What's new

Universal Hollywood | Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Just announced that Universal Studios Hollywood will be getting its own Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Due to open in 2014/2015. It is rumoured to have the Forbidden Journey ride, similar to it's Florida cousin. Some different plans include an expanded Diagon Alley, Knock turn Alley, Gringotts, and Leaky Cauldron. It is expected to cost between 200 million to 265 million dollars, and rides like terminator 2: 3D and water works stunt show are planned to be removed or re purposed for the new land.

Hopefully we'll see a coaster inside the Gringotts bank themed like the trains they ride in the movies and books.

Source: La Times
http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/the ... 0406.story

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Harry Potter's World Coming to California

Yay end of water world! So essentially they are removing the entire top level of the park and turning it into Harry Potter and keeping the lower level, Simpsons, and the tram tour. Sounds good to me.

marc

CF Legend

Good move if you ask me, when we were there no one bothered with the top level.

Is Terminator staying though?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

^No the plans call for both Terminator and Water World to be replaced. They may also be using part of the backlot and/or the parking lot.

Josh73

Giga Poster

I would love a Gringotts coaster!

Sounds pretty good, I want to see how they do Knockturn Alley.

Ben

CF Legend

Brilliant.

Nothing could be a better idea than this <3 I bet Wisteria Lane will be gone by then though :(

marc

CF Legend

Sounds like its going to be much bigger than Orlando's and very different.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Yea the only thing that was confirmed to be the same was the castle and the forbidden journey ride. It sounds like they really plan to expand on the florida version. The big thing is that its rumoured to get different coasters, the park doesn't have any existing coasters to re-theme like they did at florida. If they end up building the bank, then it will almost defiantly have a dark ride or coaster themed after it.

Ollie

CF Legend

There's been rumours as well that Jaws is being removed from Universal Studios Florida and WWoHP is being expanded over to that park as well and guests can take the Hogwarts Express in between the two parks.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

^I just read that Jaws is to close on January 2. That would be very interesting, especially since they don't use the fear factor building and that is a large area. The Hogwarts express idea is pretty cool. Do you get into both IOA and USO with one ticket?

alexr

Hyper Poster

Yea, Jaws is closing on January the 2nd

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 851&type=1

From Facebook;

Hey fans, we want you to be the first to know… JAWS! and the Amity area will officially close on January 2 to make room for an exciting, NEW, experience we’re planning for you.

We know you love JAWS! and we do too. It has been an amazing attraction and after terrorizing the waters of Amity here at Universal Orlando for 20 years, it’s a VERY important part of our history. So, we’ve got a couple things planned to ensure we always remember and honor it. We know it’s hard to say goodbye, but we can’t express how EXCITED we are about the new, innovative & amazing experience we’re going to be bringing you.

393264_10150406220047852_90867402851_8597666_1168790795_n.jpg

Ben

CF Legend

Gutted that Jaws is closing <///3

I don't really see the NEED for it to be across both parks in Florida mind? It's a neat idea, but, I don't feel, they need more there outside of the area they already have?

We'll see. I'm not really going to complain if it meant more Potter stuff. Maybe a cred <3

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Ugh I loved Jaws :( so disappointed that its being removed, but again as Ben said if its Harry Potter I'm in. Its also rumoured that all the Universal parks will be getting Harry Potter lands aswell. I guess once they found something that sells there going to duplicate it world-wide.

alexr

Hyper Poster

I don't think it's more potter stuff, not sure though however jaws takes up quite a bit of room, This photo from tpr shows how much room it takes up.

jaws_3.jpg

Also I think Harry Potter would be good for California.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Ben said:
I don't really see the NEED for it to be across both parks in Florida mind?

People going primarily to buy overpriced wands will have to fork out for 2 parks/2 day passes at the very minimum?

marc

CF Legend
Harry Potter's World Coming to California

This is why Potter needed its own theme park and park of Universal.

I won't miss Jaws but how long will it be before other things get removed etc. The Jaws area is right next to IoA so I guess this is just an expansion to that park.

The current Potter land is tiny they need to expand or it will have a short life, attendance is already down. They need new rides and attractions etc. what they have is good but it's not enough.

davidm

Strata Poster

marc said:
The Jaws area is right next to IoA

Hardly!

jawsk.jpg

:)

Some talk of the pottertrain ferrying people between the two though.

Personally I hope the USO just get something else and they just confine the Potter expansion to IoA. :-(

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Yea keeping the parks separate seems to be the better of the ideas. Joining them would just piss off the GP. I wouldn't want to pay more for 2 parks when I can just skip USO and go to IOA.

marc

CF Legend
Harry Potter's World Coming to California

Christ I thought it was right next door lol. It's still the only area near Potter World, there's a load of buildings in the way though which they would probably knock down.

No they should not have it in both parks that's just them trying to make more money if they don't include both lands on the one ticket. Not everyone goes to both parks and buy the 2 park ticket.

The train idea would be good though.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

If they were to combine them, they could have the entire train journey indoors, and have projector walls similar to forbidden journey, going through different parts of HP world. It really does need its own park. I think USH will really be more HP than anything. The lower lot will stay, especially with Transformers coming in.

If HP is successful at USH, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it take over all of the park and they just change it to Harry Potter studios with a backlot tour and Transformers there as well. They could retheme Mummy to something with a Baslisk (the theming is **** anyways so it wouldn't change anything) and then Jurassic Park could change to something else as well, but that would be a giant stretch. I just hope nearly the entire top is Harry Potter because that place is depressing for how expensive it is.