What's new

Walibi Holland | Untamed | RMC Robin Hood Conversion

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Walibi Holland shared this on Facebook:
"The lifthill of Untamed is already starting to take its different shape. What do you think the max speed will be?"​
uBmHcAB.jpg
A picture of the lifthill back on 16th November
9546073d1542329396-2019-neuheit-untamed-hybrid-coaster-rmc-walibi-holland-niederlande-46165018_2332499550125155_3700849284602658816_o.jpg

The park also announced on Instagram a section of Robin Hood track will be kept and placed in the queueline of Untamed as part of the theming.
Jc9WDTR.jpg

A reminder of Robin Hood's turnaround.
9546071d1542329320-2019-neuheit-untamed-hybrid-coaster-rmc-walibi-holland-niederlande-thumb_32052.jpg

... since back on 15th November this picture surfaced online showing the reworking of the turnaround.
DsDfnYpWoAE6KQs.jpg

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I expect there will be an inversion on each side of the turnaround like the first turnaround on Twisted Cyclone. I hope so anyway!
View attachment 4159
That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw that picture. Awesome!
It's an awesome sequence of elements, alright! It flows so nicely on Twisted Cyclone - I can imagine that it will fit well on this as well.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is the kind of artwork that looks good in cities as, generally speaking, very little can be done artistically to 60s-70s era concrete towers. Works well as a way to make everything not look grey. Works well in Bristol, see:
1412852760439_wps_65_Buildings_are_adorned_wit.jpg

d8cb8a5157581904085c42.jpg

In a theme park? Nah, cop out.

Matt N

CF Legend
Looks very abstract... I also agree with @Hixee that it gives me more city centre vibes than theme park vibes, but I suppose the new artwork is very eye-catching, which is clearly what the park's target demographic want!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looks very abstract... I also agree with @Hixee that it gives me more city centre vibes than theme park vibes, but I suppose the new artwork is very eye-catching, which is clearly what the park's target demographic want!
Just for clarity - it's what the park management think the park's target demographic want. ;)

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
This is the kind of artwork that looks good in cities as, generally speaking, very little can be done artistically to 60s-70s era concrete towers. Works well as a way to make everything not look grey. Works well in Bristol, see:
1412852760439_wps_65_Buildings_are_adorned_wit.jpg

d8cb8a5157581904085c42.jpg

In a theme park? Nah, cop out.

I disagree. Amusement parks have such a rigid model for how they should look; no one deviates from the norm, and considering they need to appeal to the young so that they in turn pester their parents to take them, it makes sense to try to reflect a younger outlook.

Why not try something different? Parks are generally all about change and reinvention, so the fact that Walibi are trying actual change (for a theme park anyway) should be celebrated for its boldness.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A very good perspective, one I didn't think of myself. I don't agree with you, but that's okay. :p

I think my problem is that it's a cheap attempt at making something new. I don't think a bit of graffiti-style artwork slapped on the side of an existing ride (that's been there nearly two decades) is fooling anyone. Why not leave that alone, and create a new area with this sort of theme? It could be done really well, but I fear that this is just going to look cheap.

Matt N

CF Legend
I disagree. Amusement parks have such a rigid model for how they should look; no one deviates from the norm, and considering they need to appeal to the young so that they in turn pester their parents to take them, it makes sense to try to reflect a younger outlook.

Why not try something different? Parks are generally all about change and reinvention, so the fact that Walibi are trying actual change (for a theme park anyway) should be celebrated for its boldness.
A very good point, actually! Unique ideas are what make the theme park industry thrive, after all!