Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm not a sporty person.

I like doing: karting, pool and snooker

I like watching: Snooker and motor racing (F1, Touring cars and BTCC Support races, since they're the only televised ones I get)

Mark

Strata Poster
In general I don't do sport, not taking part nor watching, unless of course it involves... actually its probably best left there.

The only sport I find any remote interest in is motor racing, Formula 1 in particular.

Ben

CF Legend
Mark said:
In general I don't do sport, not taking part nor watching, unless of course it involves... actually its probably best left there.

Water?

Maybe you and Will should start a club?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
WelcomeToOblivion said:
furie said:
WelcomeToOblivion said:
rugby union ;)

Such a girls game :p
compared to league? hahaha puhhhhlease :p

And you play..? I rest my case :p

The thing is, while a bad game of league flows badly, a good game works much better.

With Union, it's kind of "OMG, an opponent almost touched my shirt, I need to drop and roll off the ball".

Then you maul, which is essentially a mix of "pile on" and human Jenga, which invariably results in a scrum.

So you stop and set up the scrum. The fly half gets the ball and invariably gets within a breath of an opponent and drops, rolls and we start with the pub games again...

Unless... Now, this is genius...

He kicks the ball into touch. Now, I can imagine the thought process that went into developing the rules for Rugby Union.

"Okay, we've got our pub game, only with people. We've got 'pile on' which is an old dorm favourite, Squishy Saint-John was especially good at it if I recall. We've got the part where we all get a chance to cuddle and feel each others genitals (another old dorm favourite). We've got the kicking thing for those Soccer oiks... We need something else that is fantastically British, something that helps sum us up as a race for the world to recognise this as a English sport..."

"We could queue up?"

"What? How can we take the British art of standing in a line part of an exciting game?"

"I dunno, but we could incorporate it somehow..."

"Okay then, Russell-Brown-Smythe suggests that on top of pile-on, Jenga, cuddly gropes and uncouth kicking we should also have a bit where we stand politely in line - do we need to mumble and moan about the weather as part of this? Optional? Okay - all in favour..."

Stop-start, stop-start, queue up, stop-start, stop-start...

League is just a huge game of British Bulldog with a ball and pretence to be a sport. The conversation for developing the rules for League was much simpler:

"I want to run into people to see if I can hurt them"
"Ug!"

;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
When will people learn? :lol:

I only argue for the fun of it; to give me a stand to put forward ridiculous arguments and see if anyone will pick up on it. I don't know anything about Rugby, I just know that it's fun to needle people if they support one by saying the other is better :)

nadroJ

CF Legend
Urgh, sport. The only thing I EVER watch is the World Cup, and that's only because it's funny to see grown men crying when we inevitably lose.

Ben

CF Legend
I actually really don't know how to answer this honestly now...

Football's the sport I actually spend the most time watching/playing now, but, that's more to do with how easy to find it is, rather than QUITE how much I like it.

I think Rugby is a better sport, but, I don't actually follow it as much cause... Well, it's hardly ever bloody on. Football's just THERE more.

F1 used to be better but this year has been absolute poo-poo pancakes, and I blame the GERMAN for this.

Other motor racing is amazing, Le Mans series in particular, but, that's NEVER on, and never mentioned, so, it's hard to spend too much time on it.

So, really, I wish Rugby and Le Mans racing were more "everywhere", cause I like them most, but, Football is the sport I spend the most time on... So Footie I guess? It does help it has Doyle <3

Snoo

The Legend
I'd say Soccer is better than Rugby.. only because I know most of the rules for soccer as opposed to rugby. They are both massively fun to play tho.

Dave

CF Legend
I tried giving American Football a go in the weirdest way, by playing Madden 12 demo, had no idea what I was doing, somehow I won...still nowhere near understanding anything.

Football is still my favourite sport, it's the only major sport on the island with both Portsmouth FC and Moneyfields (4th tier of non-league football) being the teams I visit regularly.

marc

CF Legend
F1 for me even though this year has been really bad one of the worst seasons for a long time due to silly rules.

Football is 2nd.

anora

Roller Poster
Well...

Football is my favorite... I played many times in my school and college.. Its my best game ever...

CMonster

Giga Poster
Swimming is my favorite competitive sport by far. And, just like track, it is much, much harder than people realize.

But, I've also competitively played soccer, football, basketball, and baseball, and I've done triathlons. I'd say my second fav is probably football, then the others are all together basically.