What's new

Top 10: 2012 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
It's been a couple weeks since I've been to a park & it'll be a couple more before I get to Busch Gardens at the end of June, but I've been thinking on & off about my top ten & I shook it up a little bit.

Here's what it was last time I posted in this topic:

1. I305
2. El Toro
3. Millennium Force
4. Griffon
5. Apollo's Chariot
6. Alpengeist
7. Maverick
8. Incredible Hulk
9. Kingda Ka
10. Nitro

Here it is now:

1. I305
2. El Toro
3. Millennium Force
4. Griffon
5. Nitro
6. Apollo's Chariot
7. Alpengeist
8. Maverick
9. Incredible Hulk
10. Kingda Ka

Basically, I put Nitro ahead of Apollo's Chariot & shifted everything else down a spot. The reasoning for this change is that my initial feeling after riding Nitro was that it was better than Apollo's Chariot. Specifically, I thought it had more floater, a hammerhead element (which I love, and which Apollo lacks), and a better, more forceful helix. But I couldn't be sure about the comparison since I hadn't ridden Apollo in about a year, so I put it in my top 10, but further down (my Busch fanboyishness probably also had something to do with my hesitance to rank it higher). Over the past couple weeks, though, it kept bugging me that I initially thought one coaster was better than another but didn't rank it higher, so I just decided to go ahead & re-rank them, even though it's been weeks since I rode it. Apollo will get a chance to prove me wrong at the end of the month, though, so by then I will either re-rank them again or feel better about my decision.

I think this top 10 differs from most people's in many ways, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. I think what's weird about it is that it isn't exactly consistent. It seems that many enthusiasts' top 10's are filled with airtime machines or great looping/inverted coasters, depending on whichever one they prefer, but mine is kind of all over the map.

I305 is my fav because of the insane speed, quick direction changes, & positive G's.

El Toro is up there because of its ridiculous airtime and also some pretty nice positive G's in the figure-8 part.

Millennium Force comes in at #3 because of the great drop and sustained height and speed throughout the layout, which I find to be great fun, despite the relative lack of forces which turns off many enthusiasts.

Griffon gets #4 because I LOVE the drop... it's quite simply the best drop I've ever ridden.

Nitro comes in at #5 for all the aforementioned reasons... it's the best floater coaster in my count.

Apollo's Chariot is close, so it's #6.

Alpengeist at #7 is my favorite invert because I love the speed and size of the elements.. it's very different from most inverts, which causes some enthusiasts to rank it lower, but I've yet to ride an invert I can safely say I've enjoyed more.

Maverick is just a really fun ride and universally highly regarded, so no justification needed for putting it at #8.

Hulk is #9 for me because outside of the big ones at Busch Gardens and my top 2 coasters at KD (I305 & Dommy), it is by far my most-ridden coaster. And every time I ride it, I have a ton of fun. I think it's a great layout and I love the launch into the zero-G. What more can you ask for out of a looper?

Finally, Kingda Ka rounds out the top 10 because of the unbelievable launch (why else? :roll:).

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
My Top 30 coasters

1. Expedition GeForce
2. X2
3. Tatsu
4. Montu
5. Nemesis
6. Manta
7. Balder
8. Tonnerre de Zeus
9. Bizarro (SFNE)
10. Colossus (TP)
11. Riddlers Revenge
12. Wild Mouse (BPB)
13. Apocalypse
14. Hollywood rip ride rockit
15. Sheikra
16. Xcellerator
17. Black Mamba
18. Blue Fire
19. Batman: The Ride
20. Kraken
21. Stealth
22. Winjas Fear
23. Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail
24. Winjas Force
25. Megaphobia
26. Grand National
27. Boulderdash
28. Cheetah Hunt
29. Dragon Khan
30. Silver Star

This is my current top 30 however in the summer i am going on several new coasters in europe such as: Katun, ISpeed, Colossos, Oziris, Goliath, Wodan and Raptor

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Post USA trip, some tough choices around the bottom end, It took me too long to decide on a top 20 for me to consider going up to 30.

1. The Voyage
2. Skyrush
3. El Toro
4. Phoenix
5. Expedition Geforce
6. Top Thrill Dragster
7. Colossos
8. Millennium Force
9. Griffon
10. Diamondback
11. Nitro
12. Troy
13. Goliath
14. Apollos Chariot
15. The Beast
16. Phantom's Revenge
17. Intimidator 305
18. Silver Star
19. Nemesis
20. Hydra

^ Voyage is the best, haters gonna hate!

See, I found Skyrush to be intense in the right sort of way for me, as opposed to something like Intimidator 305, which felt like an obese woman was sat on my head.

I agree.. If my nerdy knowledge is correct, I305 is more positive G's which I find can ruin a ride completely for me, making it an unenjoyable kind of intense, whereas negatives/laterals like on Skyrush are a lot easier to handle. I hate coasters that just, as you put it, make it feel like a fattie is sat on you the entire time.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Brett7710 said:
13. Goliath
Which one?
The one at SFOG is my favorite, but I'm not sure which parks you've been to.
Did you get to SFNE? If so why no Bizarro love?

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Voyage is definatly my favourite by a hefty margain, that was before the re-tracking too.

ECG said:
Brett7710 said:
13. Goliath
Which one?
The one at SFOG is my favorite, but I'm not sure which parks you've been to.
Did you get to SFNE? If so why no Bizarro love?

