What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

That tank (sorry, APC) is definitely going to help see off a swarm of bees :p

The tank is one of the FV430 series also known as the Bulldog I think. It's not an M113.

fv430bulldogarmouredveh.jpg

Is what it should look like, but Thorpe have attached a turret to this one to make it look more tank like. At a glance it almost looks like a Bradley.

They are still in service so I don't know how they got hold of this. If they were going to get one you'd think they would go for an old Scorpion. Unless this one has suffered battle damage and been retired early that is the only answer I can think of.

This post was originally made by me on another forum.

:)

They cannot win can they lol. They try and create a story and some theming i.e a tank and still get slated for it.

I am glad they are making an effort with this coaster :)

TBH I like the tank, it will look better when it is on display somewhere and part of the theme. It's what Forbidden Valley at Alton Towers should have with Nemesis tentacles wrapped around but hey one can dream.

:p

Somebody has been playing too much COD methinks :p

I think it's slightly tacky at the moment. It looks too new.

Ethan said:
Somebody has been playing too much COD methinks :p

... No, I just know a lot about that sort of thing. Also I don't think that the FV430 has featured in any games.

:roll:

Ahh... now I see it. The M113 doesn't have the side hatches.

And the turret is hideous. I mean, it's widening out from the base of the tower, so that incoming RPGs are sure to blow the tower off rather than (hopefully) bounce off it. Almost as hideous as the trucks in the Norwegian army, where the hydraulics tank is painted white (makes for a perfect target that, if destroyed, renders the vehicle useless).

The vehicle was probably decomissioned long ago, perhaps used for exercises, target practise, or something, and then cut out of the budget. A lot of old materiel is churned up to nails and bolts these days as armies are shrinking.

I thought that. Battle damaged maybe? The turret is a fake. This type of tank/APC were fitted with an anti-air missile turret at the back and sometimes a machine gun but not tht turret we see on the one at Thorpe.

^Indeed. colour me confused.

All this attention for a tank. Wow. No wonder these topics get so massive. :lol:

Is this tank actually going to be using in the final theming at all or is it just something they are using for the advertising side of things?

It's funny that people are complaining about how the turret is fake, rather than complimenting the fact that Thorpe went and got a tank to promote the ride...

Enthusiasts :roll:

Tank is just marketing. Cuz it's being hired. Thorpe don't own it. It must be costing a lot, actually.

Well, to be honest you can pick up old/retired military vehicles rather cheaply. The fact of the matter is Thorpe have just done something that no one else have bothered to do in the past. As special as that is it's not genius. I would say there is a large chance that Thorpe does own the tank.

As for the turret sorry for being picky but that's just the way I am about that sort of thing. Personally they I think they could have done more but hey it's pretty good. It's just my opinion.

Nemesis Inferno said:
It's funny that people are complaining about how the turret is fake, rather than complimenting the fact that Thorpe went and got a tank to promote the ride...

Enthusiasts :roll:

Sorry. Well done Thorpe for buying an old APC and writing "War is coming" down the side. You’re so imaginative putting a tank in with a post apocalyptic scene.

:wink:

If I'm honest, I think they peaked with the Les Coogan character. That was superb marketing.

The tank is good. Mainly because it's a very noticeable object and will spark interest amongst the general public.

What I love most about this style of marketing is that they haven't bigged up the actual coaster. They've not (so far) claimed it to be "the most extreme" or the "scariest". There's no hype for the coaster. It's all about informing people that something is happening (or is about to happen) at the park.

The minute they start to hype the coaster itself and not the theme/anticipation will be when the marketing goes downhill.

Carry on, Thorpe Park, you're on to a winner so far.

To be honest though Merlin marketing isn't that bad. Th13teen has though given it a bad name. Looking at past rides I think that some of the adverts and the way they have promoted their rides has been very good.

The Les Coogan Facebook page was a joke though. The character himself was very much like the 'Oblivion Man' in the late 90s.

.Will said:
To be honest though Merlin marketing isn't that bad. Th13teen has though given it a bad name.

The marketing for 13 was fantastic, It got most of us aroused, It only started getting slated when we realised that the ride didnt match up. However im confident that The Swarm WILL match up to the marketing and hype and give us Merlin's first decent coaster in 6 years. (European parks excluded) :--D

Yep that's my point that the ride was over-hyped and the end product is a very good family ride but no where near as scary as the ads make out.

As for the Swarm if it's going to be hit or miss I doubt there will be any half measures. Raptor was good as was Krake lets hope that The Swarm comes up to that standard.

Rita? It isn't a bad coaster at all infact it is very popular everybody hates it though because like Spinball it has a 'quick fill' feel about it. So much more could be done with the rides. As for Thorpe well the rides are there to give thrills I don't think anyone really cares what they look like or where they are. Though SAW looks amazing and isn't too bad.

Chessie is well um yeah.

So, apart from a couple of coasters that are on the line I do enjoy Th13teen and think it is a good addition to the park and not as disapointment at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.