What's new

Parc Astérix | Toutatis | Intamin Launch Coaster | 2023

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Don’t forget Walibi Belgium has another big coaster planned after they finished their 5 year plan...which is somewhere around 2024. During a Q&A, they said they wouldn’t say no to a RMC conversion of Loup-Garou...so that might be an option?

After the reveal of their Mega Coaster, you never know how they might surprise us again!
Source? Nowhere heard that before...

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Don’t forget Walibi Belgium has another big coaster planned after they finished their 5 year plan...which is somewhere around 2024. During a Q&A, they said they wouldn’t say no to a RMC conversion of Loup-Garou...so that might be an option?

After the reveal of their Mega Coaster, you never know how they might surprise us again!

Imagine another Compagnie des Alpes double whammy announcing RMC Loup Garou & RMC Tonnerre de Zeus. Boy that would be an epic sequel to what is already set in motion! :eek:

balrog

Mega Poster
It would be incredible, but with Tonnerre de Zeus being retracked as we speak, I just don't see it happening.
Plus, Parc Asterix needs to keep at least one non inverting thrill coaster, and that crazy new intamin ain't it.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Well damn wasn't expecting that. When they announced this saying they were inspired by Taron I thought this would simply be another amazing multi launch like Taron or Taiga. But this is ... something else. Looks insane. Shame we have to wait until 2021. :confused:

Also just thinking about it overall the next 3 years in Europe are seriously going to be exciting since we're getting:
Walibi Holland's RMC,
Linnanmäki's Intamin Multi-Launch,
Phantasialand's Multi-Launch new Vekoma flying coaster,
Gerstlauer Infinities in Bobbejaanland and Walibi Rhone Alpes,
Efteling's 2020 and 2021 coasters,
Energylandia's RMC (and whatever else they'll knock up in those years),
Europa Park's 2021 one of a kind major coaster,
Grona Lund's B&M Invert,
Walibi Belgium's Intamin Mega Coaster,
+ this Intamin launcher in Asterix.
And god knows what else is still to be announced. Got a lot of saving for trips to do :D

If all goes to plan I'm going to be incredibly skint and incredibly satisfied for the next few years.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Also Werewolf in Walibi isn't bad :( I don't want it to go... Nobody wants it to go.
Also it seems pretty hard to RMC a Wooden Twister as everything is so close to eachother

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't think I'd lose too much sleep if they just spited Loup Garou altogether to fit the new Intamin in.

Reactions: Ben

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I want Loup Garou to be RMC’d so cant say nobody wants it.

Mostly because it’s turd.
I don't think I'd lose too much sleep if they just spited Loup Garou altogether to fit the new Intamin in.
But how many times did you ride it? It's one of those coasters where you can have a bad ride on it and it really hurts a lot. But imo 90% of my rides on it are without any pain (I ride it a lot)
On top of that it has pretty good airtime moments for such a small coaster
But okay, this topic is about Parc Asterix :p

Ben

CF Legend
But how many times did you ride it? It's one of those coasters where you can have a bad ride on it and it really hurts a lot. But imo 90% of my rides on it are without any pain (I ride it a lot)
On top of that it has pretty good airtime moments for such a small coaster
But okay, this topic is about Parc Asterix :p

A ride that you have to get lucky and not get a ride that hurts is not a good ride and would in no way compare to an RMC...

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
As part of my reporting duties for CoastersWorld.fr, I emailed Intamin Vice-President Sascha Czibulka to briefly discuss the project. He kindly answered my short questions :)

Q: What makes the unique triple Half-Pipe launch element possible?

Czibulka: This is possible due to a highly sophisticated fast-switch in combination with a special electric control system, allowing to abort the launch with stand-still of the train (i.e. if the switch does not act, the train does to a stop).

Q: What makes the "Anticipation Stall" element special?

Czibulka: It is the first of its kind element on a launch coaster. The train “crawls“ at extremely low speed and without any jolting through a set of magnetic brakes. By doing so the passengers are able to increase their anticipation of the following drop and at the same time also the following track layout, since they can see quite a bit of it.

Here is also a clean version of the announcement paper you've all seen:

OTDAWA3.jpg

Source: https://coastersworld.fr/annonces-compagnie-des-alpes-iaapa/

Last edited:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Dar

Hyper Poster
Excellent bit of info! Thanks for sharing!

The control system doesn't surprise me, but it's still quite a bold move.

I'm thinking retractable magnetic fins down the spike, with a proper pinch brake before the switch? It probably wouldn't be very comfy but it would be safe!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I'm thinking retractable magnetic fins down the spike, with a proper pinch brake before the switch? It probably wouldn't be very comfy but it would be safe!
Would the fins even need to be retractable on an LSM coaster? can the launch fins do the job?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Would the fins even need to be retractable on an LSM coaster? can the launch fins do the job?
That's right, if you kill all the power to the LSM fins, they behave just like a normal magnetic brake.

If I was a betting man, I'd reckon they've designed the fins to be able to stop the train in the first valley, should the right switch contacts not be made.