• No, I am opposed to using illegal drugs

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • No, but I would be open to trying it

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters

marc

CF Legend
TP Rich said:
Good point, but at least collecting dinosaurs doesn't shorten your life dramatically.

Many people thought this but they used toxic paint years ago and in fact people did have their lives shortened. I bet more people died from this than weed etc.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
^ Yes, but when you know it damages your health (even if it is just minorly) and you have an option whether to take it up or not, in my eyes, it's best not to.

xkirstyx

Roller Poster
After watching jeremy kyle ive seen the affects of smoking weed and it doesnt look pretty and it is expensive and prefer to spend my money on useful things.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^If its soooo bad for you then why are there political parties here (in Canada) that are trying to make it legal? Surely they wouldn't do that if it was going to kill of the population. People are raised to believe that weed is a bad drug and shouldn't be consumed at any point but you are 6 times more likely to get cancer from smoking cigarettes than weed. Yet they are legal and can be bought at any gas station or corner store? It doesn't make sense in my mind.

As I've said perviously I only really smoke in a social setting with friends and very rarely do I buy it directly for myself. As a side note some of the greatest musicians wrote music while 'high'. Bob Marley, the Beatles, and Led Zeppelin to name a few.

marc

CF Legend
If countries make it legal then they can charge vat and tax on it, ciggs are bad for you but they all sell them :)

I have seen 1st hand how bad weed can be, so tbh anyone that says it does no harm is wrong. If you are in the wrong frame of mind or smoke the wrong stuff it can lead to a total break down.

Smithy

Strata Poster
But of course supporters of legalisation will retort that the issue there lies in the user, not the substance.

Personally, I'm just sick and tired of there constantly being a ''WHY ARE YOU WASTING MONEY RAIDING DRUG DENS, JUST MAKE IT LEGAL ALCOHOL IS WORSE'' comments on every single story or news report about a cannabis factory beind found. Always seems to be from grungy hippy band members with dreadlocks professing it's benefits.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Its completely in control of the user. As long as you don't smoke it every week or every day like a pot-head is not going to shorten your life anymore than excessive drinking or smoking cigarettes. Its not attractive, its good in moderation like everything else in life.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Smithy said:
But of course supporters of legalisation will retort that the issue there lies in the user, not the substance.

Personally, I'm just sick and tired of there constantly being a ''WHY ARE YOU WASTING MONEY RAIDING DRUG DENS, JUST MAKE IT LEGAL ALCOHOL IS WORSE'' comments on every single story or news report about a cannabis factory beind found. Always seems to be from grungy hippy band members with dreadlocks professing it's benefits.

They're wrong. While I am a supporter of dope, I'm also educated about it (this has already been discussed).

Weed contains considerably more tar than ordinary tobacco, making respiratory diseases more common with a dope smoker. If smoked like cigarettes, dope is actually more harmful. Okay, you don't smoke it like cigarettes, but it's still harmful. Certainly more so than alcohol in the long term.

Skunk is another issue too. It's got a very high THC content which is what gives the high, but it also lacks another chemical that reacts in with the brain. This other chemical (I think it's a THC derivative, I can't remember the exact details) helps to broach the effects of THC. Essentially, high levels of THC causes anxiety, paranoia and stress in a lot of people (not everyone, but a lot). People who could happily smoke resin find themselves screwed by skunk. Resin contains all the plant, so has these inhibitors. This is where most of the problem from pot use comes from, skunk. Now, not everyone reacts badly (I don't), so if you're lucky then fine. However, it IS a health risk.

Resin though is also a health risk. It's often cut with some pretty nasty stuff to make it spread further (and increase profits (remember kids, this is an illegal activity, you're dealing with criminals)). Oil, lead, dirt, etc can all be in there - lovely.

There is also the chance of psychological addiction (which is what you see on Jezza) and people using it as a crutch to get through life. Some people can function exceptionally well on pot, others just seem to use it as an excuse to avoid personal responsibility. I think this is a huge topic though on its own :lol:

As for reasons to legalise it? Marc has already mentioned the money that can be made. Governments could make a lot by legalisation. There are health benefits to MS suffers and other people as a pain relief drug. You can also make the quality higher (ensure that it's not mixed with anything harmful) and keep high THC versions under control. You also suddenly take away a huge amount of profit from the criminal fraternity. So lots of semi-decent reasons to legalise it, but not "alcohol is just as bad".

Actually, that's one of my real bugbears. If you watch people say "legalise it", the response is often "we already have alcohol and cigarettes which are a health risk, why should we legalise another?"

My response then is "why allow alcohol and cigarettes if they're such a health risk?" At least level the playing field? ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Oh, but these people have read a report which says it's not bad for you, and don't you dare suggest it is because you're just scaremongering :p

Spot on though as usual.

Jake

Strata Poster
I found this quite fab documentary which ranks 20 recreational drugs from least harmful to most harmful.

I'm suprised how 'safe' Ecstasy is compared to the others. I guess, most deaths are due to the illegality of it, meaning there are impurities. Plus, the long term effects are unclear.

But yeah, it's quite interesting anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IizSd_US ... p_play_all

lazor22

Roller Poster
Pass that joint
XXsmoker.gif
:mrgreen:

(I prefer bongs though)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Can't believe you guys have got a weed topic - that's hilarious!
But oh well, since you asked... yessss. Proper pothead, me. But before you start going all judgmental on me, I like to think I'm not your average pothead, y'know? I'm not your typical, half-baked, loser, Jeremy Kyle-fodder pothead. I work hard, I pay my taxes, never claimed a benefit in my life and I don't go round knocking old ladies on the head for their pension money to fund my habit.
I've read this topic with interest, and it seems the anti-brigade are convinced that weed leads to harder drugs and a life of crime. Well, I guess you could say I'm living proof that it doesn't have to. I've smoked weed almost daily for the last 20-odd years and never felt the want or need to move on to anything else. Ask anyone who knows me - they'll tell you, I'm a nice guy.
It's just that after a hard days graft, there's nowt I like better than to sit down in front of The Big Bang Theory with a mug of tea and a big reefer :)

nealbie

CF Legend
I think there's a noticeable difference between those who talk about smoking weed and those that occasionally "do it".

I have no problem with the latter categorisation, but the only friend I knew to be the former ended up raping one of my other friends. So I'm naturally very against people who actively talk about smoking weed or any other drugs.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I know somebody who was raped by a tea totaller. I don't have an issue with people who actively don't get wasted on anything though.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk