What's new

Toverland's Expansion Plan

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It will be interesting to see for sure.

If I remember correctly, Avalon / Fenix didn't pull in quite the numbers they were expecting in 2018, and 2019 wasn't much different in terms of figures. Obviously that's not the be-all-and-end-all, but with a major investment not pulling the first hit of numbers just before Covid, it will be something for them to consider.

Prior to Avalon and Port Laguna, I believe they wanted to double their attendance figures by 2025, and had planned to do that in 3 phases, with 2018 being phase 1, and phases 2 and 3 being new areas. Obviously that will be very different now.

Whatever they end up doing, it's fair to say that Toverland will probably do it right. Even if the numbers don't necessarily reflect it, the quality of their investments has been just right for the park, and they have every potential to continue to grow. They're in a very dense market, with lots of quality parks close to them, so it's not easy to do, but they still have the right ideas.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
This is very exciting, I absolutely love Toverland. I've only been once just after they opened Avalon but it really left an impression. I can't wait to see what else they create!

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
They need to get on and build their long awaited hotel next me thinks, which I think would help increase those visiting numbers, I mean there are smaller parks with hotels already - and I think Tover could do something unique.

I could image Toverland being one of the few non-IP based park 'groups' to have a second gate park, and just looking at the space they have, that could be possible, I also have that in the back of my mind due to the failed 'Nature wonder world/grand canyon' park that was to expand the' Gelissen Group' portfolio - so maybe, just maybe Jean Gelissen & team will bring that idea closer to home, just an idea!

I mean Toverland has only just come into maturity as a fully formed theme park, so the idea of a second gate is mad at this stage - but if you're talking 10-20 years ahead - it's not that mad! and if anyones going to do it, it would be be Jean Gelissen!

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
They certainly have the room to expand.

View attachment 11822
I did some rough measurements on Google Maps and the whole area (about 1.25 square kilometers), were they able to take up all of it, would be:

- Only 15% smaller than the entire Efteling resort at the moment, including the campgrounds and overflow parking.
- 4x+ the size of Phantasialand, over 3x with the triangle area they've tried to gain permission to develop on for decades included.
- 1.6x the size of the main Europa Park resort (Rulantica/Kronasår excluded)
- 3.5x the size of Toverland currently.

Lots of space to more than double the size of the park and still have room for hotels/camping to spare.

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
WATERPARK!

I agree with the hotel suggestion too, the park seems well-rounded enough at this point (mostly just missing a decent dark ride) to be worth staying the night for a family. Couple that with a waterpark to add a cheeky half day to really make the hotel worth it :p Doesn't have to be Rulantica scale, just a regular waterpark similar to Plopsaqua but with a sprinkle of Toverland magic!

I wonder if they're considering more large indoor areas, or if they're going to be moving everything new outdoors?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I wonder if they're considering more large indoor areas, or if they're going to be moving everything new outdoors?

Before Troy and the outdoor expansion there were plans for a 3rd Warehouse with the idea that with each - the offerings would target a slightly different age group and thrill bracket.... 1st for small kids......2nd for older kids etc.......

With the space they have I don't see why they wouldn't return to that idea as one of many possible future developments, after all those indoor areas are a great asset for Winter openings and offering all-weather entertainment.

However I can see them continuing with the outdoor part trajectory as it seems to be working well, and if they do do another enclosed area it would likely be a Waterpark as you mention!

or/and a theatre/show/4d cinema space!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I did some rough measurements on Google Maps and the whole area (about 1.25 square kilometers), were they able to take up all of it, would be:

- Only 15% smaller than the entire Efteling resort at the moment, including the campgrounds and overflow parking.
- 4x+ the size of Phantasialand, over 3x with the triangle area they've tried to gain permission to develop on for decades included.
- 1.6x the size of the main Europa Park resort (Rulantica/Kronasår excluded)
- 3.5x the size of Toverland currently.

Lots of space to more than double the size of the park and still have room for hotels/camping to spare.

I struggle to comprehend these figures, only due to the fact I did my own land mass studies on a couple of these resorts you have listed a couple years back. Europa park is nothing shy of gargantuan, and even though I'm yet to visit Toverland myself, I'm confident that these figures aren't true. Maybe a proper study on the land highlighted is needed so people get a good bit of insight into the amount of land available to Toverland as a resort. Maybe it's one of those things you simply cannot fathom unless you see it in person.

cookie

Giga Poster
I struggle to comprehend these figures, only due to the fact I did my own land mass studies on a couple of these resorts you have listed a couple years back. Europa park is nothing shy of gargantuan, and even though I'm yet to visit Toverland myself, I'm confident that these figures aren't true. Maybe a proper study on the land highlighted is needed so people get a good bit of insight into the amount of land available to Toverland as a resort. Maybe it's one of those things you simply cannot fathom unless you see it in person.
I mean, Europa is a large park, but it's also a fairly compact resort. The rides, buildings, and hotels all butt up against each other, and against the roads and houses surrounding the place. I missed Hotel Bell Rock and some of the employee areas in my initial measurement (so it's closer to 1.3x), but it does line up with the 950,000 square meters figure that's been thrown around a lot, which I think excludes Rulantica and Kronasar. There's just so much happening per square meter that it may look larger than it actually is.

As for Toverland, I could only go off of the angle shown in the video, but this was the area I came up with as a rough estimate:

Toverland area.jpg

What I could grasp from the video, however, is that it's only a proposed zoning plan so far, so who knows how much space they'll actually end up getting, and how much will be taken up by access roads and future backstage areas. But it is a huge plot they're looking at.

