What's new

Windseekers closed after riders stuck for hours - update p2

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Windseekers closed after riders stuck for hours - update

Boomerang looks absolutely disgusting, and then there is the pink Xcelerator neglected from a repaint. What a shame. Also looks like they are sticking with the old garbage trains too.

bmac

Giga Poster

Ugh, when is CF gonna cut their losses and just sue the **** out of Mondial. Come on SWP&E is preparing to sue Moser over Mach Tower, and that was just ONE ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

You need to assume that Mondial has the assets to be worth suable.

If Mondial doesn't have the money, you're not going to get it.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

bmac said:
Ugh, when is CF gonna cut their losses and just sue the **** out of Mondial. Come on SWP&E is preparing to sue Moser over Mach Tower, and that was just ONE ride.

You're comment is the most retarded one of the day!

Why the hell would you want them to sue Mondial?
That would only mean that they would go out of buisness, and the Windseekers would sure as hell not run again.
It would be bad for both parts involved.

You don't even know what kind of contract and relationship Cedar Fair has to Mondial.

Nic

Strata Poster

Yeah, but on the plus side, Top Scans would die too.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

_koppen said:
You're comment is the most retarded one of the day!
Actually no, putting someone else down for fairly expressing their opinion - most retarded comment of the day.

I'll be intrigued to see if the lighting schematics change at all with this new evacuation platform. While the Windseekers had have their shortfalls, one major perk is having one of the most gorgeous lighting displays.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Hyde244 said:
Actually no, putting someone else down for fairly expressing their opinion - most retarded comment of the day.

No, it's not.
Hoping that CF would sue Mondial is just a really stupid thing to hope for.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

^If Mondial is selling **** products, that means they aren't a very good company deserve to go out of business. A lawsuit that ends up causing a company that could potentially design a ride which could result in loss of life to go bankrupt isn't a bad thing.

Plus, how many top scans are sold these days?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

_koppen said:
Hyde244 said:

No, it's not.
Hoping that CF would sue Mondial is just a really stupid thing to hope for.
No.
Antinos said:
^If Mondial is selling **** products, that means they aren't a very good company deserve to go out of business. A lawsuit that ends up causing a company that could potentially design a ride which could result in loss of life to go bankrupt isn't a bad thing.
Basically this. I disagree with the loss of life part, but I completely agree that if Mondial **** up (which they clearly have seeing as several of these rides have broken down several times) then they need to be help accountable. I wouldn't be surprised if CF are pretty mad at Mondial and are probably already taking some action - we just don't know about it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

As a business, it's a pretty tough decision when you've invested multi-millions into something.

As we've seen with Dollywood and Huss, it's taken years before they have sued.

You work with your supplier on a solution to the problem, preferably at their expense. To immediately jump into "sue the bastards" is utterly short sighted.

As Hyde says, "are they financially able"?

Yeah, CF could sue them and bring the company to bankruptcy. Who wins that one? CF have paid what? $20,000,000 for these rides to be installed?

So they destroy Mondial who shut down forever. Maybe CF get back some of their money, but it's doubtful they'll get it all back. They then have a bunch of rides sitting there that they can't use and the only option is to knock them all down and find something else. What little money they get from Mondial would go into removing the rides and they're millions out of pocket and have no new rides.

The best business solution is to continue working with Mondial to fix the issues. Hopefully it will work and then maybe CF and Mondial can come to some agreement about compensation (I'll bet Hyde's right nut though that the contract essentially states that if there's a fault, Mondial aren't financial liable).

It will be a case of the two companies working together now for the foreseeable future to get the rides running consistently. It'll only come to somebody being sued if there is no hope at all.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I would be interested to know who's footing the bill for all the repairs and the new escape platform and stuff. I wonder if CF are simply holding back anything more serious as Mondial are 'paying' for it all.

I don't know, I just find it funny (in the strange way) that Mondial managed to get these things wrong like this. It's not like it's just one dodgy install, or one software bug, the rides are fundamentally badly designed. I fully understand that you can't predict how your creation is going to behave once you have it built and up a huge tower spinning round with riders in it, no computer simulations can, but I think there's something gone wrong somewhere along the line with designing this that is more than just an environmental/practical factor.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Antinos said:

Plus, how many top scans are sold these days?

Sorry, but just no.

They're not selling **** products for a start; they've got one product causing problems. It just so happens that CF bought a crapload of a brand new product before any problem with the design had been identified. I'm not blaming CF by the way, but I would question the intelligence of buying multiple units of a brand new, untested product.

Also, where is there any suggestion of loss of life? Any at all? A prediction that it "might happen in the future", so it's better for the company to go bankrupt now is ludicrous.

There's an overall very blinkered view of Mondial from the Americans posting. It's almost understandable as it's true that they don't have much of a presence in the USA, but their products (way more than just Top Scans) are all over Europe and, to a slightly lesser extent, Asia.

So yes, let's bankrupt the company and put people out of job, while at the same time leaving hundreds of rides in parks and traveling fairs all over the world without a company to produce spare parts.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Beyond the stalling, wasnt the first major issue just the gondolas swinging to close to one another if it were empty? Mondial fixed that, so Im going with they might be footinf the bill so CF wont just boycott the manufacturer, which is a more likely scenario than them outright suing the company.

Did Cedar Fair sue Intamin and those involved for issues found on MF, TTD, Maverick and I305?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ There was never a lawsuit, but heavy collaboration through all of the ride design flaws.

To date, Intamin has built eight attractions at Cedar Point (two water rides, one drop tower, five roller coasters). Only two of them operated without any malfunction, Thunder Canyon and Jr. Gemini. :razz:

While Intamin has had its shortcomings with ride design, they have seemingly been stellar at working with amusement parks to find a proper solution.

The best solution will be to repair the rides at Mondial's expense. In the even that Mondial were to shut down, you can bet than Chance, Vekoma, or another ride manufacturer jump at the chance of a new services market opening up in need of replacement parts. Such was the case with Arrow's bankruptcy, leaving a number of parks to look to other manufacturers for supplies on wheels, restraints, etc.

bmac

Giga Poster

Hyde244 said:
^ There was never a lawsuit, but heavy collaboration through all of the ride design flaws.

To date, Intamin has built eight attractions at Cedar Point (two water rides, one drop tower, five roller coasters). Only two of them operated without any malfunction, Thunder Canyon and Jr. Gemini. :razz:

While Intamin has had its shortcomings with ride design, they have seemingly been stellar at working with amusement parks to find a proper solution.

That's the thing I give Intamin. We may give them a boat load of crap for manufacturing rides with a laundry list of issues but they make sure to fix the issues as fast as humanly possible. So far the only thing we've gotten out of Mondial about the Windseeker issue is the spacing issue with the chairs, and who knows who's footing the bill for the cherry picker gondolas.

The best solution will be to repair the rides at Mondial's expense. In the even that Mondial were to shut down, you can bet than Chance, Vekoma, or another ride manufacturer jump at the chance of a new services market opening up in need of replacement parts. Such was the case with Arrow's bankruptcy, leaving a number of parks to look to other manufacturers for supplies on wheels, restraints, etc.

I really think its in Mondial's best interest to foot the bill, especially since the issues weren't identified before Cedar Fair started a mass order. If Mondial doesn't foot the bill for the fixes then by all means Cedar Fair has the right to try to sue, even though it's partly CF's fault.