What's new

What coaster has the strongest airtime, in terms of the actual level of force?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Many of us often cite coasters as having strong airtime; particular examples of coasters that are praised for their insane airtime include rides like RMCs, El Toro and Skyrush, to name just a few. But the question I'm asking with this thread is; does anyone know which coaster has the strongest airtime in the world, in terms of the actual strength of airtime? In the case of airtime, it would probably be the highest negative g-force? The strongest airtime I've heard of is -2G, but I'm not sure which coaster in the world actually has the greatest airtime strength; does anyone know?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's probably not something that is really tracked properly to pin it down to an exact ride. Many places just give the number of airtime moments, rather than the strength, and I think people are generally more impressed by positive G Force (due to the larger numbers and comparisons with stuff like what an astronaut / fighter pilot experiences).

In saying that, the original Dodonpa with its airtime hill was almost definitely at the top. These days, not so sure.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd possibly also give a shout out to Cyclops' ejector drop. I bet that spikes around the -2G mark - but apart from personal experience I don't have any proof of the figures.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm not really sure, but I'd imagine Megafobia's first drop in the back must near -2G; strongest moment of ejector I've ever experienced! Although having said that, I seem to remember Mako's airtime still feeling stronger, and that apparently maxes out at -1G...

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I've got no evidence, but have a vague recollection of DC Rivals bragging about having the strongest negative Gs in the final 2 hills during some marketing phase.

It didn't feel the strongest, though it's impossible to tell the numbers by feel anyway. I do say I felt airtime in my teeth on that bit, which remains a unique experience.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm not really sure, but I'd imagine Megafobia's first drop in the back must near -2G; strongest moment of ejector I've ever experienced! Although having said that, I seem to remember Mako's airtime still feeling stronger, and that apparently maxes out at -1G...
No chance mate, Speed's hill has more forceful ejector that Fobia's drop imo and that's nowhere near the force of some of the airtime machines globally.

Matt N

CF Legend
No chance mate, Speed's hill has more forceful ejector that Fobia's drop imo and that's nowhere near the force of some of the airtime machines globally.
Ah yes, forgot about Speed's hill! That was an awesome sustained airtime moment, and I probably would have felt it more if it weren't for those Gerstlauer OTSRs!

For some idea of reference, Speed's hill apparently pulls -1.3G!

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Back row Megafobia gave me standing airtime, albeit with a very loose restraint.

Speed I've only been on once, because its crap. I don't recall the first hill being *that* good, but it's hard to judge with the OTSR's.

Back row first drop on the Big One is also awesome. First drop airtime and general coaster airtime should be two separate categories tbf.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Seriously... is nobody going to mention SteVe? That thing has some of the strongest airtime I've ever felt. The double up into the MCBR, those ridiculous bunny hops at the end? Surely those are 'up there' in the premier league?
What about Taron? Those 2 twisted airtime hills are just absurdly powerful, they must pull some serious negative g's?
Storm Chaser? That's got some killer airtime hills on it too.
Blackpool's Wild Mouse? What were the figures like for that thing? I mean... I hated it, but the airtime on those drops bordered on violent.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Taron's weird though. A lot of people big up it's ejector, but I've never noticed any sort of standout hill/airtime moment on the ride. Don't even know the ones you mean.
Its perhaps not the strongest out there but definitely the most fun airtime I've experienced.

There are definitely 2 stand out moments on Taron, the first being the hill after the turnaround following the first launch. And then the twisted hill in the second half. Even on morning ERT I got ejector every time.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Yep, those are the ones Fisty. I found those 2 airtime hills shocking when I first rode it, really took my breath away. Can't quite comprehend how Heartline' doesn't know which ones we mean. :oops:

Wait, maybe if we just...
I'm weird though. A lot of people big up it's ejector, but I've never noticed any sort of standout hill/airtime moment on the ride. Don't even know the ones you mean.

There. Fixed. ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
This. I don't know the actual measurements for some but yeah, Toros "OH ****" hill as I like to call it, was and still is the strongest moment of airtime I've been on.
A number of people have mentioned this, so I'd be intrigued to know; approximately where in this POV is El Toro's Rolling Thunder hill?:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
A number of people have mentioned this, so I'd be intrigued to know; approximately where in this POV is El Toro's Rolling Thunder hill?:

1.25s.
And yep, it certainly is one helluva hill. It just seems to come out of nowhere, and is much longer and steeper than you expect given where it is in the layout. Awesome!

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
1.25s.
And yep, it certainly is one helluva hill. It just seems to come out of nowhere, and is much longer and steeper than you expect given where it is in the layout. Awesome!
Blimey! All the ejector on El Toro looks insane, but this looks borderline lethal!