Edit: For reference, here's how I measured Europa:

Europa Park size.jpg

Last edited:

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I should apologise, was very accusational of me. Good maps, would've done practically the same. Interesting, and a bit mind boggling that Toverland have so much space to play with.

Of course for this case study, you can safely bet Europa's land ownership is a gargantuan plot of land. But despite the maps I'm still struggling to comprehend the scale of expansion Toverland *could* theoretically undergo.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Well yeah don't think anyone is beating EP's plot of land for future growth.
Screenshot_2021-05-01_at_14.53.57.png

20200410_152506.jpg

Still though great news for Toverland if they get it approved. Insane potential for the next decades of growth.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A certain mouse in Florida would shake his head and say "Peanuts". The total area of Walt Disney World is 101 square kilometers, and they've only used half of it so far.
A big difference is that Disney deliberately bought way more land in Florida than they ever intended to use in order to prevent what happened with Disneyland: cheap ****ty hotels, shops and chain restaurants right outside the gates and trapping the park.

Ries

Mega Poster
It will be interesting to see for sure.

If I remember correctly, Avalon / Fenix didn't pull in quite the numbers they were expecting in 2018, and 2019 wasn't much different in terms of figures. Obviously that's not the be-all-and-end-all, but with a major investment not pulling the first hit of numbers just before Covid, it will be something for them to consider.

Toverland is unfortunately still known for the indoor kids area (and a wooden coaster) for most people.
If they rebranded themselves, back then, when they opened the new entrance and Avalon. I think would've generated more traffic.

A lot of my friends don't even think of going there still. Toverland has the reputation of a small children park.
But their summer nights are really good. The outdoor coasters are fun. And within the current park, there is still a lot of potential.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Toverland is unfortunately still known for the indoor kids area (and a wooden coaster) for most people.
If they rebranded themselves, back then, when they opened the new entrance and Avalon. I think would've generated more traffic.

A lot of my friends don't even think of going there still. Toverland has the reputation of a small children park.
But their summer nights are really good. The outdoor coasters are fun. And within the current park, there is still a lot of potential.

Am I right in thinking that they did at one point consider renaming themselves at that point?

I know there was a small rebrand with the logo (which I wasn't a fan of - the current one feels a bit bland tbh), and seem to remember reading an interview somewhere where the name was mentioned.

I do wonder how they could shake off that image of being a small children's park, without losing that side of their market. Their coaster selection and special events (summer and Halloween) certainly appeal to the older audience, but they still seem to need one final push.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster

I actually think they have come leaps and bounds - and not so sure they are still considered 'just a kiddie park' anymore, and would say they have elbowed themselves into being one of the top 15 - if not top 10 theme parks in Europe, which is no small feat when you consider they are (only) 20 this year!

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m certainly excited to see what this plan has to offer!

This plan is allegedly spanning 20 years. To put things into perspective; 20 years ago, the park was a small indoor kiddie park with a Vekoma Rollerskater. It probably wasn’t even a dot on your average enthusiast’s radar. By comparison, look where it is now; home to some of Europe’s most loved rides and themed areas, and becoming a genuinely brilliant theme park for all ages.

So much has changed for Toverland in the last 20 years, and frankly, I can’t wait to see what they’ve become in 20 years’ time based on their trajectory so far!

Ries

Mega Poster
Am I right in thinking that they did at one point consider renaming themselves at that point?

I know there was a small rebrand with the logo (which I wasn't a fan of - the current one feels a bit bland tbh), and seem to remember reading an interview somewhere where the name was mentioned.

I do wonder how they could shake off that image of being a small children's park, without losing that side of their market. Their coaster selection and special events (summer and Halloween) certainly appeal to the older audience, but they still seem to need one final push.

You are right about the name change indeed. The interview came out little more than a year after opening the new bits.
The logo change was a year-ish before opening the new area's. And I agree with you comment on that. It does look blend.

To shake things off:
I would have called the indoor area 'Toverland' and keep the current mascot for that area. And rename the park, and get another park mascot. Better logo, etc.
But, it is a little late now. As they said themselves as well. Had to be done, while opening new stuff or don't do it at all.

I actually think they have come leaps and bounds - and not so sure they are still considered 'just a kiddie park' anymore, and would say they have elbowed themselves into being one of the top 15 - if not top 10 theme parks in Europe, which is no small feat when you consider they are (only) 20 this year!

They do indeed climb up the ladder. And you are right there. But if I go, I still get the look from people. Mostly less themepark nuts. They still think it is just a kiddie park.

Note on the topic.
I am excited about what they are going to do. Very curious. There is a lot of potential.
Bold move with the pandemic and Efteling not getting those approvals they need.

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster

Toverland will expand Avalon with several attractions in the near future (perhaps as early as 2022). This expansion is not a part of the 20-year plan described above. I just wanted to mention it here in this threat bc it's also an expansion.

When I look at the place that is left, I choose a typical Zamperla family attraction jet ski and a topspin built in like Talocan in Phantasialand but in a medieval theme (a ruin or something like that). Alternatively, a disc'O can also fit nicely into the theme. The 2 places where new additions can fit without effectively expanding the area are the following:
IMG_20210505_173802.jpg
Red: a Zamperla jet ski on this part of the pond.
Blue: a disk'O fits or topspin fits perfectly here.

*Yellow: is also possible but I consider that to be outside the area and I do not see an attraction over there.

Last edited: