What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

Matt N

CF Legend
I think this could be really exciting for Kings Island! From the footage, it almost reminds me of the last part of Fury condensed into one ride, and that bit of Fury gets rave reviews, so I can see Orion being popular!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I agree actually, think this is gonna be one helluva ride. Better than Fury? Nah, but I do think it looks more fun than Leviathan, which I personally found a tad underwhelming to begin with.
Not gonna make it a priority, don't feel the need to rush back there anytime soon, but I'll certainly be doing the CP/KI combo again at some point and when I do I'll look forward to giving this bad boy a few laps.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I know from experience, Air and Nemesis run very differently and faster on hard wheels, but they are very very loud (illegally so). So this maybe a case of that as you can see in the videos this thing is LOUD atm. There is a tendency to do this when testing in the cold to prevent the danger of valleying. Saying that though, I wouldn't expect the softer wheels to dampen the speed too much, and when it runs in the summer it should get back up to speed.
Is this actually a thing? I ask really in respect of the whole ‘warming up’ thing. Are there really ‘hard and soft’ wheels for roller coasters, as opposed to the mere option of ‘noise reducing’ wheels? Do you work on roller coasters?

I’m not asking to be difficult - I’m interested.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Is this actually a thing? I ask really in respect of the whole ‘warming up’ thing. Are there really ‘hard and soft’ wheels for roller coasters, as opposed to the mere option of ‘noise reducing’ wheels? Do you work on roller coasters?

I’m not asking to be difficult - I’m interested.
He worked at Alton for a number of years, he knows his stuff.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Oh boy, the forum's about to get a bit more exciting for a few days!

giphy.gif

Bartzabel

Roller Poster
Looking at the test runs, it is running faster than I expected. I noticed the same thing with Leviathan in 2012, until they switched the wheels and activated one of the two trims. I still think Leviathan will be better (the first four elements + drop look much better) BUT! the make or break element for me is if you get sideways airtime on that 90 degree banked turn (no it's not a wave turn). I know the speed hill will be great, so will the airtime hill, I don't care about the turnaround nor the helix, but that banked turn....

i305_zack

Mega Poster
Looking at the test runs, it is running faster than I expected. I noticed the same thing with Leviathan in 2012, until they switched the wheels and activated one of the two trims. I still think Leviathan will be better (the first four elements + drop look much better) BUT! the make or break element for me is if you get sideways airtime on that 90 degree banked turn (no it's not a wave turn). I know the speed hill will be great, so will the airtime hill, I don't care about the turnaround nor the helix, but that banked turn....
Dang, I was hoping someone was saying that this thing was testing again, I really just wanna see everything open back up and go back to normal as soon as possible

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Dang, I was hoping someone was saying that this thing was testing again, I really just wanna see everything open back up and go back to normal as soon as possible
Mid-May is the best intel we have at this point. :(