The Goliath in my list is the one in Walabi world Holland, my trip this year didn't reach as far as New England, i'm planning on picking those parks up another time with a decent amount of time in Boston and NYC.
I haven't made it to SFOG yet either but I plan to go there in 2014 on a road trip picking up Carowinds and Dollywood and a few other parks then ending in Florida. I wonder how many times that plan will change in the next 2 years! Haha

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I should have said that the one at SFOG is my favorite one in the USA. The one at Walibi was in my top ten for the past three years until SkyRush & Leviathan knocked it out.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
ECG said:
^I should have said that the one at SFOG is my favorite one in the USA. The one at Walibi was in my top ten for the past three years until SkyRush & Leviathan knocked it out.
I'm not too sure how Goliath ended up that low in my list, around the time I rode them I was struggling to choose a favourite between that and EGF, but as time went on EGF just stands out more in my mind, especially for the forces on the first couple of hills.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
IntaminToWin said:
1. Volcano
2. Bizarro (SFNE)
3. Nitro
4. El Toro
5. Fahrenhiet
6. Voodoo
7. Medusa/Bizarro (SFGA)
8.Talon
9. Mind Eraser (They're all the same)
10. Predator

This is subject to change, though. I have an impending Cedar Point trip.

Finally got to posting the new list, here it is.

1. Millennium Force/Maverick/Magnum XL-200 (Too close to call)

...and then everything else just moves down, except Blue Streak comes in ahead of Predator (technically now off the list). Those three are just incredible, and each for different reasons. Also, the front is the best for Millie and Mav, but the back is best for Magnum

^ Wow, what an odd list. Volcano at the top above El Toro and Bizarro!? Probably the weirdest choice I've ever seen! Predator is fab though, I was pleasantly surprised after hearing all the negative things about it. It was probably my favourite thing at Darien Lake.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
So after my trip to Alton Towers, which I should hopefully be posting a report of later, my awful previous top ten has turned into a slightly bearable top ten.
I think my previous top ten went something like this.... (I apologise in advance for its godawfullness)
1. Swarm - Thorpe
2. Saw - Thorpe
3. Stealth - Thorpe
4. Air - Alton
5. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe
6. Colossus - Thorpe
7. Dragons Fury - Chessington
8. X:WTF// No Way Out - Thorpe (You can really see I am starting to run out of credits with this one appearing on the list)
9. Spinball Whizzer - Alton
10. Vampire - Chessington

Thankfully now it forms a far better list although I have some odd preferences like saw and thirteen.
1. Nemesis - Alton Towers
2. Oblivion - Alton Towers (The gap between Nemesis and Oblivion is very small)
3. Swarm - Thorpe Park
4. Stealth - Thorpe Park
5. Saw: The Ride - Thorpe Park
6. Thirteen - Alton Towers
7. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park
8. Rita - Alton Towers
9. Air - Alton Towers
10. Colossus - Thorpe Park

Something tells me I need to head over to Port Adventura... (Shambahlah and Dragon Khan could certainly find a way into my top 5)

Ethan

Strata Poster

1. Nemesis - Alton Towers
2. Megaphobia - Oakwood
3. The Swarm - Thorpe Park
4. Stampida - Port Aventura
5. Stealth - Thorpe Park
6. Robin Hood - Walibi Holland
7. Oblivion - Alton Towers
8. Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park
9. Speed - Oakwood ( just for the airtime hill <3 )
10. Rita - Alton Towers

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
6. Robin Hood - Walibi Belgium

I take it you mean Loop Garou/Werewolf at Walibi Belgium?

Robin Hood is in Walibi World (Holland) and is awful, besides if you'd been there Goliath would surely be in your top 10?

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Wow, what an odd list. Volcano at the top above El Toro and Bizarro!? Probably the weirdest choice I've ever seen! Predator is fab though, I was pleasantly surprised after hearing all the negative things about it. It was probably my favourite thing at Darien Lake.

I had ridden Volcano most recently of all of them, and it made an impression with its launch, and barrel rolls especially-a priority is to get back to SFGA and SFNE to really ride the other two, they are both a while ago now. Also, a Dollywood visit has changed the list yet again!

Entire revised list:

(Skyrush will probably either go between here)
1. Maverick
Millenium Force
Magnum XL-200
(and here when I ride it at summer's end)
4. Volcano
5. Superman:ROS/Bizarro
6. Nitro
7. El Toro
8. Thunderhead
9. Talon
10. Mystery Mine
11. Wild Eagle
12. Fahrenheit
13. Voodoo
14. Medusa/Bizarro
15. Mind Eraser
16. Blue Streak
17. Predator
18. Wildcat
19. Steel Force
20. Tenessee Tornado (an Arrow looper that didn't give me a concussion, it deserves this)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Brett7710 said:
Ethan said:
6. Robin Hood - Walibi Belgium

I take it you mean Loop Garou/Werewolf at Walibi Belgium?

Robin Hood is in Walibi World (Holland) and is awful, besides if you'd been there Goliath would surely be in your top 10?

Ok i've changed my mistake. But don't tell me what coaster's I should like and shouldn't. It's a matter of opinion and it's not as if you can change that or influence my opinion. Besides I have ridden Goliath, doesn't mean I fap over it.

Get real. Rant over.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Simple question and stating opinion as fact. Didn't want to offend, just slightly annoyed...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, you can understand the confusion. Rita and Stampida over an Intamin Mega? Even a kick in the groin is better than those two POS. Hence, you can understand why people would think it's a bit odd not to have it in your top ten.

Obviously, you can have whatever coasters you like wherever you like, but expect people to question those choices if they're very, very weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.