What's new

What Is The Most Overrated Roller Coaster?

CanobieFanatic

Roller Poster
Colossus said:
CookieCoasters said:
I got a new one for me, KINGDA KA!!! It is even overrated by the people who say it is just meh. It is so rough (even the front row ain't that pleasant), that I just found unpleasant and disappointing. Tbh i'm not sure I'd ever ride it again.

Yeah I'll agree with that, I was quite underwhelmed by the whole experience, again, also very uncomfortable.

I actually like Kingda Ka. It's quite a fun ride and the launch is great.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
CanobieFanatic said:
Colossus said:
CookieCoasters said:
I got a new one for me, KINGDA KA!!! It is even overrated by the people who say it is just meh. It is so rough (even the front row ain't that pleasant), that I just found unpleasant and disappointing. Tbh i'm not sure I'd ever ride it again.

Yeah I'll agree with that, I was quite underwhelmed by the whole experience, again, also very uncomfortable.

I actually like Kingda Ka. It's quite a fun ride and the launch is great.

I just couldn't see the fun in it. The launch started off good until the end, when the whole bloody track seemed to vibrate like crazy. Personally i find smaller versions like Stealth and Xcelerator much more fun and re-rideable.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Manta is kind of boring after the pretzel loop. I also thought laying on my restraint was very uncomfortable. The only reason it barely makes my top 10 is because I guess I kinda liked the experience of "flying". Once I go to BGT in December and ride their coasters I'll probably rank it as ****.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Balder.

I knew it couldn't deliver the sort of sustained ejector you get from the bigger Intamins, but I was at least expecting something along the lines of a Mega Lite. Instead, it failed to eject me from the seat on the early hills where it had a chance to sustain a bit of airtime, and then had ridiculously short bursts of ejector later in the ride which were there and gone before you could enjoy them.

Darren B

Giga Poster
El Toro (SFGAdv).

I was expecting it to be Colossos. But better. It really wasn't. The first drop is fantastic, especially at the back but then the ride becomes a little plain. The 3 major airtime hills have some incredible ejector but there doesn't seem to be any grace in them. The beautiful thing about Colossos (and Balder) is that they give you a lovely pop of airtime before you float back into your seat, El Toro doesn't deliver that, or at least it didn't for me in June.

Now don't get me wrong, it's still in my top 10 wood purely for the fantastic ejector it delivers, but it'll lose it's place fairly soon for failing to deliver the whole package it's European counterparts do.

Special mentions to;

Nemesis - Probably the best coaster in the UK, but that isn't saying much. It's a really good ride, but not the world beater it's claimed to be. Banshee is a far better Invert IMO.

Grand National - It's the worst coaster of the 402 I've ridden.

Swarm - The Thorpe fanboys cream all over this ride. They really need to grow some ambition and leave the UK. It's massively overrated, but I'll give it due, it's fun.

Millennium Force - Yeah, it's a good coaster with a really good first drop and it does keeps up a good pace throughout. But, best coaster in the world? It's really not. It's not even the best coaster at Cedar Point.

Ben

CF Legend
^Agreed on El Toro - it's ridiculous how over-rated it is. The hills are awesome, all three of them, but that's it. There's nothing else to it that's remotely decent. It's by far the worst of the Intamin woodies I've done. Balder is incredible, shush Mouse.

In terms of over-rated, can we please talk about Megafobia. What the actual Hell, it's really, really bad. Not even one redeeming feature. It's not the best Woodie in the UK, Wild Mouse and Big Dipper are both better, and Grand National is on a par. It's like Zeus, which is also painfully over-rated. Get out of the UK and ride better Wood people. Go to Sweden, there's amazing wood there <3

Nemesis, obviously. Not the best B&M in the park, not the best Invert in the country.

I also found Xcelerator to be quite over-rated, it's only better than Stealth because the restraints are good, the actual layout is boring and it's a really terrible pink colour now.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
Jason Voorhees said:
Manta is kind of boring after the pretzel loop. I also thought laying on my restraint was very uncomfortable. The only reason it barely makes my top 10 is because I guess I kinda liked the experience of "flying". Once I go to BGT in December and ride their coasters I'll probably rank it as ****.

I agree, not as good as everyone says it is. Our opinions are pretty similar. :)

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Because your the same person Jesus. Even though Darren said that swarm is overrated I beg to differ and say saw.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
^ Pretty much nobody likes Saw, so it ain't overrated really. I'm not a Thorpe Fan boy, but I actually think Swarm is quite fab.

