What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Walibi belgium is an awesome park - good ride line-up, great food and lovely landscaping
I don't think that is an uncommon opinion (anymore). Except for the food maybe :p
Compagnie Des Alpes is doing really great with all of their parcs, and I would argue that they are becoming one of the top players in the European Theme park Industries in regards to quality.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Personally I think anyone who moans about Skyrush's restraints is a total wuss and I told @Snoo that multiple times when I met him, luckily we didn't get into a brawl as he would have got destroyed ;) If it's not in someone's top 10 there's something wrong, even now with the RMCs, it's still top 10 worthy.

Renegade is one of the best woodies I've ever ridden, I think the reason it's not talked about much is that it's in the arse end of nowhere.

Icon really isn't that good and Nemesis is still the best cred in the country, such high hopes dashed by pacing issues. I wish we had a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park in the UK, just so we could have a couple of good creds.

astead04

Roller Poster
Icon really isn't that good and Nemesis is still the best cred in the country, such high hopes dashed by pacing issues. I wish we had a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park in the UK, just so we could have a couple of good creds.
Somebody finally says it. Mack launches are the worst launches on any launch coaster imo and the Mack launch coaster is just an overrated ride type in general.

Matt N

CF Legend
You see, I get the impression that that's quite a common opinion, especially the bolded part.

I often get ridiculed when I say it's my favourite UK coaster, but I just love Icon for multiple reasons. For me, I find it to have just the right amount of forces and such a wide variety of sensations, especially in that second half! When I rode, there were some great moments of force followed by some great moments of airtime, along with some excellent inversions and hangtime chucked in there too! Contrary to popular opinion, I also found the ride to be pretty well paced, especially in the second half! It's also extremely smooth and so rerideable; I admit that it isn't the most intense coaster in the UK, but no other UK coaster has ever quite replicated how amazed I was when I first got off of Icon! Fun and rerideability are two of the things that I value most in a coaster, and Icon executes both of these excellently for me!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Mack launches are the worst launches on any launch coaster imo
You haven't really thought that one through when crap like this exists:

I normally steer clear of these threads because they hurt my brain, but this thing about Mack Launches has caught my eye more than once now, it's a bit of an old fashioned opinion and it bugs me.

We're now in an age where rollercoasters with launches don't have to be defined by them.
They're used in so many different ways than just 'here's a straight line, here's one element, here's the brake run.'
If it doesn't suit the layout, style or size of the ride for every single rollercoaster with a launch to have a balls to the wall S&S air launch, then that's fine.
They're an exciting bit of tech used as a means of propulsion and to provide a level of pacing that's different to a traditional lift hill.

Launch is just another force these days and every ride has their shortcomings in forces to an enthusiast.
I'd say it's no different to state 'that launch was weaker than I would have liked' than 'that airtime hill was weaker than I would have liked'.
It can be a flaw, a disappointment or a nitpick. But it should never be a dealbreaker. You're just setting yourself up for even more disappointment that way.

Yes, Icon's launches are slow. Laughably slow. I openly mock it in person myself.
But I don't care. It doesn't define the ride. It's a ton of fun anyway.

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
Personally I think anyone who moans about Skyrush's restraints is a total wuss and I told @Snoo that multiple times when I met him, luckily we didn't get into a brawl as he would have got destroyed ;) If it's not in someone's top 10 there's something wrong, even now with the RMCs, it's still top 10 worthy.

Renegade is one of the best woodies I've ever ridden, I think the reason it's not talked about much is that it's in the arse end of nowhere.

tenor.gif

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Somebody finally says it. Mack launches are the worst launches on any launch coaster imo and the Mack launch coaster is just an overrated ride type in general.
Its an unpopular opinio thread for this reason, but a launch does all but define a ride. The good thing about Mack Launchers is the rest of the ride, being it the smoothness, the inversions or whatever else

emoo

Hyper Poster
I'll happily take any kind of launch as an alternative to a slow chain lift. Parks have a wide array of momentum starters available to give something different with each ride and target the audience they want.

For instance, the Slinky Dog coaster is aimed at the whole family so a great use of Mack's tech.

The cable lift on rides like, idk, Skyrush are slow in comparison but does the job and makes it more fun.

Matt N

CF Legend
Onto one of my uncommon opinions; am I the only one who didn't particularly enjoy Air Race at Drayton Manor? It seems to get rave reviews from most enthusiasts, but I found it a bit too intense for my liking; I felt somewhat nauseous coming off...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Icon's launches aren't much worse than Helix's but Helix is a top drawer world class ride. It's not just about the launches being weak, which they are, but that the elements are taken so slowly that the potential airtime just doesn't exist in most parts.

