What's new

Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

Re: Universal IOA to close Hulk for new enhancements

Yeah, it's true.

This is from the 'Behind the Thrills' Facebook page:

12193888_10156318084335220_3902980333355637563_n.jpg

Do we reckon the track has been removed from the tunnel too?

I think it could be - wouldn't be surprised if they remove the 'roof' to the tunnel and do it that way. I don't understand how they can install the LSM launch system without altering the tunnel structure itself?! (That is if the rumours are true and they are in fact removing the existing launch mechanism).

Lofty said:
I think it could be - wouldn't be surprised if they remove the 'roof' to the tunnel and do it that way. I don't understand how they can install the LSM launch system without altering the tunnel structure itself?! (That is if the rumours are true and they are in fact removing the existing launch mechanism).
I'd be inclined to agree. I have seen pretty impressive crane work lifting steelwork into place, but seeing as they're removing everything else I would be inclined to think they'd take the top off the tunnel to access the trackwork, rather than hoist it in/out.

I wouldn't think the LSM system would have too much of an impact on the size requirements inside the tunnel, so they might be able to just swap out the track and power/controls without actually needing to change the tunnel that much. It's a theory at least!

Impatiently waiting to see what the new modifications look like for this! They've been quite speedy so far so hopefully all will start being revealed soon!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I doubt that the track has come out yet. Given that all the supports have gone too, I'd guess that the supports holding up the launch/tunnel will come down as well.

Well, I'm assuming that the tunnel was built around the track, so it would have to come off first.

Indeed LSM systems have little construction "overhead", requiring little if any additional room.

Take a look at Thunderbird's launch, and everything seems pretty well contained near the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhUhaB5Hdlc[/youtube]

Maverick too has a tight cable management for its LSM system.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbyB9N4mvq4[/youtube]

It would be plausible to work all of this into the current Hulk lift hill structure, so long as there would be clearance under the catwalk.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsjdYQJc748[/youtube]

That is, assuming an LSM system is in the future of Hulk. :wink:

Yeah, my aim mostly was at the construction side of it all - it'd be extremely difficult to construct the new launch mechanism without dropping the materials in from above etc.

Strictly speaking, all that would be involved with retrofitting an LSM launch system would be removing the motors and wiring from the tire launch, installing LSM magnets, and plumbing the new wiring conduits throughout. This all could be done in theory by hand.

Agreed.. motors are not that complicated to remove. Basically 4 bolts. Since they are being scrapped. You just have to let them drop to the ground. IF the conduit is integrated into the box beam, you just have to pull out the old wires and pull the new ones through.

You would never need to remove any tunnel or track. If no major fabrication is needed to install the LSM, then its a two week job. Besides programming.

On a side note- is it me or did anyone else notice the footers were missing in that last pic.

Would love some sort of reveal for this at IAAPA. Doubtful though.

So who wants to count bolts to try to figure out if the track matches with another train type?

Hyde said:
So who wants to count bolts to try to figure out if the track matches with another train type?
Roomraider's already done it, figured out where exactly the track will be, noted the exact G's pulled through it and made a note of the weight based on the size and put all of it in his massive coaster brain while you were writing "So" :)

DelPiero said:
Hyde said:
Roomraider's already done it, figured out where exactly the track will be, noted the exact G's pulled through it and made a note of the weight based on the size and put all of it in his massive coaster brain while you were writing "So" :)

I haven't even had a morning cup of tea yet. I can barely function right now.

But yeah its not a Dive Machine I can tell you that much :p