What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend

There's a pov of the coaster on Facebook that I cannot link.

Will leave it for you guys to post views, I'm going to wait until the effects are on.

It looks ok but maybe not as good as raptor with regards to choppers etc but a bit more forceful. We all thought this with raptor though until we went on it and found it had more theming interaction than a pov showed.

Loving the 1st drop.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Also

a video..of pictures..of some of the first riders. Although I can't seem to find these pictures anywhere! Where'd they come from!?

EDIT found em!

432373_10151335182240624_283706330623_23373852_1955752679_n.jpg

432373_10151335182185624_283706330623_23373851_1695805443_n.jpg

425263_10151335195290624_283706330623_23373893_879856748_n.jpg

396373_10151335196550624_283706330623_23373899_1437678539_n.jpg

423786_10151335241830624_283706330623_23374091_1273727980_n.jpg

432200_10151335249360624_283706330623_23374129_710339154_n.jpg

425837_10151335242905624_283706330623_23374097_1588122474_n.jpg

Mark

Strata Poster
Hmmmm. The ride itself looks very cool. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get a feel for the head/leg choppers in a video (as we found with Raptor - they are far more effective when on the ride :p)

As I've said before, lets not overly judge the coaster just from a POV because they very rarely do them justice (like with Black Mamba).

Overall, it just whets the appetite ready to ride

Smithy

Strata Poster
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the view from that side makes some of the inversions look really strange.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
I can't help feeling that the only impressive part of this ride will be the drop. Apart from that it will probably look more impressive to watch going round than it feels riding it? How much more theming is to be added? It all looks terribly bare from the videos/pictures I've seen. I think I'm expecting this to be better than Nemesis/Colossus/Stealth but below Saw which I still think is a fantastic ride.

Will the drop under the wing have the same failed effect as Saw where you can't really see it coming? Hopefully all this negativity I'm feeling will make the ride better when I ride it.

My amazing girlfriend managed to get us some special tickets for the 10th (for the day before my birthday!) so hopefully I'll get to give it a go then (last time I went to an early event, Saw, it wasn't running!).

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The story about arms being ripped off test dummies just hit Yahoo's front page, along with pictures from the Blades' ride, with quotes.

Funny part is no mention of the two wing coasters being built in the US.

Ethan

Strata Poster
NickkyG said:
I can't help feeling that the only impressive part of this ride will be the drop. Apart from that it will probably look more impressive to watch going round than it feels riding it? How much more theming is to be added? It all looks terribly bare from the videos/pictures I've seen. I think I'm expecting this to be better than Nemesis/Colossus/Stealth but below Saw which I still think is a fantastic ride.

Will the drop under the wing have the same failed effect as Saw where you can't really see it coming? Hopefully all this negativity I'm feeling will make the ride better when I ride it.

My amazing girlfriend managed to get us some special tickets for the 10th (for the day before my birthday!) so hopefully I'll get to give it a go then (last time I went to an early event, Saw, it wasn't running!).

A POV can never do a coaster justice, nor can any videos. You have to ride it yourself first! The headchoppers, like the plane wing, will be noticable, more noticable when riding for real. You can't see the wing on the POV because of the camera angle, that's all.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmmm... I'm back to 'meh' about this.

Before construction I was looking forward to it, but not excited, then when we saw all the theming and inversions going in I started to think this might actually be really good. Now I'm back to the 'it'll be good, but nothing special' point of view.

The only noticeable bits of theming are the wing and station roof, the rest just looks really bland and dull. Hopefully they'll get some trees/shrubs in there (I know they can't possibly have all the greenery in at the start) which will hopefully make it look a bit better.

I don't know... I know POVs and videos don't give the full picture, but it still looks a bit bland...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Right, I'm glad I've not watched the POV - judging by the comments I'd be disappointed.

A POV needs to be filmed when the ride is open fully with rider noise and full theme in place!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Still going to be the best ride at the park... Easily...

People just need to expect something like Raptor, rather than the second coming of Nemesis... I doubt any Wing-Rider is going to be completely intense tbh, just because of B&M's style and the way the intensity of Baco seems to hamper 99.99% of people's rides on it...

Am I excited for it? Yeah why not, it's a new B&M in the UK and shows that Merlin are improving year on year with their overall investments (for SOME parks ;)) and hopefully shall continue so... We also have a ride that will have a high throughput and probably won't die on opening day... That's something everyone can look forward to...

Finally I'll repeat the comments regarding POVs, and that rides cannot solely be judged on them (even with people on the ride)... So many rides like Nemesis, Blue Fire and Katun look a bit dull at times on POVs, yet those are all highly rated rides...

Until we can simulate an entire ride at our desks, patience till physical riding should still be deemed the answer to how good a ride actually is... Although I still get a feeling that a few enthusiasts will come off Swarm disappointed because of over-expectation of it being intense won't come to their fruition...

As for the dirt areas... It's arguable that it fits, since an alien species is destroying stuff a lot, surely explosions and things blowing up would cause plant life to die? (Or am I being slightly too over the top here? ;))

Lofty

CF Legend
rollermonkey said:
Why would they bother to mention two other Wing Coasters being built in the USA? It's not going to benefit Thorpe in anyway so it's pointless adding it in their Press Release. It's not as if they can cross-market, it'd be pointless.

marc

CF Legend

Ian said:
Right, I'm glad I've not watched the POV - judging by the comments I'd be disappointed.

A POV needs to be filmed when the ride is open fully with rider noise and full theme in place!

Agree with this!

As I said I did watch it but am reserving full judgement until I have been on it with all the effects on. I made a big error judging mamba and raptor before I had been on them and was do wrong.

A pov can never replicate speed/force/sounds and another things.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ha. I actually LOVE that video. It's really good. I love the effort they're going into for promotion.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
-lofty- said:
rollermonkey said:
Why would they bother to mention two other Wing Coasters being built in the USA? It's not going to benefit Thorpe in anyway so it's pointless adding it in their Press Release. It's not as if they can cross-market, it'd be pointless.

Because the article was written in the US, for the US Yahoo page, by an American for a US audience, and was not a Thorpe press release...

Kebab

Giga Poster
It looks great to me, I'd probably say it's looking the best in the park next to Inferno! Just flows so beautifully. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.