What's new

Thorpe Park retheming X to The Walking Dead

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Trying to think, are there many indoor rides that have had retrofitted themes? I want a comparison, but can only muster Raptor Attack so far (retrofit was more queue than ride)
Only other indoor coaster that comes to mind is Temple of the Nighthawk... but I'm assuming Thorpe aren't going for the 'lets just turn off the lights' kind of retheme... haha

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Yeah, I did it today, it was good fun.

If people want an idea of what the ride is like, it's like a love child of X, Van Helsing's Factory and Platform 13 merged into one. It perhaps doesn't hit the same level of theming as Van Helsing in the ride section, nor as creepy as Platform 13, but I'd put it level with those sorts of experiences.

(Also, shared a ride on Ghost Train with the CoasterForce people this evening but forgot to say hi - so hi!)

Ben

CF Legend
If it’s on the same level as Platform 13 and Van Helsing I’m happy because they’re fabbb.

I’ve been really impressed so far, interested to see what the CF press night contingency thought of it!

Matt N

CF Legend
TTSP have now uploaded a POV of the attraction:

It looks absolutely stunning! This makes me really optimistic for future additions to Thorpe Park!

Just a question, for anyone who may have been at the press event, does the ride contain scare actors, or were these just for the promos?

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Ngl I actually think this new take on X looks pretty great.
I think using the already impressive queue as a walk-through before the ride makes sense, and the effects on the coaster are definitely an upgrade on anything I've seen used on it before. I think they've done well with this (although I hate to think of the cost of using the brand name etc).

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
TTSP have now uploaded a POV of the attraction:
It looks absolutely stunning! This makes me really optimistic for future additions to Thorpe Park!

Just a question, for anyone who may have been at the press event, does the ride contain scare actors, or were these just for the promos?

From what I understand it was just for the press night. But yeah overall the ride was pretty great. Obviously it's still the same coaster, but the new theming, sfx and sounds really elevate it to a whole new level. It's a wonderful experience, and I really did forget that I was just riding a re-skinned X at some points. Very impressed with what they've managed to do, can't wait to see what people think of it. With this and Wicker Man it genuinely appears like Merlin are really invested in making high quality additions to their parks. It's not everyday that you hear me say this but wow Merlin have done a superb job this year with new additions!

Matt N

CF Legend
From what I understand it was just for the press night. But yeah overall the ride was pretty great. Obviously it's still the same coaster, but the new theming, sfx and sounds really elevate it to a whole new level. It's a wonderful experience, and I really did forget that I was just riding a re-skinned X at some points. Very impressed with what they've managed to do, can't wait to see what people think of it. With this and Wicker Man it genuinely appears like Merlin are really invested in making high quality additions to their parks. It's not everyday that you hear me say this but wow Merlin have done a superb job this year with new additions!
I completely agree! It is so gratifying to see, and it really makes me confident for the future of the UK theme park industry's main players under Merlin.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I was very skeptical of this, but it sounds like the right people have been put in the right places for the last 2 installs.
Well themed, not scrimping on the details, and put out a good overall product. I'm still waiting for something great to be installed at a Merlin park, but it's only a matter of time now and as long as the right people make the decisions, then I'm hopeful they'll get it right.

I'm still miffed that they've got rid of a family coaster, but Thorpe was never really a family park, they should totally overhaul the existing family attractions and decide what they want to be now.

Matt N

CF Legend
TPW now has a review of this on their YouTube channel:
Interesting to see that he didn't like it, I thought Shawn would like it, personally.

Matt N

CF Legend
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, though. Even if it disagrees with mine. I, for one, think that this looks like a stunning revamp of an enclosed coaster, even if the actors do put me off riding! I also love Shawn's channel and its content, even though I know I am in a minority on here that do!

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm not debating that everyone has an opinion, I am debating his validity when he's evidently spitting his dummy out at not getting invited to preview night when loads of other people did.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm not debating that everyone has an opinion, I am debating his validity when he's evidently spitting his dummy out at not getting invited to preview night when loads of other people did.
Ah right OK. I was just surprised, because Shawn never really seems like that sort of person when you watch him on video, and I didn't really notice any signs of this in his review, either. You must be very observant @Lofty!

Lofty

CF Legend
Not really observant, a lot of people around him and who know him are also saying the same thing to be honest with you. There's more than meets the eye with that guy ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
Not really observant, a lot of people around him and who know him are also saying the same thing to be honest with you. There's more than meets the eye with that guy ;)
So would that mean I'm unobservant? Anyway, I personally think that Thorpe have done a fantastic job with this coaster, and it really makes me optimistic for future additions to Merlin theme parks!