What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

^ Rode for the first time yesterday (got three goes), and the above review pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly.

The area aesthetic is “fine”. It’s very Six Flags / Cedar Fair in terms of presentation, in the sense that there’s no theme or immersivity to speak of. There's boxy buildings/facilities/station, a gold 'overlay' (rather than theme), and virtually no interaction between the ride layout and the surrounding guest areas, including queue-line. It's all fine, but it's just a bit of a missed opportunity, particularly the interactivity point. Something like the cut splashdown viewing area would really elevate things.

As for the ride - Hyperia's 30-40 seconds of ridetime are the best 30-40 seconds of roller coaster you can find in the UK without question, and perhaps some of the best 30-40 seconds of roller coaster you can find worldwide. Its elements are spectacular and insane; particularly the outerbank/dive element. I got lucky and got a front seat ride, and this was just beautifully mad all the way through the element. So much fun. As you exit the fourth big element (the stall), Hyperia has been truly special.

But the problem is... that's the end of the ride.
Not to get too philosophical about the experience of roller coasters, and the 'narrative' journey you get taken on, but at the point you hit the splashdown brakes, the ride just doesn't feel 'complete' - and yet you're one turn from the end. It feels like you’re halfway through this epic movie/TV series/concert/[insert medium of choice], which unexpectedly and suddenly just stops. Having been pulled up a 236ft high summit, for the journey to be forcibly stopped after 30-40s when the train still has so much energy, it's actually quite jarring and unsatisfying, despite the prior highs. The splashdown brakes so strong that it's obvious as you're riding that things are being forced to an unexpected close; you actually feel a bit miffed and disapppointed, before the ride's even ended.

When the plans were released, on paper it looked like a disappointingly short layout for a hypercoaster - but this directly translates to how it actually *feels* when riding it too. I'm ok with a short ride - I love the likes of Stealth or Oblivion - but their brevity and singularity are kinda the point of the experience they're trying to deliver. As a result, the experience, despite being shorter, feels 'full' - the narrative journey you're on feels like it progresses and ends as it should. Likewise, even on a ‘longer’ coaster like Nemesis, the ending feels like it comes about at the right time. Hyperia just feels like it's missing a huge portion of ride experience between the stall and the finale - like it's missing its second half.

Perhaps I'm unfairly judging this against expectations set by other coasters, particularly hyper coasters (Shambhala, Hyperion), that tend to have a much longer layout that makes full use of the greater potential energy the train possesses. Whereas I don’t think I’ve ever been on a Merlin coaster that I’d describe as long, the feeling of the ride time being too short is exacerbated because of Hyperia's unique selling point: its extreme height. When you're taken up to and dropped from 236ft, you feel like you're on a journey - so when it is brought to an end after only 30-40s when the train is still flying, it feels unnatural and like your journey's been cut short.

I guess there was no budget for a longer layout (in which case, not quite sure a 236ft tall hyper is the best choice of ride)? But given they did go this direction, yes, the splashdown braking section unfortunately becomes essential to slow the train - but I think there are ways it could have been implemented differently to make it feel less jarring to riders. Had this appeared as per the plans, with the braking being part of a 'true' splashdown section with a guest viewing area (again, think Shambhala), then this brake run I think would at least feel more like another big feature or ‘element’ of the ride. But instead, it’s exposed without defence as the killjoy it is: a disappointing and clunky plot device that’s needed to scrub off speed and bring the ride to its enforced early conclusion.

(I should note that the splashdown fountains weren't working at all when I rode - so perhaps I didn't see it on its best day. (Equally, the fact the fountains weren’t working after just a few weeks of operation perhaps illustrates another issue!)) In the interest of fairness, I should also note that I'm not sure I've ever seen operations better on a coaster - the ops team there are doing a fantastic job of batching full trains and dispatching super quickly.)

So all in all, Hyperia is a weird one to review. I don't mean for this review to sound overly negative, because it's not meant to be - its 30-40 seconds of ridetime are undeniably some of the best you'll find worldwide. I came off the ride buzzing, wanting to go straight back round for another go - and I can't wait to get future rides in. Yet, at the same time, it also seems like a massive missed opportunity on a number of fronts. This applies to the overall ride package (including the station, environment, splashdown, theme etc.) but most importantly to the ride itself, where it feels like only half the intended or 'expected' ride experience was actually delivered. That feeling of "this could be so much more" is not just some wishful roller coaster enthusiast's 'want' - it actually *feels* like that when you're riding it, despite how good the preceding ride experience has been.

Had my first go today and wow, its a fantastic experience and is easily for me the best coaster in the UK.

I got three rides, 4th, 5th and 7th row, sadly no front or back row but thankfully i can go back again.

