What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

That corporate style video chock full of buzz words made me cringe quite a bit, but I wouldnt expect them to give any details about the problem.
Although if it was something like the lift hill you think they could give a vague idea, but I suppose they dont want to give any newspapers ammunition.

I'm surprised people expect them to reveal what is 'wrong' with it, in a video, for millions to see. People don't need to know, and it's in the best interests of the park to keep it under wraps as well as Mack.

Once it's back open and running, this down period will be forgotten and all will be rosy. The park have been as transparent as they need to be.

I'm surprised people expect them to reveal what is 'wrong' with it, in a video, for millions to see. People don't need to know, and it's in the best interests of the park to keep it under wraps as well as Mack.

Once it's back open and running, this down period will be forgotten and all will be rosy. The park have been as transparent as they need to be.
It's not that I expect them to reveal anything. On the contrary, I do not expect and think they shouldn't. However, I think that they set themselves up for failure and ridicule with their new branding. They are sugar coating (being too positive about opening day, deflection), not providing information freely, etc. They tried to rewrite their brand on many cliches not fully considering the choice of words or values.

I think they’ve been pretty open with the dates they are expecting Hyperia to be available from. As best they can be at the moment at least. While the nerd in me wants to know what’s up, I think it’s wise from Thorpe not to release anything further. Every time the big one at Blackpool breaks down on the lift hill, it’s in the MEN news as some catastrophic event. Probably wise to not give any information that could be used to put a negative spin on probably the biggest investment in their history.

Anyway, sucks as I was supposed to be riding it on the 6th. But… glad it looks like it won’t be down for too long based on the info so far.

I think they’ve been pretty open with the dates they are expecting Hyperia to be available from. As best they can be at the moment at least. While the nerd in me wants to know what’s up, I think it’s wise from Thorpe not to release anything further. Every time the big one at Blackpool breaks down on the lift hill, it’s in the MEN news as some catastrophic event. Probably wise to not give any information that could be used to put a negative spin on probably the biggest investment in their history.

Anyway, sucks as I was supposed to be riding it on the 6th. But… glad it looks like it won’t be down for too long based on the info so far.
If you're still visiting, there's still hope. They were very clear in saying that they'd be trying to get it open earlier. Fingers crossed for you. 🤞

If you're still visiting, there's still hope. They were very clear in saying that they'd be trying to get it open earlier. Fingers crossed for you. 🤞

Thanks! I have an annual pass so it didn’t cost me to book the ticket anyway. And luckily I’ve not booked a train or anything yet (Manchester to Thorpe is pretty expensive.. haha). I’ll leave the ticket hanging for now, and if it opens I’ll book a last minute train. If it isn’t open by the 5th I’ll just reschedule with nothing lost really. Just means the anticipation continues.. haha.

It's not that I expect them to reveal anything. On the contrary, I do not expect and think they shouldn't. However, I think that they set themselves up for failure and ridicule with their new branding. They are sugar coating (being too positive about opening day, deflection), not providing information freely, etc. They tried to rewrite their brand on many cliches not fully considering the choice of words or values.
But opening day was really quite successful, they aren't sugarcoating that, I was there, it was a great day. The queues were huge, but it's opening day, of course they were. What came after has been the ride being closed, I don't see any sugarcoating there, just "our apologies, here's when we think it will be back". I think in most ways that matter they're doing a much better job at communication than they have in the past. They haven't been perfect, I believe it took them too long to let people in the queue on the 25th know what was going on, but there's been a noticeable improvement from the Thorpe of old.

I also strongly doubt that most people have even read Thorpe's new brand values, much less refer to them when they fail to live up to them. I used to work for a corporation and one of their values was "Heart", like we were Captain Planet or something. Corporate values can generate a near endless amount of derision.

Why would a corporation have corporate values... Well...

Ah yes because its a way of pretending you're responding to your critics.

Your hospital isn't safe. Yes it is we're "safe, kind and excellent".

Your theme park isn't transparent. Yes it is we're "transparent".

Your corporation treats it's employees like ****. Of course we don't. Haven't you seen we like the word "Heart"?

Corporate values. They only exist to tell you what the corporation isn't.

Just saw Hyperia has been ranked on Captain coaster.

1717236743438.png
Source

55th on earth
19th In Europe
2nd in UK

It only has a few reviews so far, once it reopens it will change as more come in, but its interesting to see where users rank it, to those you have ridden it, is it roughly where you would place it? I'm intrigued where it will rank on other polls once they come out.

Last edited:

View attachment 31782
Source

55th on earth
19th In Europe
2nd in UK

It only has a few reviews so far, once it reopens it will change as more come in, but its interesting to see where users rank it, to those you have ridden it, is it roughly where u would place it? I'm intrigued where it will rank on other polls once they come out.
I think it will absolutely be uk number one, and a little higher in Europe too, but not ‘much’ higher in Europe top 15 maybe top 10.

I haven’t seen anybody say anything other than it being the best in the UK yet. So I’m guessing it’s UK ranking is purely based on the lack of ratings.

It’s a new ride, so recency bias will help it a lot. The more interesting reviews will come in a year or so.
Keep also in mind that local thoosies may hype it to bits because it’s the first ride with real airtime in the UK. To be fair, Icon last row gives some nice ejector in places, but that doesn’t seem to be Hyperia level of airtime.

Now give me your the hate for that statement, I am waiting 😈

It’s a new ride, so recency bias will help it a lot. The more interesting reviews will come in a year or so.
Keep also in mind that local thoosies may hype it to bits because it’s the first ride with real airtime in the UK. To be fair, Icon last row gives some nice ejector in places, but that doesn’t seem to be Hyperia level of airtime.

Now give me your the hate for that statement, I am waiting 😈
No... I'm not mad... I'm just disappointed!!!

Recency bias will play it's part, especially on the international scene. But not when it comes to UK number one. The absolute gulf between this and anything else in the UK cannot be bridged enough by recency bias, at least not from me anyway. Remember, I rode Hyperion and Zadra the very day before. Icon is a family coaster in terms of its forces when it's compared to Hyperia.

View attachment 31782
Source

55th on earth
19th In Europe
2nd in UK

It only has a few reviews so far, once it reopens it will change as more come in, but its interesting to see where users rank it, to those you have ridden it, is it roughly where you would place it? I'm intrigued where it will rank on other polls once they come out.
What’s the #1 UK coaster right now?

Well its made the news today at least....

It’s pretty cool to see our dorky little hobby, featuring the input from other dorks, hit the BBC front-page. Although…

He is currently in the United States where he was set to ride on Top Thrill 2 at Cedar Point in Ohio - billed as the world’s tallest rollercoaster - which was also recently opened and abruptly closed due to a “mechanical failure”.

… hurrrghn!

Well that's definitely my mind made up for visiting in September instead of June.

On the bright side - it looks like I'm going to Flamingo Land later this month. Yay?

*uncontrollable sobbing*
Don’t worry, thinking of finally ticking sik off myself in the next few weeks.

Although on the plus side, I’m also visiting Emerald Park for the first time next week. :)