What's new

What other hobbies do you have?

Cstrcrzy1

Roller Poster
Cool, i'm actually finishing my studyies to work in this industry.
my main field is sound, both as a sound mixer and sound engineer

hopfully i'll be able to find a job in this field in the near future

I'm just waiting for the industry to get back up and running

Sandman

Giga Poster
Long distance running was for a long time my main hobby as I used to do it competitively. Just recently trying to get back into it after years of smoking and eating crap.

Filmmaking and photography are also two of my main hobbies; the latter I studied but have since been a bit inactive with it, so going to try and get the camera out more (especially when parks are open!) to sharpen up.

Boxing is another, but (as above) the crap lifestyle has been limiting. Think this whole lockdown situation has spurred me into action... either that or I'm having a very premature midlife crisis.

Flying, but can that count anymore since it is also my job?

Travel, Halloween/haunted houses, wine tasting, craft beer tasting, and lately been getting into trying to grow herbs (not the smoking kind) because there is nothing better to do while I am off work ? I am trying to get back into running as well but the heat wave the last 4 days has thrown me off a bit.

SeanC

Mega Poster
love Basketball. I play — albeit poorly as a 5’7” relatively unathletic dude — and am a long-suffering Knicks fan-turned clippers fans as a socal resident.

also love movies and tv as I work in that industry too.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Love football (or soccer) to the Americans. Middlesbrough FC for my sins. Also taken up a bit of gardening growing my own veg this year. Been a decent starter year with courgettes, tomatoes, carrots but going to ramp it up next year.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That is gorgeous! Absolutely love it.

Greatest "other" hobbies in my life are hiking and outdoor sport. I've always grown up with a lot of national park visits, and my wife (Jess) has really taken to the camping life in turn! Most frequent adventures are taking out our tandem kayak, and traveling far and wide for hiking and camping excursion. Totally own the moment of having this other passion probably be the reason I remain under 300 on my coaster count. :p

Video from our latest kayaking adventure:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I recently spent a little over a week with a friend, who you might recognize, in Utah riding trail motorcycles and had an absolute blast. He owns eight trail and two motocross bikes and half of the trail ones are electric. Although the electric ones are great for riding around the track he created in his backyard, the gas-powered ones were much more suited for riding to the top of the nearby mountain peaks.

Alans1.jpg
Showing me how little there is to riding an electric motorcycle.

Alans2.jpg
First time on his track.

Alans3.jpg
It didn't take long to get used to it.

Scott gave my new drone a try and although he wasn't used to flying it, you can still get a good idea of the backyard track from the footage.

Alans4.jpg
After a couple of days on the track, we headed up the trail to Lewis Peak.

Alans5.jpg
Second stop at "Lunch Rock".

Alans6.jpg

Alans7.jpg
Really like this bike!

Alans8.jpg
A few hours later we arrived at Lewis Peak.

Alans9.jpg
The view is incredible from 8031 feet (2248 m).

Alans10.jpg
We came along the trail that leads off to the right.

Alans11.jpg
Pointing to Willard Peak, where we'll be riding to the next time I return during the summer.

I haven't had so much fun on two wheel since riding motocross with my cousins when I was a teenager, so I was hooked and decided to buy my own trail bike shortly after returning home. After demo rides on a new Beta 350 and a ZERO FX...

Zero1.jpg
...I decided to go with the electric bike. Not only can I ride the backyard track and mountain trails, it can also handle our next destination - Moab!

I immediately took it out on local trails and couldn't be more pleased with the way it handles, the battery life and the unbelievable torque.
Zero2.jpg

Zero3.jpg

Zero4.jpg

Zero5.jpg
There's no feeling like coming up on wildlife without startling them.

Zero6.jpg

Zero7.jpg

So yeah, I guess I've got a new hobby now.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I recently spent a little over a week with a friend, who you might recognize, in Utah riding trail motorcycles and had an absolute blast. He owns eight trail and two motocross bikes and half of the trail ones are electric. Although the electric ones are great for riding around the track he created in his backyard, the gas-powered ones were much more suited for riding to the top of the nearby mountain peaks.

View attachment 9456
Showing me how little there is to riding an electric motorcycle.

View attachment 9457
First time on his track.

View attachment 9458
It didn't take long to get used to it.

Scott gave my new drone a try and although he wasn't used to flying it, you can still get a good idea of the backyard track from the footage.

View attachment 9459
After a couple of days on the track, we headed up the trail to Lewis Peak.

View attachment 9460
Second stop at "Lunch Rock".

View attachment 9461

View attachment 9462
Really like this bike!

View attachment 9463
A few hours later we arrived at Lewis Peak.

View attachment 9464
The view is incredible from 8031 feet (2248 m).

View attachment 9465
We came along the trail that leads off to the right.

View attachment 9466
Pointing to Willard Peak, where we'll be riding to the next time I return during the summer.

I haven't had so much fun on two wheel since riding motocross with my cousins when I was a teenager, so I was hooked and decided to buy my own trail bike shortly after returning home. After demo rides on a new Beta 350 and a ZERO FX...

View attachment 9467
...I decided to go with the electric bike. Not only can I ride the backyard track and mountain trails, it can also handle our next destination - Moab!

I immediately took it out on local trails and couldn't be more pleased with the way it handles, the battery life and the unbelievable torque.
View attachment 9468

View attachment 9469

View attachment 9470

View attachment 9471
There's no feeling like coming up on wildlife without startling them.

