old. That isn’t overly young for a coaster by any stretch…

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
I can see them removing Saw at some point but I reckon they'll develop a coaster on the island behind Swarm before then. Going back to Exodus, it certainly will be the most impressive inverting coaster in the park. The hangtime through the stall/immelmmann will elevate it above anything else in the UK.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
my question is; could Exodus have been built to fill its niche in 2024 so that they can remove Colossus in preparation for their next coaster in the late 2020s or so? Let’s say this hypothetical coaster comes in 2028, 4 years after Exodus; that would likely see Colossus removed at the end of 2026, by which point it’ll be 24 years old. That isn’t overly young for a coaster by any stretch…
I don’t think Thorpe would look to remove any of it’s existing line-up untill the development of the island behind Swarm and then linking that island with Stealth, unless a ride becomes a significant burden and too costly to maintain.

I do think I can see this coaster more superseding Saw: The Ride more than Colossus, if Thorpe was to lose the Saw IP rights after Exodus opens, I am not sure how much Saw would pull on it’s own without the theme, especially with Exodus sharing three of the main elements.

Hypothetically speaking I also just can’t see the next coaster being 2028, it would more likely be 2030 at the earliest, given that it would have been 8 years between DBGT opening, and Exodus opening as majour investments (assuming Exodus is 2024). We might get lucky with a flat ride to replace Slammer after Exodus, but this is also Merlin we are talking about, and the concept of a new thrill flat ride at Thorpe are not a combination that go together 🤣

Last edited:

catsounds

Mega Poster
I think it could have the opposite impact actually, if Exodus raises attendance significantly enough, it may even create longer queue times for Colossus and Saw as those rides will be what most gets choose to ride before or after their ride on Exodus. However in the longer term it could make the other rides look more outdated leading to lower ridership over the next 5+ years after Exodus (and hopefully other additions) opens.
Yeah when Saw opened Colossus was always the next busiest in the park, Saw and Colossus will probably have huge queues when this opens

Swat

Mega Poster
I do think I can see this coaster more superseding Saw: The Ride more than Colossus, if Thorpe was to lose the Saw IP rights after Exodus opens, I am not sure how much Saw would pull on it’s own without the theme, especially with Exodus sharing three of the main elements.
Saw is staying for a very long time even if they lose the IP. No one rides it because its based of a film with outside of spin offs had a Saw branded film released 12 years ago. Most of Thorpes main demographic would have been between 4 and 10 years old in 2010.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Saw is staying for a very long time even if they lose the IP. No one rides it because its based of a film with outside of spin offs had a Saw branded film released 12 years ago. Most of Thorpes main demographic would have been between 4 and 10 years old in 2010.
As a father of a 17 and 18 year old, I can assure you, them and their friends very much enjoy the saw movies. They all seem to be a tad obsessed with all things horror right now, from old to new movies, and even horror computer games. I don't think the IP is 'past it.' just yet.

James F

Hyper Poster
Saw has now gained "legacy" status in the horror world. Properties like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Saw aren't going anywhere as long as the studios keep milking their money making cows, which they will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Last edited: