What's new

Windseekers closed after riders stuck for hours - update p2

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Here we go yet again...
The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago at Knotts & in July when riders were stuck up there for over two hours at Carowinds.
Why does it take so long to lower the damn thing when it malfunctions?

6a00d8341c630a53ef017c31fe766d970b-640wi

For the second time in as many weeks, a thrill ride has malfunctioned at Knott’s Berry Farm leaving riders stuck hundreds of feet in the air for hours.

Nearly two dozen riders were safely returned to the ground Wednesday night after having been stranded hundreds of feet in the air for more than three hours on a Knotts Berry Farm ride.

The Knotts Berry Farm Wind Seeker stopped working around 4 p.m., suspending 20 riders about 300 feet in the air near the top of the ride, according to Jennifer Blazey, spokeswoman for the park.

By 7:30 p.m., the ride had been manually lowered about half way to the ground. At 7:40 p.m., the group -- which appeared to range in age from teenage to adult -- walked off the swings.

The Buena Park ride also became stuck on Sept. 7. That time, it took three hours for maintenance crews to manually lower the ride.

The ride has 32 two-person gondolas that go 301 feet in the air then swing riders for a minute at a 45-degree angle at eight rotations per minute, according to Knott's website.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, officials said.

Knotts Berry Farm used its own maintenance crew to handle the malfunction.
knotts+dark.jpg

source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...p-after-amusement-park-ride-malfunctions?lite

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Windseeker at KBF breaks down - riders stuck for hours a

The news was basically acting like the tower was about to topple over, and thousands of people were going to die. It's ridiculous that it keeps happening with these things, they need to figure out a way to get it down faster, because more stories like this, and people are going to overreact and it will become the next Perilous Plunge in terms of lack of riders due to so many incidents, well, so many news reported incidents.

kimahri

CF Legend

I wonder how Sue would be in this situation.

bmac

Giga Poster

Mondial, you have a 6 million dollar ride that doesn't come with an emergency drop button...

bmac

Giga Poster

Oh tOR I finally found a legit use for you <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Cedar Point, Knott's, and Carowinds have all had problems with their Windseekers now.

Has CW had any problems with theirs?

Intricks

Strata Poster

I do believe Kings Island hasnt had theirs stop either...

bmac

Giga Poster

KD hasn't had issues also.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Hyde244 said:
Has CW had any problems with theirs?
Other than it always being down? :p
Seriously, the damn thing never runs for more than an hour or two before going down for the rest of the day. It's only a matter of time...

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

But...But...Windseekers are awesome. I always get annoyed when ride types I like break down.

BBH

Giga Poster

Never ridden a Wind Seeker but I'm gonna try to get out to Cedar Point next summer, hopefully the issue is resolved by then, I don't want to go on an enigma of a ride that has continually experienced significant downtime.

reddude333

Giga Poster

Haha! I was just there a few days ago. Good thing I didn't ride it. I was pretty much just there for coasters anyway.

bmac

Giga Poster

Ian said:
According to the fab LA Times, all WindSeekers are grounded until further notice.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... 4072.story

Don't forget these are the guys who said the kid who got hit by the bird on Kingda Ka died. So yeah I'd take this with a grain of salt.

But really Kings Dominion's Windseeker is the only one that hasn't had any issues, and their maintenance team isn't exactly the best.

CoasterWild

Mega Poster
Re: Windseekers closed after riders stuck for hours - update

Well, who designed these kinds of rides? Retarded people?

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Windseekers closed after riders stuck for hours - update

CoasterWild said:
Well, who designed these kinds of rides? Retarded people?

Mondial, yeah I didn't know who the **** they were before 2010...