Which voting system do you prefer?

• First Past the Post

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Alternative Vote

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

jokerman

Giga Poster
I completely agree with you there, but I think the shake up needs to be within parliament and within the parties, not in the method we use to get them there in the first place.

Nic

Strata Poster
I'm not posting this because I'm trying to drum up support for the yes campaign. I'm posting this because, as with everything in life, I think the general public need to take a more critical view of media and advertising. (To that end, if I find an equivalent one of these on the other side of the argument, I promise to post it here)

Obviously this is incredibly biased, but it does prove that you need to think carefully about the way that things are written and presented

http://imgur.com/a/hgmbQ

Smithy

Strata Poster
First past the post system is stupid.

The AV system is stupid.

Not much I can suggest to better them though. So I'll stay sthcum.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
^ Yeah and I fear that, as always, the ones who are most passionate are those who want to keep the world as it is and not the ones who want to change it. It's like herding cats. (Second time I've said this today...)

I'm gunna make the effort and get out and vote in favour of AV.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Tbf arguments from both sides are bordering on ridiculous.

"AV will get more people out to vote". No it won't. Free money would. A different voting system won't.

"We can't afford AV". But we can afford to increase our aid donations to countries such as India and Pakistan who're investing heavily in their infrastructures at the expense of taking care of the swathes of people in poverty.

Neither system will provide a fair result. Don't agree with either. So yeah I don't think I'll vote. No doubt I'll get lumped in as a youthful voter wasting his opportunity mind.

tks

Strata Poster
Tbh none of the politicians have any idea how to run this country anyway. They're all public-schooled nancy boys whose father got them a job in politics and have somehow inexplicably ended up in charge of a government department for which they have no expertise.

So whichever way we vote, we're still going to have a bunch of idiots at the top.

kir

Hyper Poster
tks said:
Tbh none of the politicians have any idea how to run this country anyway. They're all public-schooled nancy boys whose father got them a job in politics and have somehow inexplicably ended up in charge of a government department for which they have no expertise.

So whichever way we vote, we're still going to have a bunch of idiots at the top.

That's exactly the kind of passion for the state of our government that should drive YOU to make changes! <3

jokerman

Giga Poster
^That was actually a very well written article, and although I didn't agree with it all, I respected it. Until, that is...

That article said:
VOTE YES TO SPITE DAVID CAMERON AND GEORGE OSBORNE!

He got progressively more ridiculous as it went on. I know some of it was intentionally written that way to make a point, but some of it just felt like he was shouting to try and win some people over that couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing.

kir

Hyper Poster
I haven't read through this topic on purpose so I don't feel like my answer is influenced by somebody else's sparkling contribution, which is so easily done in politics.

AV all the way for me. I'll keep my reason really simple. With AV you can give your vote much more depth, you're not just voting for your favourite, you have the opportunity to vote for your favourite and technically vote against your least favourite/less liked parties. It's much better that way, because an opinion can NEVER be fully expressed just stating what you like, it has to be opposed by dislikes too in order to give it a more solid construction. That's just my way of seeing things anyways, in a very quick nutshell.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
jokerman said:
^That was actually a very well written article, and although I didn't agree with it all, I respected it. Until, that is...

That article said:
VOTE YES TO SPITE DAVID CAMERON AND GEORGE OSBORNE!

He got progressively more ridiculous as it went on. I know some of it was intentionally written that way to make a point, but some of it just felt like he was shouting to try and win some people over that couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing.
Er I think you'll find he was joking/mocking/being sarcastic throughout.

jokerman

Giga Poster
^Then you're very naive about the way political activism works. Yes, for intelligent people it is sarcastic, but it works on another level as well, for the people who will see that and think it's serious.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'm firmly in favour of alternative vote. Not that it'll make any real difference where I live, as Richmond is solid Tory territory, but any system that encourages people to vote for the candidate they actually want, as opposed to deciding which one of the big two they don't want, then voting for the other has got to be an improvement.

I'm no idiot. Alternative vote isn't going to be a magic fix, but right now I feel our political system is so badly broken that doing nothing simply isn't an option.

Dave

CF Legend
I still support the AV system, I wish it could've been more than one alternative voting system...as then it's not voted on in a First Past the Post way like it is now.

Nic

Strata Poster
I've just seen this. It made me lol...

Zb9tJ.png

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^That is rather good. Considering I've still not made my mind up, that might well have been the deciding factor. :p

jokerman

Giga Poster
^^But it doesn't make sense properly. You can't split up one thing into multiple categories and not the other. If the coffee was split into all the different coffee shops, then you would most likely end up with one of the pubs winning.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well you could change the examples to 'types' of drink. Beer/Wine/Spirits/Coffee. Still works out that more people want the alcoholic choice.

(Frankly I'm just being obtuse. No system is really 'perfect' or even that much better than the others so... meh)