On my mind at the moment for overrated-ness is The Ultimate. How can anyone enjoy that piece of ****?

jj23w

Hyper Poster
No I mean like people overhyped it when I rode it this year I hated it. Ah there are some people that love it.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I am very glad to see other people share my opinion of El Toro. Just so overrated. I really loved the first 3 hills as well as the insane hill over Rolling Thunder, but I just didn't find the overall ride nearly as impressive as everyone says. It is still in the top 10, but I feel it is far, far from the best wooden roller coaster in the world.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
CookieCoasters said:
^ Pretty much nobody likes Saw

Except me :wink:

The indoor part has a fab drop and great inline twist over a dead body although it would be better if the ride was indoors until the start of the lift. The outdoor part is fairly good in my opinion with 3 solid moments of airtime (drop, hill and drop of mcbr) although the Immelmann and dive loop are nothing to rave about.

The coaster I think is becoming slightly overrated now is Nemesis. It's a great one of a kind layout but I would bet money that I would enjoy Montu, Oziris, Banshee, Pyrenees and Katun more. Maybe I'll change my mind if I'm ever fortunate enough to have a night ride on the back right.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I give it that it's top 10 because my count is low. As I have said I like saw its just after the drop it loses momentum and then gets headbangy.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've got a few. Bear in mind the Florida picks are based on memories from 7 years ago.

Grand National - unlike some of Blackpool's other woodies, I really dislike this ride. The way the train hits the bottom of the drops, transferring the shock directly and painfully up your spine means I really can't enjoy it.

The Swarm - I read lots of CF reviews before going. "It's amazing, the UK has finally built a great coaster." I went and it was... Okay. I'd rate it as the weakest of Thorpe's "big" rides.

Big Thunder Mountain (Railroad) - both Paris and Orlando versions. They just didn't excite me at all. The Paris version at least had the tunnel sections, which were decent, but you had no way to gauge speed because it was too dark.

Shiekra - only rode it once but everything felt really drawn out and forceless. I guess it's because you can't take tight inversions too quickly on account of the wide trains (possibly why I didn't particularly rate Swarm). I'm actually more inclined to highly rate Oblivion because it's got so much more focus on the drop that the ride experience doesn't feel diluted.

Kraken - I felt really disappointed by what is a huge B&M looper. The forces just weren't there. Then a few days later we did Kumba which blew Kraken out of the water.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Darren B said:
Grand National - It's the worst coaster of the 402 I've ridden.

Strange how Nash seems to divide opinion - personally I love it - even though it beats you up a fair bit, I still find it awesome fun!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Grand National is a bit of a **** really.

Megafobia was a massive let-down, I had high hopes for it as I'm yet to ride a woodie that I'd rank in my top ten and was hoping this would be the one, especially knowing how high it's ranked in previous years. By all accounts it was running poorly so I can't be too harsh on it.

Saw's a bit overrated, idk if people love it just for the inside drop but the second half of the ride was so painful I doubt I'll ever go back on it.

Hutch

Strata Poster
What about Oblivion? Yeah it's fun and all but it's not as good as people make it out to be. It's pretty much like a drop tower with a big buildup and five seconds between the drop and the brakes.

jayjay

Giga Poster
That's actually something I really admire about Oblivion. I always use Oblivion as a great example of how to take a very short one-trick-pony ride and milk absolutely everything out of its one trick. In its favour, it does that one trick pretty damn well too.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Nemesis without a doubt. But it's for good reason, and it actually is one of the few critically outstanding rides that is difficult to pick apart. When it comes down to it though, IS it as enjoyable as others of it's kind? I'm just not sure. And the constant repeating that it's the best invert increases doubt.

It's critically outstanding, a 10 out of 10 coaster, and because of that it can never be as enjoyably good as the legend says.

Oblivion is overrated? I'd argue the reverse. People outside the UK don't understand or get what's so special about it. And that's because there arguably isn't anything. IMO, it's better than the Busch DMs and better than Krake. The US dive machines, in particular Griffon, is so ridiculously tame. I honestly don't understand how they managed to remove all possible forces from the ride. HOW can a 200ft vertical drop feel like nothing? Literally nothing?

Both Nash and Fobia are nothing special. People say they're the best wood in the UK because they are and I enjoyed them both a lot before I went to the USA... Nash is better than Fobia, though. Reason being that Megafobia as an experience is very similar to lots of other woodies (Megafobia as an experience reminds me of a **** El Toro) Nash, on the other hand, in spite of just being a racer, in spite of just being an old thing at a classic amusement park, is a really unique ride experience.