What's new

Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

Re: Universal IOA to close Hulk for new enhancements

Lofty said:
I've only just realised that Universal themselves have online that it has 'new vehicles', I'm sincerely hoping that they addd the lap bar type restraints.
There is no way that B&M do a lap bar restraint on a looping coaster.

^ The lap bar TYPE restraint. I did not say "lap bars" as a factual term. their newer restraints rely mostly on the legs to restrain guests and have a more open view - yes, they have a 'vest', but that's not exactly seen as the 'restraint' itself - no matter where they 'start'. Giraffica and Shoot the Rapids aren't classes as having OTSR's...

Also - just gonna add, how do YOU know that B&M wouldn't add lap bar restraints on an inverting coaster? Do you work for B&M? No... Exactly. I think it's safe to say with where coaster manufacturers are heading with their products, it's no longer safe to say 'they won't do that' based off of their histories.

^ However, the recent B&M trend has been pointing to flyer restraints, not outright lap bars. Banshee has flyer restraints, Valravn is going to get flyer restraints as well.

The only instance of "lapbars" we have found for B&M is on their Happy Valley family invert, different than the OTSR of large B&M inverts.

b28fmMn.jpg

However, family inverts are slow, low g-force rides. New Vekoma's Family Inverts as well are now sporting simple lapbars. And while the new Vekoma SLC restraints are in essence a modified lapbar, they still sport a weighted vest for securing riders.

frontier-city-theme-park-2013-steel-lasso-large-3.jpg

63657.jpg

And we also have zero credible rumor of B&M implementing lapbar-only restraints on rides. If we are to try to seek a trend, the Flyer restraint has the greatest credence of adoption right now.

I hate the vest type restraint. The B&M OTSR is the best around imo, hope it just stays with those.

My point was that the main bulk of the system restrains you by your legs, as I stated above. I know that B&M have vests for their inverts that have these new restraints, I'm not **** stupid. :lol:

^ I am sorry, misunderstood what you were alluding to. Indeed, restraints that secure riders via thighs, hips, and pelvis (rather than the traditional shoulder restraints of Arrow) would appear to be the industry standard.

At least they're insinuating that it has new trains. Yay.

I just don't want it to have the terrible vest restraints :(

They kill Banshee and for a manufacturer who usually gets it so right they're so bad :(

Our first inversion is now in place.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/694660816344207361[/tweet]

Also moving this discussion to Rollercoaster Construction for better sorting.

Ben said:
I just don't want it to have the terrible vest restraints :(

They kill Banshee and for a manufacturer who usually gets it so right they're so bad :(
Indeed.

I mean, people of different body types will always disagree here, and I've not ridden Banshee, and Kyle didn't have an issue with the restraints... But he's taller and broader than the both of us, which might be a lot to do with it.

But yeah, I don't GET these vests. They only work on the flyers, because you're constantly putting weight down onto them and preventing them from crushing you. They SUCK on the wing riders.

The only thing I can think of is that they are part of a growing trend in preventing people from leaning forward... But I can't imagine how leaning forward with the standard B&M otsr was ever a problem.

If anyone ever meets anyone from B&M, can they ask why the change was made. And if they give some bull answer liek to improve comfort of riders, slap them. Hard. Then ask for the real reason.

Re: Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

mouse said:
Just a thought - does this make the original Hulk the first ever defunct B&M?
Yeah, I pointed this out to Peep a couple of weeks back.

Crazy thought, isn't it?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Re: Universal IOA | Incredible Hulk | B&M Retrack

Never would've put my money on Hulk. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ :lol:

The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking it'll be the same 'sit down' trains (maybe with onboard audio) with the newer vest restraints, but I hope I'm seriously wrong.

Onboard audio featuring the Avengers soundtrack? I could get behind that.