IMG20240717110027.jpg

Ride area: The area does lack in any good theming but the stylisation it has is fine, i love Steel Vengeance and i did not come off going ahhh yea the lack of theming was not great and detracted from my experience. Dont get me wrong they could have done better but theming is a plus for me when riding big thrill coasters, hopefully they do tidy up the lake a bit and i would like to see some more vegetation, in a dream world hope they build that viewing platform.

The ride: After the fast dispatch and heading through the smoke cloud you go to the outer bank turn which is ok, better than a flat turn i guess.

You then climb the lift, i dont know why but for me anything over 50m feels high, over 60m and i love it, any ride at this height give you a great view of the surrounding area. Hyperia at over 70m feels like it just keeps climbing when it should have reached the top, nice scenic view to the right and a great view of the park to the left. No idea whats in front as you get whipped over the top and it begins, for me there is no rest till the "splash down" as everything flows from one ellement to the other seamlessly.

The drop is wild and my favourite on any coaster, out of your seat pulling you round 180°, you go through the headchopper structure and leave your seat as you drop down heading to the outer bank. You are flung out of your seat and hold the air all the way through the roll, the stall gives a fantastic floaty feeling, its ejector, positives, ejector, positives and its all brilliant.......you then hit the "splash down."

Sadly its not in operation and i doubt will be coming back 😅, without the water its just a break and not great. But its necessary as for me the next outerbank is a wild fling of laterals and airtime, the final hill is good, of the elements the weakest but by no means bad.

We hit the breaks laughing, i could not process those first four big ellements, after two more goes they still perplex me. Definitely need to ride it more but on a quiteter day, we got on it three times in the first two hours but later it hit 160mins, we left it to come back a different day.

Not sure how high it ranks, best in UK easily but i dont think its quite in my top 10 overall, but give me a better seat and more goes, it may go up.

For its shortness.......kinda but there are a lot of coasters i feel like i want more, it should have two big hills instead of a break and smaller one or just a longer layout but this is what we have and i love it. Roughness/vibrations for me......nothing noticeable.

Fingers crossed this does great for Thorpe and we wont have to wait 12 years for the next coaster. Hopefully the next has everything we want, but was Hyperia worth the wait? For me yes, 100% yes, i even got a fridge magnet 😁

IMG20240619093408.jpg

On a slight side tangent, what is the Single Rider Queue like on Hyperia? Does it tend to offer a notable advantage over the main queue, or is any significant advantage potential negated by it being quite busy? Does it get busy, or is it usually quite quiet?

I’m going next month, and I was pondering whether I could potentially use it for a reride if my parents and grandad allow me to reride and they don’t want to go back on. I wouldn’t want to only have 1 ride on Hyperia if possible, but I obviously wouldn’t like to bet on what queue times will be like during August.

On a slight side tangent, what is the Single Rider Queue like on Hyperia? Does it tend to offer a notable advantage over the main queue, or is any significant advantage potential negated by it being quite busy? Does it get busy, or is it usually quite quiet?

I’m going next month, and I was pondering whether I could potentially use it for a reride if my parents and grandad allow me to reride and they don’t want to go back on. I wouldn’t want to only have 1 ride on Hyperia if possible, but I obviously wouldn’t like to bet on what queue times will be like during August.
When I went in June, the SRQ was faster than main queue but not a huge, huge amount. Plus they were batching single riders in pairs occasionally for some reason, me and the other half were batched together in the last row while the main queue was full, along with our friend who got batched with another single rider into the row in front of us!

On July 13th I managed 16 Hyperia rides in the single rider queue. (Alongside other stuff, 23 in total that day.)

It certainly gets busier as the day goes on as the normal guests figure out what a single rider queue is and that Hyperia has one, but it's still almost always quicker than the main queue. Obviously it will be a lot busier as the Summer holidays get going but you should still easily be able to get more than one ride on Hyperia.

So when the single rider queue is quiet, use it! Because it won't be empty all day.

There is absolutely no reason to ever join main queue (unless you are absolutely insistent on riding with somebody). Main queue is HORRIBLE and always longer than SRQ and is generally a really dreadful queuing experience.

Approximate waiting times for SRQ on 2 train operations and quick dispatches:
1721257508069.png

Also quick note - DO NOT get into the extended queue outside the entrance if you are joining SRQ as you can just walk straight past all of that and go right through the entrance.

Attraction Source have released a Q&A with Mack rides on the making of Hyperia.

Only just started watching but its already very interesting.

Here is the first concept before they decided on what we got which was the 6th version.
IMG_20240718_200102.jpg

Looks like a pretty great layout, there is a POV of it at 12:00

Last edited:
Attraction Source have released a Q&A with Mack rides on the making of Hyperia.

Shortened answers in the Q&A:

"would you be able to put a spinny seat on hyperia"
-we think it's doable but not sure. it has to verify clearance and make sure it stays within appropriate forces. backwards seats definitely

"what is your favourite mack produkt"
-ride to happiness, hyperia, flying fish, voltron, helix

"is there a coaster designed by a different manufacturer that you wish you were involved in"
-eejanaika, iron gwazi

"how do you manage the tolerances between the groundwork and the steel track/supports"
-good thing is: steel is flexible. a small column can't move much but a big column can. so you can tilt them a bit and they are fine. there is leeway to accommodate the different tolerances between the concrete and steel structure.

