What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimahri

CF Legend
Re: LC12 - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

-lofty- said:
I love how this topic is on 53 pages already, without any ACTUAL construction, apart from the making of a big dirt pile...

This is standard procedure, move along.

the king

Mega Poster

Great photos Ian. I can see that they are digging holes for the footers, FINALLY. :D

Ben

CF Legend

You know the ironic, post-modern posts pointing out the fanboy nature of getting excited over mud are only funny when those fanboys exist.

But, you know, there's about two fo those posts in this entire topic, the rest is people pointing them out. Although they don't exist.

the king

Mega Poster

Do any of you lot know if the plane is a actual scrapped plane, say from heathrow or gatwick, or is it a replica like with the ones they display @ RAF museums. The empty hollow ones I mean.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

The replica planes cost tens of thousands of pounds (possibly even hundreds), it will likely be a scrapped plane, or one they have made specifically in house for the project. Both latter options are a much cheaper one than getting a replica.

.Will

Roller Poster

There are hundreds of thousands of planes awaiting to be scrapped and torn apart they would probabily use one of them. Once they have taken out everything that can be sold on there isn't going to be much left of any value so they will be able to sell it for scrap value which will probabily be around the £100000 mark? I don't know though as I don't as a rule by old planes.

;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

For the airplane crash scene in the latest War of the Worlds (featuring Tom Cruise!), Universal Studios found it was cheaper to purchase an old plane and scrap it than attempt to build their own. The crash scene is still a feature stop on the backlot studio tour.

Screenshot2011-06-27at121602PM.jpg

So I would imagine Thorpe would skip over to the nearest airport and buy a plane.

Beans

Hyper Poster

This is the prologue to the book Survivor by James Herbert, does it not have a similar storyline to LC12.

survivor1jo.jpg

survivor2.jpg

survivor3.jpg

survivor4.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofrHCKRJqcs[/youtube]

nadroJ

CF Legend

It DOES sound similar, but Thorpe aren't sophisticated enough to theme a new rollercoaster around literature, the target audience just wouldn't get it </3.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, I'm fairly sure from everything we've seen from that Candy woman that she wouldn't be smart enough to be able to read.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

nadroJ said:
Thorpe aren't sophisticated enough to theme a new rollercoaster around literature

Where's the literature? I just saw a passage by James Herbert?

Anyway, it's just an extract about a plane crash. There are countless books, TV programs and films which feature the exact same thing.

Beans

Hyper Poster

The reason for posting it was the location it is based in the area between Windsor and on the Heathrow flightpath which obviously is near Thorpe, I am going to re-read the book but a lot is based in a churchyard and wasn't St' Christophers mentioned in some psychic stuff to do with Thorpe. The Pub has a reference to the name so a lot of coincidenses.

But I agree Candy probably has never heard of James Herbert, my liking for his stuff goes back many years as he lives about 8 miles from me so a local writer. Actuall she might not have even been born when the original was relaesed in 1976.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Out of all the books I own (which is about 4 physical copy books) I never thought that one of them would potentially be related to theme parking :p

I only just noticed the prologue is so similar :p Nice one Tina! But I agree with Jordan etc, the likelihood of it actually being based on literature when the target population of the park struggle to navigate their way around a small, simple park is unlikely. Nice link though :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I don't understand why they couldn't use a theme/idea from a piece of literature just because Thorpe is filled with uneducated louts. It's a very unlikely link (it's taken quite a while for it to surface), but what would mean that the management/designers didn't just adapt the idea from the book? Sure, no-one visiting the park will have heard of the book (I never have!), but I don't know why that means it can't have been used as inspiration.

Just to clarify though, I don't think the book is really that involved purely because, as Gavin said, it's about a plane crash. Yes there are a few odd coincidences, but I don't think it means anything much.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Hmmmm... We know Candy is a fan of the horror genre, so there's actually a very good chance that she has read James Herbert. Well, I say read, tried to decipher the complete bollocks that he calls English in his early books is more like it.

I think as with a lot of things, you get influences and ideas from all over. One of the best places is to look locally and try and grab a local link to "inspire" you. Local tales, literature based on the area, etc. I honestly don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that Candy has possibly done a quick hunt around for local tales and pulled up Survivor. Or maybe she has read it and remembers it. It may just be coincidence too of course and things are being twisted to fit in and match.

Obviously it's not a direct tie in, but simply a possible influence. That doesn't mean the source isn't there, and if that's where the source came from, then I think it's a good bit of potential back story. As Tina said, there's been the hauntings in the church grounds or whatever mentioned previously. What we think of as "pants PR", may actually be a much longer string of building background... Well, I'd love to think there was that much intelligent design work going into the story...

Dave

CF Legend

furie said:
I think as with a lot of things, you get influences and ideas from all over. One of the best places is to look locally and try and grab a local link to "inspire" you. Local tales, literature based on the area, etc. I honestly don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that Candy has possibly done a quick hunt around for local tales and pulled up Survivor. Or maybe she has read it and remembers it. It may just be coincidence too of course and things are being twisted to fit in and match.

I think they did;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Eu ... Flight_548

Status
Not open for further replies.