What's new

YAY Merlin!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
In fairness, have you seen the Towers Loving Care stuff?

I really believe the rides which are closed are so for more than money saving. Sure, it's probably a factor in that whatever the issue is could have been fixed with enough funds thrown at it, but still. It's not like they aren't spending money.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Robbie

Hyper Poster
It's great they're looking after the rides but I think it's the wrong year to be doing it. People are going to go this year and find 6 (mostly) reliable rides shut, an old one tarted up with a gimmick, and fewer places to eat. They're going to think the park is in trouble and then that's another false perception (after "our rides are dangerous") they have to try and clear up.

It might help, of course, if they explained Towers Loving Care to the public instead of going "la la la we don't know what's happening" on their Facebook page.

Dave

CF Legend
Robbie said:
It's great they're looking after the rides but I think it's the wrong year to be doing it. People are going to go this year and find 6 (mostly) reliable rides shut, an old one tarted up with a gimmick, and fewer places to eat. They're going to think the park is in trouble and then that's another false perception (after "our rides are dangerous") they have to try and clear up.

It might help, of course, if they explained Towers Loving Care to the public instead of going "la la la we don't know what's happening" on their Facebook page.

What will make it more a kick in the teeth is that the tickets cost £52 (but likely pay some discounted rate online etc) it will lead to a lot of unsatisfied people. But we'll only know half way through the season or after seasons close what the effect will be, especially with the Smiler re-opening.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Robbie said:

Maybe they're projecting another slack year? Like I said in the accident topic, the Smiler accident aftermath has a shelf life. With the (hopefully) last spike being the anniversary which will hit at the start of the summer season. It's possible any media coverage will have a negative impact. Therefore if it is a quiet season, it makes sense to tart everything up ready for when everybody returns in 2017 when it (the accident) is forgotten about.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
Robbie said:

Maybe they're projecting another slack year? Like I said in the accident topic, the Smiler accident aftermath has a shelf life. With the (hopefully) last spike being the anniversary which will hit at the start of the summer season. It's possible any media coverage will have a negative impact. Therefore if it is a quiet season, it makes sense to tart everything up ready for when everybody returns in 2017 when it (the accident) is forgotten about.
It's possible I suppose. Obviously they're not going to announce 2017's plans yet but there had better be something special up their sleeve or they'll be stuck in a rut that's difficult to get out of.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Is it even confirmed that 6 rides are closed? I don't think Is? And even then it would only be 5 max because Ripsaw has gone now, and The Flume has been confirmed to be taken apart later this season. Tbh the park is looking absolutely amazing this season, I think it's the perfect year to tart the park up, the place was looking warn down, also it's not confirmed that food places are closing either, they are adding a new coffee cafe and then the food loop. I think this year will be really positive for Towers if the closed ride rumours aren't true.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ I think the same. From what I've seen on Twitter the whole park is looking sexier this year and with the lip stick they've slapped on several food place exteriors, some of the rumours remain rumours until the doors open in just over 2 weeks.

Dar

Hyper Poster
There's no mention of opening times on the Alton Towers website, they can't confirm which food & beverage outlets will be open and they can't confirm the ride line-up yet.

Two weeks before opening and it looks like they can't tell their arse from their elbow.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Forbidden Valley had been completely resurfaced.
090ed99d72bdbaad96283e10016303ba.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Did they have loads of dye left over from Nemesis' waterfalls?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think the flooring is great? I'm just thrilled to see some diversity and attention to one often overlooked element. Let's hope it has adequate drainage though. (My bet is that it will not.)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

spicy

Giga Poster
The Towers loving care stuff is really great with all areas of the park receiving some much needed attention. Nemesis in particular is going to look amazing.

It's certainly not all doom and gloom over at AT with all that happening. Hopefully they announce the RMC or another major investment at some point this year then they can get guests back to the park and put Smiler incident behind them.

They really just need an incident free year and hope Galactica is a hit. Just worrying how so many people aren't going to know that it is Air with headsets and that so many attractions are closed/removed.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Agreed. I can almost see the headlines already.. 'ALTON TOWERS DUPES GUESTS OUT OF £52 TO RIDE 'NEW' ROLLER COASER' etc...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Maybe CWOA had some spare?

I prefer the fencing to the scaffolding. Ok so it might not be as well "themed" but it's neater.

From what I've seen so far, I'm liking the improvements. I hope it transforms into thar magic atmosphere which has been lacking in recent years.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
It's better than the scaffolding is the point. That was one of my main gripes about the park, I absolutely hated seeing it, anything is better. It doesn't fit the Dark Forest theme whatsoever, but when did that area ever have a constant theme.

spicy

Giga Poster
It looks much better than the scaffolding, but it's still just garden fencing.

Something like the tree at Gardaland's Raptor, with the launch going through and a tunnel underneath it would be perfect and look amazing in the Dark Forest.

http://rcdb.com/9309.htm#p=34121

But that obviously costs a lot of money and requires more than a trip to the local B&Q.