What's new

UK B&M Hyper?

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Is there any park in the UK where a B&M hyper coaster could potentially be built? The only hyper coaster I've ever been on is the Big One which is of course the only one in the U.K and I loved it although it is so rough and there is so little air time. A B&M hyper in the U.K would be a real treat because I've heard they are super comfortable and smooth.

Re: UK B&M Hyper?

^ Realistically, the only park I think could afford one and could get the permission to build one would be Thorpe Park.

As Gavin said realistically Thorpe is the only one. Maybe Fantasy Island if the owners found one that fell off the back of a truck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This may seem an odd question but why couldn't Blackpool afford one?

Ignoring the fact they have TBO is there a reason the amount of investment each year they make seems so low despite the fact they must make a fortune on sales?

It doesn't matter if PBB could afford a B&M Hyper. They'd never buy one unless Amanda could design it to somehow star in the Hot Ice show.

To be honest, hope for another ride. I find the B&M hypers to be very mediocre coasters.

But to answer your question, there are probably more parks than one would except that could actually afford one if they wanted to, but I don't see any of the UK parks going for it.

Thorpe Park have been rumored to get one, but i call bullcrap on those rumors. The ride wouldn't fit the audience, and the park probably knows it.

I can see a hyper fitting in Thorpe perfectly, but it seems unlikely if the rumours are true about the shift from Thrill Capital to family park.

Personally I don't think hypers are mediocre at all. It really depends what 'floats' your boat.

Thorpe Park seems like the most likely place for a B&M hyper to be built. Blackpool doesn't have enough space for one. If Drayton could afford one I think they would get permission to build one but the chances of that happening are extremely slim

Mysterious Sue said:
Personally I don't think hypers are mediocre at all. It really depends what 'floats' your boat.

Heheheh! :lol:

I think a B+M hyper would fit Thorpe very well, even if they are trying to make their park more family friendly, as it often seems to be the case that inversions intimidate youngsters more than height. They only need to build a 220 ft coaster to get the 'U.K.'s largest coaster' claim for marketing purposes.

But if the long term development plans Thorpe released a few years ago are still vaguely in place, their next coaster can't exceed 170ft. If that's the case, I think an Intamin mega coaster like Goliath at Walibi World would fit the bill nicely, and that would keep the thrill seekers happy as they're a tad more intense than B+M hypers.

But then I have to remind myself it's Thorpe. They'll probably just build the worlds largest boomerang instead.

roomraider said:
As Gavin said realistically Thorpe is the only one. Maybe Fantasy Island if the owners found one that fell off the back of a truck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This may seem an odd question but why couldn't Blackpool afford one?

Ignoring the fact they have TBO is there a reason the amount of investment each year they make seems so low despite the fact they must make a fortune on sales?

Financially they've been losing money for years. Had to take out (yet another) loan, this time from the council, just to spend £7 MILLION on Wallace and Grommit.

But aye I can only really see Thorpe even being interested and even then, they just don't do enough for Merlin to even bother with them which is sad. If it can't nail a height or speed record there's no gimmick for Merlin to care about. Mega-lite would be more likely, opens up the scope of parks a bit more.

But I want Thorpe to get a wooden hyper :(

And forgive me for being ignorant, why would BPB get a hyper when it already has the Big One? I know it isn't B&M but 'normal' people won't notice any difference? :p

Jordanovichy said:
But I want Thorpe to get a wooden hyper :(

And forgive me for being ignorant, why would BPB get a hyper when it already has the Big One? I know it isn't B&M but 'normal' people won't notice any difference? :p

They could have B&M redesign it- that thing looks like some TLC would really help.

Smithy said:
If it can't nail a height or speed record there's no gimmick for Merlin to care about. Mega-lite would be more likely, opens up the scope of parks a bit more.
By that logic there's a definite chance they could; a B&M hyper could easily take UK height and speed records. A mega-lite would be much less marketable, but you'd hope such a major corporation as Merlin might eventually realise that building genuinely good rides does attract people.

I don't think they'll build one; if they want to go that high again they could do it for much cheaper, plus Swarm's lack of success might put them off B&M for a bit. I haven't got a clue what they will build next though...

Oh! Yeah, I had completely forgotten. Stealth is that tall one yeah? Ok, thanks :)

Next you'll be telling me Alton Towers has a B&M Flyer

Not that I believe it'll happen for a second, but a 'real' hyper at Blackpool would offer a completely different experience (one that involves actual airtime rather than just a view of the sea) and would be a stunning addition to the park's skyline. I doubt there's room for one anyway, but I don't see why it wouldn't suit he park or compliment their current selection.

Casio said:
Smithy said:
If it can't nail a height or speed record there's no gimmick for Merlin to care about. Mega-lite would be more likely, opens up the scope of parks a bit more.
By that logic there's a definite chance they could; a B&M hyper could easily take UK height and speed records.

Not at any of the Merlin parks though, which was my point. Alton you've got no chance, Thorpe's next installation has to be around the 180 mark iirc.