View attachment 9472

View attachment 9473

So yeah, I guess I've got a new hobby now. ?
I have to admit I've always fancied dirt-biking! I mean I do a lot of regular cycling in my spare time, which I guess you could say is one of my hobbies. Doesn't surprise me that Schilke is into dirt-biking at all lol, he seems like one of those types of guys.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but would be grateful for your opinions... I moonlight as an artist and am thinking about possibly doing some bespoke pieces or prints of theme park related loveliness. I wanted to see if anyone thought there was a market for it? If you think it's a rubbish idea- I wont be offended!!

Usually I do house portraits and 'special place' commissions (honeymoon locations, weddings, favourite pubs, local villages etc...)

Here's an example of the type of thing I do- I'm sure many of you will recognise the location! Price wise, I usually sell bespoke pieces (a5 ish) at around £100 including postage. Prints would obviously be significantly cheaper! I could in theory, do park skylines (think Disney castles), theme park hotels (like Santa Isabel, EP below), areas within theme parks (Say, Klugheim Phantasialand), specific rides/coasters etc...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated. Thaaaanks! Oh- and if you did want to follow me on insta (where all my work is displayed) i'm on @mundaymuir.art

Ta!

Image 2.jpg

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but would be grateful for your opinions... I moonlight as an artist and am thinking about possibly doing some bespoke pieces or prints of theme park related loveliness. I wanted to see if anyone thought there was a market for it? If you think it's a rubbish idea- I wont be offended!!

Usually I do house portraits and 'special place' commissions (honeymoon locations, weddings, favourite pubs, local villages etc...)

Here's an example of the type of thing I do- I'm sure many of you will recognise the location! Price wise, I usually sell bespoke pieces (a5 ish) at around £100 including postage. Prints would obviously be significantly cheaper! I could in theory, do park skylines (think Disney castles), theme park hotels (like Santa Isabel, EP below), areas within theme parks (Say, Klugheim Phantasialand), specific rides/coasters etc...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated. Thaaaanks! Oh- and if you did want to follow me on insta (where all my work is displayed) i'm on @mundaymuir.art

Ta!

View attachment 11302
That looks gooood... I love the texture and the colors of the sky

bmac

Giga Poster
My second hobby is motorsports of any variety. If it has an engine and wheels I'll watch it if it's available.

This year alone I've been to a few dirt track events at Williams Grove, Port Royal, BAPS, Bridgeport, Linda's, and Lincoln. I also have plans to go and visit a few defunct race tracks in the area like Nazareth, Trenton, and Flemington.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've had a lot of "home time" during lockdown - due to several bouts of self-isolation and what turned out to be a pretty hefty hit after a (minor) procedure on my heart.

So, I picked up a hobby again that I used to do 30 years ago (I did actually pick it up slightly 6 years ago, but not seriously).

Miniature painting for board games:

I started with some Aliens for the new game that came out last year - "Another Glorious Day in the Corp!"
aliens.png
I've not got around to doing the marines yet - they're on hold while I plough through some more.

I've always been into board gaming, and about 6 years ago I dipped my toes into "Imperial Assault" - a Star Wars game. I painted the miniatures using the skills and techniques I developed 30 years ago. Turns out, they were rubbish skills and techniques. So, starting with the Aliens above, I've started learning new skills and techniques. To varying degrees of result.

I thought that the Star Wars miniatures for Imperial Assault were great, so I bought so more to practice on.

rancor.png
The troopers are really difficult. To make them look good, they need somebody with a much higher skill than I have.

boba.png
Hopefully one recognisable character here...

guards.png
Lunch for Pateesa (if you claim to be a Star Wars fan and don't know who Pateesa is, you need to re-evaluate your fan status :p )

Anyway, I was gaining a bit of confidence. I do struggle with a slight tremor in my hands, I'm near-sighted (not good for this kind of work) and colour-blind. So I have a list of excuses for things to be not as good as they could be. I also don't understand colour theory (it doesn't make much sense when I can't see many shades of colours) and I don't have the patience at times for this.

Still, things were looking okay.

Then I moved onto a load of miniatures I ordered in Feb/March 2020. They're "Chibi" versions, and I think I got about 65 in all. I didn't realise that a larger miniature would be harder to paint, less forgiving and that there's a whole new load of techniques to learn to paint Chibis. I've just finished the 65 miniatures, and each one either taught me a better way of doing things, or where my limits really were.

You may recognise some of these:

kingpin.pngironman.png

taskmaster.png

So, that's been my last 9 months or so :D

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's been a bit of a slow-burner, but I've really started getting into escape rooms recently. It's quite a natural extension to theme parks I guess. I recently put together my Escape Room count spreadsheet, which is still a work in progress and very crude, but has some geeky bits all the same...

1627380131634.png

So I've done 20 rooms, with a success rate of 80%, and on average I used just over 80% of the allotted time to escape.

If I remember correctly, we set the record for Crazy Cat Lady at Gatwick's Know Escape (though they had only been open for a few weeks when I went). I think that's the only record time I've gotten, but definitely posted some leaderboard-worthy times in other rooms too.

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
I like tinkering with electronics, especially guitar effects and amps. Latest project was actually taking a Marshall pre-amp design and wiring it into a PA power amp, and putting the result in a different Marshall chassis 😝
IMG_20210701_191939.jpg
IMG_20210705_193503.jpgIMG_20210705_194517.jpg

Plus I'm really getting back into speedway motorcycle racing after leaving my home town 10 years ago. Just waiting for the right chance to go back and watch live! 😃

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Not been on this thread yet so thought I might as well share my hobby too!

Music....I absolutely love any kind of dance music, specifically techno and house. Have had an interest in it since I was a kid and the past few years I've started to do DJ sets in my city in underground techno clubs. Not produced any of my own music yet as my day job Monday-Friday takes up a lot of time....but who knows, maybe one day!