What's new

Tripsdrill | Hals-Über-Kopf & Volldampf | Vekoma STC & Family Boomerang Coaster

JoshC.

Strata Poster
According to Vekoma's website, even Lech Coaster can run three trains, but it has the same number of blocks as the standard SLCs and probably this too, which makes me think that this could also run 3 if a park wanted.

Looking at Vekoma's website, it certainly seems like an option to run Lech on 3 in theory. But when you look at the throughputs, in theory it works out as:
1 train: 500pph
2 trains: 1000pph
3 trains: 1200pph

So, theoretically (ie - running perfectly), a 3rd train only adds an extra 200pph, whereas a 2nd adds 500pph. Even then, running it perfectly would be hard to achieve (I'd imagine Lech could realistically get 850-900pph consistently). Because the extra block is at the end of the circuit, it also means that people would be waiting at the end on a block for longer, which usually bores people.

There's also the fact a 3rd train costs a lot of more, in terms of actually buying it, and then continuing to maintain it.

SLCs have clunkier restraints, more awkward trains and longer walks for staff to check restraints (they have to walk in between rows). So any benefit of having a 3rd train is basically lost by the fact your can't work quickly in dispatching trains on it. Blue Tornado is slightly different due to the extended layout, but again, the addition of a 3rd train is minimal.

For these STCs, even though the restraints are better and the trains are less awkward than an SLC, staff still have much longer walks to check restraints. I'd imagine again that any benefit of having a 3rd train is immediately lost in reality, unless you have a ton of staff.

So for this, and likely all STCs of similar length, I don't see them running 3 trains. Even if it theoretically could, there's no practical benefit to it actually doing so 3.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Optimizing capacity is really not that easy as you might think. @JoshC. has already explained a few of the issues. Usually, a halfway long layout without a MCBR will not be able to capitalize on a third train very much. The first train will have to clear the layout first, before the second one can leave the lifthill. You basicly create lots of stacking as well, except you use an seperate exit, which also requires more employees and more money to build.

For some rollercoasters it might be more valid. If the lifthill is slow (or can change speed to accomodate for the blocks), you might capitalize more. Untamed with it's obnoxious slow lifthill might actually profit from a third train by a decent amount, Zadra as well. However, due to the nature of the RMC restrains, the dispatch speed will be probably an issue. If you have the right dispatches, you can profit quite much from additional trains. Blue Fire Megacoaster powered by Nordstream 2 can technically run 5 trains, also the "only" use 4 to avoid stacking - and Europapark achieves close to 30 second dispatches.

If the runoff is long enough, an additional train might work out as well - Wodan is a great example for this, were they are managing to cycle 3 trains without much stacking. Usually, 2 trains are the best bang for the buck if the coaster does not feature a long (timewise) lifthill or runoff, or a MCBR.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
They surely stack 3 trains, but Blue Tornado seems do a fine job running 2 trains and not stacking them.

I am pretty sure this will run 2 trains.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Another fan of the colour scheme here. The green and gold looks steampunky and imo smarter than the many brash brightly coloured coasters that already exist. Sort of Efteling or Phantasia fantasy area vibe, or even Liseberg. Makes a change.

SDaniel

Roller Poster
They surely stack 3 trains, but Blue Tornado seems do a fine job running 2 trains and not stacking them.

I am pretty sure this will run 2 trains.
Efteling bought a 5th train for Joris en de Draak, because they can operate with 2 trains per track, while having the 5th train in maintenance...

Bluegamesful

Roller Poster
Tripsdrill also has 4 cars for Karacho with 3 being the maximum they use at once. Anyways, Hals über Kopf will only get two 10 row trains, the maintenance area is probably longer to have sone space to work in.

Ries

Mega Poster
I love this new addition to the park. The integration between the two coasters. The colour scheme. The station of the boomerang.
I am not a big fan of suspended coasters, this could also be done with another sit-down hanging up side down over the glass roof. All and all, this is a very good addition.

Alessio

Roller Poster
I visited Tripsdrill today and took some pictures.

The park began to build the station of Hals-über-Kopf which was originally planned to open in 2021. Furthermore, a short section of railway track was placed next to the station and underneath the lift hill of Volldampf. Possibly we will see a steam locomotive similar to the front car of the Family Boomerang? The track work on Volldampf is finished as well.

DJI_0893 Kopie.JPGDJI_0888 Kopie.JPGDJI_0885 Kopie.JPGIMG_9169_Fotorneu.jpgDJI_0908 Kopie.JPGDJI_0888 Kopie.JPGDJI_0882 Kopie.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0875 Kopie.JPG
    DJI_0875 Kopie.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 29

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I visited Tripsdrill today and took some pictures.

The park began to build the station of Hals-über-Kopf which was originally planned to open in 2021. Furthermore, a short section of railway track was placed next to the station and underneath the lift hill of Volldampf. Possibly we will see a steam locomotive similar to the front car of the Family Boomerang? The track work on Volldampf is finished as well.

View attachment 8152View attachment 8151View attachment 8150View attachment 8155View attachment 8153View attachment 8151View attachment 8149
I thought they were both supposed to open in 2020?
Thanks for the great photo's, going off the Junior Boomerang's station gives me hope for the STC's station looking as nice
Don't think the storage/maintenance garage looks excessively large