What's new

Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

Re: Universal IOA to close Hulk for new enhancements

Oh em gee. Interesting.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Moving for extra clearance? Wing coaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ If it were to become a completely new experience, I'd have thought they'd be saying so already. The signs on the construction walls just say "Hulk coaster returns in 2016".

If they use a slightly wider track than normal to make use of the new restraint system, wouldnt the footers need to be somewhat redone due to a new distribution of forces being wider than the older ones?

^ That would definitely make sense with the new footers.

My only hope would be regardless, they use the new restraint system, even if they still stick with the 4-wide sitdown.

Would be dreadful if they turned Hulk into a wing coaster when they could have just left it alone and we could have had an epically themed Jurassic Park Pteranodon winged coaster.

^But we can clone the USJ flyer! ;)

I doubt Hulk will become a wing coaster. Does Hulk have wings? No. Does he have the ability of flight? No. I think it'll stay sitdown, but with the new vest restraints. Maybe even a floorless coaster.

Yeah I reckon its either getting floorless trains or maybe B&M are going to debut a train that can do inversions with lap bars.

Why did it get dismantled then? Well it is pretty old being a 90s B&M so they may be replacing parts of the track that had kinks and other imperfections (if there are any) plus freshening up the rest of the track with a thorough repaint. They're probably replacing stuff like sensors, brakes, lifthill motor with brand new parts too. As for footers being moved? Maybe they calculated that the supports would be make the structure more strong and durable at different points and angles, idk.

I would expect some special effects that interact with the ride e.g. fire blasts and possibly an on board soundtrack to enhance it, we will see.

GuyWithAStick said:
^But we can clone the USJ flyer! ;)

I doubt Hulk will become a wing coaster. Does Hulk have wings? No. Does he have the ability of flight? No. I think it'll stay sitdown, but with the new vest restraints. Maybe even a floorless coaster.

Wow, don't use your imagination or anything.

He does have two big **** off arms - make the 'wings' fists and you'd have something awesome.

Though I don't think this is going to be Wing Coaster, I think we'll just see the awful new restraints on it and it'll suck...

Ben said:
I think we'll just see the awful new restraints on it and it'll suck...

I have a shred of hope they will debut a lap bar train, Intamin, Mack, RMC, Gerst, Vekoma and even Zamperla have inverting coasters with these now so B&M will inevitably catch up. We hope!

They can make one really easily; just take out the vest part of the vest restraint. In fact, they already made it:

52706.jpg

Credit to RCDB.

cjbrandy said:
Well it is pretty old being a 90s B&M so they may be replacing parts of the track that had kinks and other imperfections (if there are any) plus freshening up the rest of the track with a thorough repaint. They're probably replacing stuff like sensors, brakes, lifthill motor with brand new parts too. As for footers being moved? Maybe they calculated that the supports would be make the structure more strong and durable at different points and angles, idk.
It's rather clear at this point the only reason the track was removed was to account for new addition to the revamp - be it new trains, new inversions, etc. The notion of track getting "old" simply doesn't hold up. There are 31 B&Ms that debuted before Incredible Hulk in 1999, including those that are taller and faster - this simply is not an exercise IoA is doing because the original track is "old", and there most certainly is a need for new track with the new V2 design.

cjbrandy said:
I have a shred of hope they will debut a lap bar train, Intamin, Mack, RMC, Gerst, Vekoma and even Zamperla have inverting coasters with these now so B&M will inevitably catch up. We hope!
I mean, do we have any evidence? Further more - do we have any need?

I mean, I get it - the B&M OTSR was perfectly fine, if not the best of all OTSRs. And I can also appreciate that B&M Wing restraints can be a bit constrictive. Personally, I don't find a difference in the level of comfort between the two, and enjoy the added benefit of more arm room for those (such as myself) with larger wingspan. B&M appears double-downed on the new wing restraints, so it'd be hard to believe they'd seek another type of restraint, when the entire point of the wing restraint is a more open, comfortable restraint.

^But it would be even better with lap bar only. I think we can all agree on that? At least I'm keeping my fingers crossed! But knowing B&M it will not happen.

GuyWithAStick said:
They can make one really easily; just take out the vest part of the vest restraint. In fact, they already made it:

52706.jpg

Credit to RCDB.

Can nobody see? Clearly lapbars!

If this does have the new restraints, I sincerely hope that the vests are removed, I actually find them to feel more enclosed than ordinary OTSR's and whilst still comfortable, just feel 'stuck'. Really wishing that they scrap them.

Lofty said:
If this does have the new restraints, I sincerely hope that the vests are removed, I actually find them to feel more enclosed than ordinary OTSR's and whilst still comfortable, just feel 'stuck'. Really wishing that they scrap them.
Same here - I absolutely hate the vest restraints. I've only ridden one coaster with them (The Swarm) but my experience was they became so tight I couldn't move my upper body at all, I actually felt somewhat claustrophobic. I love the Hulk so I hope they don't ruin it with them.

Does anyone know or have a theory on why B&M introduced the vests in the first place? Their ostr was the best, the vest is worse in every way. The only thing I can think of is improved h&s, but, how?

Joey said:
Does anyone know or have a theory on why B&M introduced the vests in the first place? Their ostr was the best, the vest is worse in every way. The only thing I can think of is improved h&s, but, how?
They've had the vests since 2002 when Air was Built. I think they are personally very comfortable and much better than the old restraints. I'm not really sure why they have added them on rides outside the flyers, maybe they just wanted to look a little more modern?

The Flyer vests are a different kettle of fish entirely though - there they act as support because you're hanging. Also, because you're always putting pressure on them, they never constrict you like the wing coasters do. I've not experienced them on an invert yet, but wing coasters for me just get tighter and tighter to the point of discomfort.