What's new

Thorpe Park retheming X to The Walking Dead

Smithy

Strata Poster
If we're writing off his opinion because apparently he's not happy at missing out on an invite to a media event, are we to write off the positive reviews of those who were invited to said media event also?

I've seen no evidence of him spitting his dummy out, not that I doubt it mind.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
If we're writing off his opinion because apparently he's not happy at missing out on an invite to a media event, are we to write off the positive reviews of those who were invited to said media event also?

I've seen no evidence of him spitting his dummy out, not that I doubt it mind.
It's pretty obvious to see who's being genuine and who are protecting their image with the parks. There are only a few reviewers I generally listen to and even with some of those you need to take some of their reviews at certain places with a pinch of salt.
As I've said before, I much rather hearing the group on here's opinions as they usually aren't agenda driven.

Apart from @Howie who's always wrong and @Lofty who is always a ****.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Went on this yesterday and it's actually alright. Once you get past the hammily acted pre show there's quite a tense atmosphere inside and the ride itself is exciting enough with all the zombie mannequins being strobed right next to the car. I really like it when ride narratives give a solid reason for you to be on the ride vehicle (in this case you're in Thorpe Park which is being overrun by zombies so you need to get in this vehicle to escape). However the end made no sense. You get off the train, walk through what's essentially a horror maze without actors then you're back in Thorpe Park which apparently is overrun with zombies. Did you make it to the safe zone? Or did you do all that escaping to end back up in the place you were trying to escape? I feel that as they were going for a plot that was more ambitious than 'Ooooh zombies on a coaster!' then it should have felt a bit more logical.

For a low investment year this is a decent addition. I never liked X as it was just bare walls and vinyls so to have proper theming and a bit of a story is definitely an improvement to me. However I'd love to see both the X pyramid and Colossus removed in a few years to make room for something else.

Matt N

CF Legend
Went on this yesterday and it's actually alright. Once you get past the hammily acted pre show there's quite a tense atmosphere inside and the ride itself is exciting enough with all the zombie mannequins being strobed right next to the car. I really like it when ride narratives give a solid reason for you to be on the ride vehicle (in this case you're in Thorpe Park which is being overrun by zombies so you need to get in this vehicle to escape). However the end made no sense. You get off the train, walk through what's essentially a horror maze without actors then you're back in Thorpe Park which apparently is overrun with zombies. Did you make it to the safe zone? Or did you do all that escaping to end back up in the place you were trying to escape? I feel that as they were going for a plot that was more ambitious than 'Ooooh zombies on a coaster!' then it should have felt a bit more logical.

For a low investment year this is a decent addition. I never liked X as it was just bare walls and vinyls so to have proper theming and a bit of a story is definitely an improvement to me. However I'd love to see both the X pyramid and Colossus removed in a few years to make room for something else.
Great to hear that you liked it (to an extent)! Out of interest, does the exit corridor still have actors or were they just for the press night? Only asking because some people have said it does and some people have said it doesn't.
EDIT: Just saw the bit about the exit. Whoops.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Great to hear that you liked it (to an extent)! Out of interest, does the exit corridor still have actors or were they just for the press night? Only asking because some people have said it does and some people have said it doesn't.
EDIT: Just saw the bit about the exit. Whoops.
Cheers! No actors in the exit corridors but it felt designed for them. Especially one section where it was pitch black and a series of curtains and strings hanging down, felt like something straight out of a Tulleys maze. I wouldn't be surprised if this had an actor or two in come Fright Nights and I did wonder if it was originally designed to year round before being cut. The walkthrough sections before and after the coaster make up such a huge proportion time wise of the whole attraction so it feels like a wasted opportunity at the moment.