What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

^ BUT, the bus is part of a larger experience, if it was a standalone experience, it would have SO many complaints.

jj23w

Hyper Poster

^ Yes understandable obviously if this was the same thing as The Bus the. Obviously there would be more experience, but the first worst thing is if that is what it's supposed to be then it's pretty much the same as Angry Turds.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I don't know if anyone's really following this, but part of the building has been completed and walls are beginning to be constructed. Photos on TT and Thorpe Park Mania.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

^ Derren Brown theme seems even more plausible now as it talks about reality being distorted etc. I hope the price tag which is nearly double what a Giga coaster costs in the US (about $25 million or £15.9 million) is worth it.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

I really hope it isn't Derren Brown themed. An IP would be acceptable (although I'd rather it didn't have one), but for a big new ride to be themed to a celebrity.....

JoshC.

Strata Poster

An update from today...

11891092_10156057423465624_795520531190608866_n.jpg

11895983_10156057423595624_7885414442803355008_n.jpg

11902373_10156057423575624_3566220332251501704_n.jpg

11960256_10156057423640624_2944433886964828709_n.jpg

11891233_10156057423645624_5725065972484977356_n.jpg

Plus these posters are up around the park...
11919122_10156057423395624_1591172781288871146_n.jpg

Progress is coming along nicely, and the photos taken from Inferno (taken during a lift hill climb after park hours, with permission) really do show the size of the building!

mouse

Giga Poster

Although I would prefer something more substantial, if they're gonna go for a celebrity theme I think Derren Brown is one of the best they can use.

Ben

CF Legend

Wow, mind alteration, original theme Merlin, you haven't done this since Smiler!

That poster just screams 'MERLIN ARE CHEAP', you'd think with 35mil you'd get a better poster.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Yeah but there's cheaper ads and then there's that...

If you're chucking £35m on an attraction you need to advertise it properly, look how AT advertised The Smiler, in my opinion it was done excellently with the spraying sheep and the projection on Big Ben...let's hope that this crappy poster is the start of a great advertisement campaign.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

To be fair, at this stage in 2012, the marketing for Smiler consisted of those DNA boards and nothing else. It kicked up a great in September with the logos being sprayed all over the park, and then up a further notch over closed season with the sheep stunt, logos appearing in train stations and the Big Ben thing.

Whilst it's quite basic at the moment, hopefully things will pick up a lot more and we'll see some more clever things done over the coming months.

melchi

Roller Poster

Am I the only one thinking they could install something like the new simworx robocoaster G1 or even a G2?

Can't post links but the simworx website under products has some pretty nice pics and videos of the system.

The only thing going against the idea is the pit where the station goes, this would be an issue for the tracked vehicles.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Some great images there, Josh! I'm quite intrigued by the L (almost) U shaped walkway. I wonder if that is part of the queue or the ride itself, meaning there could be an on-foot section.

I have to admit that I'm not tremendously excited about this ride but now structural work has begun, I've turned up my interest scale a notch. I do hope that it doesn't look too warehousey and the rumoured £35m spend includes sexy theming and is not all spend on the ride. We're talking serious money here, almost twice the cost of The Smiler. This spend reflects either a big spend on theme or a new type of ride that required a lot of costly R&D.

With this sort of attraction, I think Thorpe would be better off telling people what it is and then big up the experience. All of this "secretive" nonsense doesn't help to sell a ride to the public. What sells is the experience. "This ride down this and wow, it will blow you mind."

spicy

Giga Poster

Ian said:
With this sort of attraction, I think Thorpe would be better off telling people what it is and then big up the experience. All of this "secretive" nonsense doesn't help to sell a ride to the public. What sells is the experience. "This ride down this and wow, it will blow you mind."

Completely agree, you can be secretive about a coaster because once the track starts going vertical people in the park can visually see what its going to be and it sells itself. Then its just about marketing the theme or typically the 'World's First' element in Merlin's case.

However dark rides will just get lost on people. You don't see Disney/Universal being secretive about any of their new dark rides they tell you straight away what it's going to be. The new Kong ride has had a poster up for months and the website:

https://www.universalorlando.com/email- ... -kong.aspx

Just looks so much more professional and interesting than Merlin's attempt with the big eyeball. There's even a video explaining the attraction getting you excited for it.

Still I am interested to see what this is going to be, I just hope it isn't a massive flop and going by past attempts (Sub-Terra/Charlie) I remain very skeptical. The UK hasn't got a decent new dark ride since maybe Hex.

elephant58

Hyper Poster

And let's be honest, Hex is still just a flat ride.....

If it's anything like Valhalla, it will be one of the best rides in the country, but I don't think it will be.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Ian said:
And more than that, this ride needs to be a different length. The Swarm failed because everyone said "is that it?" when they were rolling back to the station, and over at Warwick Castle the (upsold) Merlin attraction seemed to be just getting going when you ended up in the gift shop.

So Thorpe need to tell people what to expect on this ride, but I've a horrible feeling it will be one underwhelming room after another until you walk blinking out into the daylight wondering where that climactic scene was.

spicy

Giga Poster

Robbie said:
Ian said:
And more than that, this ride needs to be a different length. The Swarm failed because everyone said "is that it?" when they were rolling back to the station, and over at Warwick Castle the (upsold) Merlin attraction seemed to be just getting going when you ended up in the gift shop.

So Thorpe need to tell people what to expect on this ride, but I've a horrible feeling it will be one underwhelming room after another until you walk blinking out into the daylight wondering where that climactic scene was.

That is a very good point, all the best dark rides in the world (Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, Transformers, etc..) have a clear beginning, middle and climatic ending, so you never feel short changed and actually feel like you have been on a journey. I really hope this has that.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

It's lovely to read that some of us think that dark ride's should be laid bare before they open. This doesn't mean releasing every word of the story or visitor experience but tell people what to expect.

Take for example Transformers at USO. Before I rode it, I knew, thanks to the information on their website and what I heard word of mouth, that I would ride a simulator whilst watching an amazing battle between the goodies and baddies unfold before my eyes. What I didn't know was the story and how it would be presented. Look at the Fast and Furious ride that has recently been announced at USO - there has been no faff, no opportunity to create a negative attitude towards it by churning mysterious "ooh aren't we cunning" through the rumour mill. Casual theme park goers (the general public) DO NOT sit around discussing "I wonder what USO or Thorpe Park's new ride is". They only talk and get excited about what they know; "I'm going to Florida next year, mate!" "Really? Cool! I hear they've got a new ride based on Fast and the Furious". "That sound wicked, I must give that a go." ONLY ENTHUSIASTS TALK ABOUT EMPTY BUILDING SHELLS, MUD, AND BILLBOARDS! The public, who financially contribute the most to theme park coffers, talk about the experience and the brand associated with it. I really wish Merlin would look across the Pond to the USA and change their marketing tact.

If WC16 is a simulator of some kind, get this information in the public domain ASAP so people have an idea of what to expect. Then they can spend the next six months or so selling the story and experience. Everybody - goons and GP - will be more excited about it!