What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
My bet is that that isn't the actual clearance envelope, it's probably enlarged to make it seem like there is less space; another crappy marketing ploy from Merlin.

not_sure_if_srs.jpg

Agreed. Underwheming certainly doesn't apply here. It was only that generic standback view I found underwhelming. I love seeing the huge track twisting and turning adjacent to supports etc. With theming this will be an incredible experience (although not as forceful as I'd like).

^The choppers are the best when it comes to wingriders. OK, it won't be on the same scale as Nemesis for intensity, but the experience will be absolutely breathtaking.

**** sake. This topic makes me sad. They wouldn't be building the **** thing if it was going to crash into it's theming. Have you ever though they wanted to get it as close as possible to the actual theming?

Oh, yeah, in terms of that pathetic comment about it being another "marketing ploy from Merlin", that's bollocks, most people won't have a **** clue what that piece of metal actually does. Even if it's explained to them. Also, a lot of the time, they're calculated and sized up to be larger than the actual size of people sticking their hands out, up, etc. Just to make sure. Come on, it's common sense?

Posts complaining about the crap content of the topic contribute to the problem and cause it to derail into an argument. In my opinion that is worse than a couple of derpy posts. This is a warning. Do not be agressive to other forum members. Do not contribute to topics derailing into crap by moaning about it. And lastly, do not post if you've got nothing worth while to say.

MOST of the people who've made stupid comments about the ride envelope are clearly misunderstanding comments made from others and trying to correct them. For example, myself, Hixee and others made comments along the lines of "that looks odd, but it's highly unlikely that they've made a mistake it's probably just an illusion" and others have taken that as us being uncertain of the clearance.

All of this could be solved if people just read posts properly before jumping to conclusions and posting excitably.

If you have an issue PM me DO NOT contribute and risk this topic turning into a mess.

Thanks for understanding.

ANYWAY....

That photo of Raptor is really nice. I somehow doubt Swarm is going to have the same immersive feel to it, tbh, but I think that's almost the nature of Swarm's theme. Though, that in itself is worthy of criticism. Regarding the comment about Raptor having an onslaught of near misses, doesn't that in a way devalue them as you get used to them? Surely one or two really awesome near misses is far more effective?

^ That is a good point about the near misses detracting from the other ones. However, I think the nature of Raptor's near misses that go the length of the roll is a brilliant idea, and works really well because of the constant directional change. I don't think the effect would work quite so well were the track not twisting, as it only fits through right at the last second.

I for one get bored on rolls such as that, I don't understand or really appreciate hangtime, and find the inline twists on Colossus dire. I think these near misses make up for that and will make it better.

That is Raptor though, and from the looks of it, The Swarm does not have as many near misses, or as much theming, so we'll see.

One thing I am concerned with is somewhat of a small factor in the coaster, but nevertheless important anyway; the finishing of the pathways. I always feel that pathways and fencing especially are Merlin's downfall, and they always feel to have been put in as cheaply as possible, without blending into the theme of the area. It'll be interesting to see how or IF they well integrate the pathways and fencing into the theme of a warzone.

^ There are pictures of the textures and designs of all the fences in the plans. And even a diagram showing which fences go where... hope that helps :)

Not a huge fan of the near misses on Raptor. I barely noticed them on my first ride at the back, then at the front it was a better ride but I still didn't notice them. Expecting this to be the same, if a little bit worse, cause it's Thorpe.

Oh and the clearance envelope looks like B&M have designed the ride wrong. tut tut.

^Oh for goodness sake. NOT EVERYTHING IS BAD JUST CAUSE IT IS AT THORPE PARK.
Anyway, they may be better because they are tighter.

tks said:
Expecting this to be the same, if a little bit worse, cause it's Thorpe.

What's that got to do with anything?

The near misses on Raptor were very noticeable, especially around the first inversion.

^ Stone Cold didn't really notice any of the ones on Raptor until I gave him a FAB on-ride tour.....

I think these may be better than the Raptor near misses, because they appear to be fully enclosed.

^ They're all out-doors with the same 'crash through' effect?

Call me stupid, but none of them are 'fully enclosed'?

^Oh, I thought they looked like they might be. Never mind... :(
What I meant by that was, on Raptor the tree only has a head and leg chopper, and doesn't also have an arm chopper appart from on the bottom. I thought some of the effects on SWARM were going to chop everything.

^ Some effects probably will [See - station flyover inline], However Raptor has several of these effects, including a smashed through bridge and a weird metal square right after the tree:

bg_realizzazioni_foto_foto_id97.jpg

lneb1ctg8ai8i5q001lb54.jpg

imljm919ui8n8002lekhc5.jpg

Also, just another point.
Note Raptors concept trains:
30aamii5gmeo3hro92t000.jpg

And then look at how they look now.

I know Thorpes concepts are more probable, seeing as they're based on the simplistic design, but hey. Just Sayyyyyin.

Literally didn't notice any footchoppers going though the inline twist. In fact the best part of the ride was skimming close to the ground on the turns. There's your footchoppers.

Although I don't expect the footchoppers to be as good on Swarm because it's at Thorpe.

^^ You do realize that the concept trains also have intamin restraints, in fact it looks like they photoshoped some people from a Furious Baco picture into their concept art.

^ Thanks for pointing out the obvs bbz <3

I blates meant the 'theme' of the trains, the concept of it, not the restraints. We aren't all thick. Now go do something useful like washing your hands with bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.