What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Hi FlyingFox and weclome to CF.
Have you had a night ride on Helix? That's what pushed it from a great coaster to an incredible one for me.

Balder is an odd one as its performance is so varied. The first time I rode it, the airtime was amazing, a few years later, not so much - it all felt a bit too controlled. Then, on my last trip it was just unbelievable. It had been raining and flew around with some of the most intense airtime. Rocketed up to just below my top 10.

FlyingFox

Roller Poster
Have you had a night ride on Helix? That's what pushed it from a great coaster to an incredible one for me.

Indeed I have, yeah it is a great night ride but it felt somewhat lacking. I put it down to the hype sourounding it. But I do get why it's highly rated amongst the community!

zazobo

Hyper Poster

Balder is an odd one as its performance is so varied. The first time I rode it, the airtime was amazing, a few years later, not so much - it all felt a bit too controlled. Then, on my last trip it was just unbelievable. It had been raining and flew around with some of the most intense airtime. Rocketed up to just below my top 10.

YES!! I had a soaking wet ride on Balder and it was ****ing incredible.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intamin Zacspins are the most underrated roller coaster model in the industry.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I can see the logic in the case that the rider doesn't invert. It's got a load of sudden jerky forces that are all good. But then you go upside-down and head into the brake run, so all the blood is squeezed into your head.

streetmagix

Mega Poster
*dons fireproof overalls*

I really don't get the appeal of wooden rollercoasters. I've been on the Blackpool set (minus the mouse, RIP), Woden and Stampida thus far.

I find SLCs quite fun and enjoyable.

THE SWARM is the best rollercoaster in the UK

DBGT is one of the best dark rides I've ever ridden/experienced. Second to HEX in the UK for me.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
For me, the appeal is their character. Ride performance can change depending on weather/season/maintenance/other, seemigly magic, random factors

Every ride you have on Swarm you know is going to be good. You know what to expect. And that's fine.

But true great rides (and this goes for some steel coasters too) have a soul and a personality. They can dissapoint. They can leave you with expectation. They move with the wind and expand with the heat and creak and move in odd ways in the corners. They take time to bed-in and develop with age. They grow up and need bits replacing (imagine if you kept fiddling about with a steel track placement every few years?) But most importantly, they have moments, when the stars align, when they can be absolutely off-the-scale amazing.

Efan

Mega Poster
Am I the only one who finds that Swarm isn't forceful? I've had several rides and I was never blown away. It's smooth, but in a way I feel smoothness detracts from the ride if it's over-smooth.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
^ Considering I've consistently greyed out on the turn round every single ride for the last 3 seasons, yes, I'd have to disagree. It's very forceful.

Th13teen is the best coaster in the UK

Efan

Mega Poster
^ Yes, that turn was the only forceful area of the ride in my opinion. Overall, the ride just felt forceless to me.

Matt N

CF Legend
My personal least common opinions are:
  • The Swarm is the UK's best roller coaster.
  • Wicker Man is better than Megafobia as a coaster.
  • SAW: The Ride at Thorpe Park is rough.
  • The Smiler and Speed have a rattle and the odd jolt here and there, but are not too rough.
  • Both Dragon Challenges were jolty.
  • Montu is better than Nemesis.
So, yeah, I have quite a few uncommon opinions!
P.S. Sorry for bumping this thread.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Mystery Castle at Phantasialand is pretty rubbish.

The queue is decent, but the ride (short and long settings) is awful and boring.

Matt N

CF Legend
I can understand rating Swarm highly.

Megafobia is pants so I'd not be surprised if I prefer Wickerman to it.

Saw is rough.
Oh, so some of my opinions aren't that uncommon, then! I still think that Megafobia is an excellent coaster, don't get me wrong, but I thought Wicker Man slightly topped it because of it's smoother transitions and better trains making it flow more nicely, as stupid as it sounds. And it was still pretty intense and wild at the same time!

Also, is it only me who found the moment between the inclined loop and the corkscrew on Swarm to have really strong G's?

Hutch

Strata Poster
^Yeah, Swarm has some positive g's in after the inclined loop. I think others discussed that in the Fenix thread.

I don't think I have a real drastic opinion different from everyone else. Only one I can think of is that Dragon Challenge was the best (well, maybe not the best, but definitely my favorite) ride at Universal Orlando, even when it didn't duel. It had some really great elements and just a great pair of inverts overall. Plus it never seemed to be too crowded, so it was pretty easy to get some solid re rides.