"what are the similarities and differences between the mack rides proprietary software and fvd++"
-everything in fvd++ is in our software, plus more. fvd++ is a tool and our software is a toolbox. designers pick from the tools in the toolbox to what best fits them

"how much do you know about a ride's theme before designing it"
-boring answer: it depends. sometimes we have a whole storybook with months of work into it. sometimes we have a park give us a green field and tell us "do something".

"how can I work for mack rides"
-make yourself known, get out there and share your ideas, "hopefully someone will recognise that your ideas are somewhat okay and maybe warrant a full time job". honest answer: it is entirely up to chance. the industry is small but the amount of applicants is huge

"what ride do you wish you were involved in"
-helix. it looked extremely fun to design a layout that went around liseberg's hillside with the terrain and interactions. those constraints encourage creative ideas. also dc rivals because I like high roller coasters and it has a cool layout

"of the original 9 layouts for hyperia, which one was your favourite"
-the first 3 or 4 I wasn't involved in so they're not my favourites. it would be a pity if the one that was built wasn't my favourite

"if merlin gave you 20% more budget what would you have done with it"
-it would be longer, extension would start after the trim brake as you still have good speed. go out to the outerbank again. discussion on making it longer never happened. it would have had lots of airtime. guy 2 says we could have added a 6th car to the train but that would've increased the size of the maintenance area

"are duelling coasters more challenging to design and are you involved in stardust racers"
-no comment on stardust. yes they are more challenging

"how excited are you to have two new designs in what will be one of the world's most famous parks"
-oh my gosh. very excited. as excited as a german can be.

"in the past 100 years what has been the most important innovation in roller coaster technology"
-clothoid loops. if not for werner stengel, roller coaster technology would be 10 years back from how they are now. guy 2 says outside banked turns

"is there a name for the hyperia outerbank"
-the internal name is the Kremer Roll named after Maurice Kremer who designed the layout

"what's the craziest element you have ever made"
-for me, the banana roll on a spinning coaster. we were like "can we do that?" and we could. guy 2 says the first drop on hyperia and the outerbank

"is there physical input into layout design or is it all digital nowadays"
-we have a toolbox that has tools you can use. ask the software for an element that provides 4Gs and no laterals and it designs that for you. ask to provide sustained -1.2G with 90 degree outside banking and it gives you the perfect outerbank. you can also tell it to acknowledge a wall the track cannot go through. the software is also self documenting so another designer can open it up to see what the intent was and what the constraints are. so for example if I open up the hyperia design it should be obvious that the first drop was limited by the ejector in the back row, and the same goes for the angular rates in the twist, the valley is limited by the 4Gs etc.

Out of pure curiosity, I’d be curious to know; is there anyone else on here who hasn’t ridden Hyperia yet?

I only ask because it feels like everyone and their dog has ridden it now, but I’m not able to get on it for another month…

Love that interview! And appreciate the summary.

Is it cheeky that I would have asked them how upset they were when Merlin told them to cut the layout in half? Mack rides, if you're reading this, message me.

On a sidenote, I find it really interesting how much attention UK threads get on this forum. Perhaps it's a UK-heavy forum, or perhaps there is a huge demand in the UK for more rides. If it's the latter, it's no wonder Universal wants to invest.

Out of pure curiosity, I’d be curious to know; is there anyone else on here who hasn’t ridden Hyperia yet?

I only ask because it feels like everyone and their dog has ridden it now, but I’m not able to get on it for another month…
I haven't been on Hyperia yet.

I live up North (Gateshead) so Thorpe is quite the drive for me. However, I do intend on biting the bullet and driving down on the first week of September to get my first rides on it...hopefully it's nice and quiet with the kids back in school then 🤞

Me. But I live in America, which is why.

Me as well - I'm holding off until September as well when teething issues should be resolved and it might be less insanely busy.

Love that interview! And appreciate the summary.

Is it cheeky that I would have asked them how upset they were when Merlin told them to cut the layout in half? Mack rides, if you're reading this, message me.

On a sidenote, I find it really interesting how much attention UK threads get on this forum. Perhaps it's a UK-heavy forum, or perhaps there is a huge demand in the UK for more rides. If it's the latter, it's no wonder Universal wants to invest.
It's a pretty UK heavy forum compared to most sites, which makes a change from the rest of the internet being so American dominated.

Was at thorpe the day before it opened. Probably won't get back there again this year. Satisfied with the fact I've ridden 7 new RMCs and visited 13 other parks in the mean time and I think i'd just get angry with how short the layout is anyway, so I'm quite happy as a non-rider for now.