The final few turns on Icon are embarrassingly bad for a big manufacturer such as Mack. I can't see how anyone thinks this is better than Nemesis, unless you've never ridden it.

giphy.gif

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Onto one of my uncommon opinions; am I the only one who didn't particularly enjoy Air Race at Drayton Manor? It seems to get rave reviews from most enthusiasts, but I found it a bit too intense for my liking; I felt somewhat nauseous coming off...
Yeah I'm with you on this. I love a spinny flat but this did nothing for me. It's fairly intense but it feels so slow and controlled and lacks any excitement. A good flat should feel slightly out of control and wild but an Air Race just doesn't. I'm usually the kind of person to ride everything at a park and I've passed up about three of these since I rode the one at Drayton.

Snoo

The Legend
Icon's launches aren't much worse than Helix's but Helix is a top drawer world class ride. It's not just about the launches being weak, which they are, but that the elements are taken so slowly that the potential airtime just doesn't exist in most parts.

The final few turns on Icon are embarrassingly bad for a big manufacturer such as Mack. I can't see how anyone thinks this is better than Nemesis, unless you've never ridden it.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah I'm with you on this. I love a spinny flat but this did nothing for me. It's fairly intense but it feels so slow and controlled and lacks any excitement. A good flat should feel slightly out of control and wild but an Air Race just doesn't. I'm usually the kind of person to ride everything at a park and I've passed up about three of these since I rode the one at Drayton.
You see, the reason I actually didn't particularly enjoy Air Race was because I almost found it a bit too intense for me; I came off feeling somewhat nauseous. I can happily ride a teacups ride that spins or something, and I quite liked Samurai at Thorpe Park, but I found Air Race too much for some reason.

Matt N

CF Legend
Star Tours is better than Flight Of Passage.
I'd be intrigued to know why you think this; while I agree that Flight of Passage didn't quite live up to the hype for me, I still thought it was a very good attraction, personally!

With regards to the same ride; I prefer both Harry Potter dark rides to Flight of Passage.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I'd be intrigued to know why you think this; while I agree that Flight of Passage didn't quite live up to the hype for me, I still thought it was a very good attraction, personally!
I prefer the group experience of Star Tours, and how everyone gets more into it, as opposed to Flight of Passage where everyone is quite isolated. I really love that there is animatronic on board the vehicle in Star Tours. There's also a nice interactive moment where a random guests' face gets flashed up on the screen because they are a "rebel spy". I really like the way that the cabin lights up and reacts to whatever is on the screen e.g. if there is a fireball explosion, the cabin lights up in orange. There are some really clever moments in the film too. One of my favourites is when you crash into a lake and a big sea monster thing grabs hold of the cabin and swings it around. There is also a great ending where another vehicle smashes through the front of the screen. It is a really effective use of 3D.

I just find it way more fun and memorable than Flight Of Passage, and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. To be honest, it's the only simulator-type ride that I actually really like.

Matt N

CF Legend
I prefer the group experience of Star Tours, and how everyone gets more into it, as opposed to Flight of Passage where everyone is quite isolated. I really love that there is animatronic on board the vehicle in Star Tours. There's also a nice interactive moment where a random guests' face gets flashed up on the screen because they are a "rebel spy". I really like the way that the cabin lights up and reacts to whatever is on the screen e.g. if there is a fireball explosion, the cabin lights up in orange. There are some really clever moments in the film too. One of my favourites is when you crash into a lake and a big sea monster thing grabs hold of the cabin and swings it around. There is also a great ending where another vehicle smashes through the front of the screen. It is a really effective use of 3D.

I just find it way more fun and memorable than Flight Of Passage, and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. To be honest, it's the only simulator-type ride that I actually really like.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification @Jamesss; I can understand that, to be fair! I must admit that I found Star Tours to be one of the more pleasantly surprising attractions within WDW, and I'm not a Star Wars fan either!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
There are some really clever moments in the film too.
Are we talking about Star Tours - The Adventures Continue? It may be even cleverer than you expected.
I'd already ridden a couple of versions before I started to question my memory of the ride and then discovered this:

'The ride sequence is randomized; guests riding Star Tours will experience four out of the eighteen different segments during each journey. This gives Star Tours the advantage of being both highly repeatable and constantly surprising. Even though guests can experience different journeys, the main priority is always delivering a Rebel spy to safety. The Rebel spy is chosen from among the guests onboard and their photo is displayed to the riders.
There are eighteen random segments of the film (four opening segments, four primary destination segments, six hologram message segments, and four ending destination segments). When combined, they allow 384 different possible ride experiences.'