What's new

Your worst spite

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
What coaster have you been spited on that you were looking forward to the most? I'm not talking about a normal home park visit, or a park that you have been to before. I am talking about what has been the worst spite you have experienced at a park it took some decent travel time to get to? On your first visit. Luckily, I have not had any awful spites, but I'm sure one will come if I am able to hit SDC, CP, KI, KK, and HW this summer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kingda Ka. Was down the entire time I was in the US. I'm not actually bothered about the ride to be honest, it's just that it would have been nice to tell people I've been on the tallest and fastest coaster in the world.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Montu was down for maintenance when I visited BGT. Otherwise there are no major spites I've encountered on my travels so far (I don't count a supposedly terrible SLC as a spite...).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Not awful spites by any means but as they aren't/probably won't be operating anymore they are just annoying.

Gwazi and Vleermuis both down for maintainance.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I got rained out from half of Kentucky Kingdom, Gate Keeper had a broken lift the day I went, and SFA closed an hour and a half too early for me to get all of the creds.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Either quite privileged or woefully under-travelled by my worst is probably Python at Efteling! :p

Ben

CF Legend
Shockwave at KD was shut the first time we went and then the whole park was shut this year, and now it's gone </3

I guess technically it's I305 spiting this year cause the park was shut for weather, but, it'll be there for ages so I know I'll ride it one day?

The S&S Launched Coaster at Happy Valley Shenzhen wasn't open when we went either (it was delayed), but, again, I'll go back, so, I'll ride it?

I'm more bothered if something is shut and then it's removed, and I think it's only really Shockwave that's happened with?

I didn't ride one of the kiddies at Asterix cause I didn't realise it existed and then it got spited - but it's turned up again and I'm getting it in April yay.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
My time in California sadly overlapped with the installation of Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, which meant I never got to ride Superman throughout various trips to SFMM.

I have also been rained out at SFFT and SFOT on various roller coasters. Really sorry that I missed Shockwave of all of them, as that is one older steel I've always been fascinated with.

But the latest spite, and what I would classify as the worst, was only getting to ride one side of Thunder Road at Carowinds the week before it was torn down. We were on the next train to be dispatched, when a crack of thunder ripped through the air, closing the ride for what turned out to be the rest of the day. I was fortunate to ride one side of the roller coaster, but only just that.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
furie said:
Kingda Ka. Was down the entire time I was in the US. I'm not actually bothered about the ride to be honest, it's just that it would have been nice to tell people I've been on the tallest and fastest coaster in the world.

Ha - my thoughts exactly. Apart from that bit about not being that bothered by it - I was desperate to ride it!
And it almost became my worst spite ever, because of the delays in the opening of Zumanjaro. It was becoming increasingly apparent that KK wouldn't reopen in time for my visit, and sure enough when I got there it was still closed.... until about 4pm that afternoon when they opened it for literally about an hour and we just managed to squeeze in a ride before it closed again. That was the very first day that it opened to the public in the 2014 season.
To be fair, I think that's part of the reason why I rate it so highly - cos I feel damn lucky to have the cred at all!

Otherwise I've been very lucky with spites, the worst ones were Deja Vu and Superman: Escape from Krypton at SFMM. I wanted Deja Vu cos I hadn't ridden a GIB before (still haven't :( ) but it was being readied for its removal to SFNE and I wanted Superman cos I hadn't been 100mph on a coaster before (have now :) ) but that was being converted from forwards to backwards.
Still, it's Magic Mountain, it wasn't like there was nothing else to go on.

Hmm, I think at the time it would have definitely been Six Flags Over Texas. I had always wanted to go to that park and I was really excited about it until tropical storm Bill hit the area and everything in the park was closed apart from the indoor mine train thing (which was secretly really fab though). Obviously New Texas Giant was closed as well, and as there were only about ten people in the entire park, despite not losing faith and waiting in front of the entrance while we watched it test, they shut the whole park down.

We did end up going back which cost us the creds at Dixie Landin and required an 11 hour journey, but we ended up there on bring a scum for free day, which meant we had to buy Flashpass and even then we couldn't even get everything done as we had about 3.5 hours in the park until we had to hit the road. The worst.

Ben

CF Legend
Oh God, you know, I'd totally forgotten about Six Flags Over Texas.

So spiteful.

Like +8 or +9 just wiped out between there and Dixie Landin'

Gross.

Hutch

Strata Poster
El Toro, #1 on my bucket list. Don't think it can get much worse than that when it comes to a single ride. Almost ruined my day.

Fortunately the park is not too out of the way, but it's still a good 6 hour drive.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Howie said:
Otherwise I've been very lucky with spites, the worst ones were Deja Vu and Superman: Escape from Krypton at SFMM. I wanted Deja Vu cos I hadn't ridden a GIB before (still haven't :( ) but it was being readied for its removal to SFNE and I wanted Superman cos I hadn't been 100mph on a coaster before (have now :) ) but that was being converted from forwards to backwards.

Huh? I've ridden both Deja Vu and Superman backwards on the same day, so I'm pretty sure these two events didn't happen at the same moment in time. It was probably just either of them (or both) being spiteful as they ever so often seemingly are. When did you visit?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
At the time of spite it would easily be our first day at Nagashima Spaland thanks to bastard Typhoon Etau. 3 out of the 12 coasters were open all day, and they were three kiddie creds...what made it particularly painful was that Steel Dragon 2000 was open when we arrived, and even though we raced straight there it was shut by the time we had arrived. We went back 5 days later and got the rest of the coasters though so all cool.

Other than that, Odyssey at Fantasy Island spited me twice before getting it but I got it in the end.

A cred that actually spited that I haven't ridden yet? Probably Limit at Heide Park...I've done well when I think about it!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
TilenB said:
Howie said:

Huh? I've ridden both Deja Vu and Superman backwards on the same day, so I'm pretty sure these two events didn't happen at the same moment in time. It was probably just either of them (or both) being spiteful as they ever so often seemingly are. When did you visit?

My bad - I've just checked and Déjå Vu was actually around until 2011, I was there in Nov 2010, so you are indeed correct Sir! That means it wasn't being prepared for removal, it was just spiting me for the sake of it. Bummer.
But Superman was definitely being changed round...
Either way, I was still spited by both of them. :-(

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've never had an awful spite, but after riding and adoring Stealth in 2006, I proceeded to be spited three years in a row afterwards.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Worst spite would have to be the time I took various trains and buses to Tibidabo (aprox. 2 hours) only to find the whole park closed. Apparently they only open on weekends during the summer which is odd. It was a great view though.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
until last year it was el toro - finally rode it, and it was a bit disappointing, so now it's probably "absolutely insane" at fantasy island...

BigBad

Mega Poster
I corrected this with my trip to Cedar Point in 2013, but the previous (and first) time I went there was in 1999...

Gazza

Giga Poster
I was at SFNE about 5 days too early for Wicked Cyclone...Saw it testing several times when I went on the Skyscreamer, but that's about all I got.