What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Re: Thorpe Park construction?

elephant58 said:
From what I've heard, the track for the Ferrari World one is big, because it's mostly outside?
I don't think it is outside. Are you thinking of Flying Aces, their other new coaster? Also surely the track size doesn't alter weather inside or out. I am starting to think we should all start setting our expectations low, if we go in expecting a coaster we are bound to be disappointed.

^I'm fairly sure I read that Mission Ferrari was partly outside and that's why the track was big, but I could be wrong. I'll be disappointed anyway, having 6-7 years without a major coaster is ridiculous.

^ Do you mean 'whether'? If not, Mother Nature will be sad.

Track size does matter regarding inside or out, mainly due to the size of this building, it's doubtful that a coaster would be inside this new building. That's what was being hinted at.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

Looking at the plans, the buildings are too small to fit in a significant coaster. Besides, I don't think Thorpe would want to build another indoor coaster. It has to be a dark ride.

^ Judging by the plans of the exterior facade, I would give up on that dream right now!

Are Thorpe seriously building a dark ride right next to X? Seems a bit redundant.

X is an enclosed coaster, this is a Dark Ride, completely different.

Is anything actually happening on site, what's going on with this? I'd expect a building to be up soon if we're going to get anything remotely OK.

Lofty said:
^ Do you mean 'whether'? If not, Mother Nature will be sad.

Track size does matter regarding inside or out, mainly due to the size of this building, it's doubtful that a coaster would be inside this new building. That's what was being hinted at.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

Ha can't believe I made that mistake, was typing it all day yesterday...

Yeah totally agree. There's not enough room for the SFX track in that building. And considering it's not going outside, we can debunk that theory. At this point I am just toning down the hype to avoid disappointment. It could be cool, but my dreams of a revenge of the mummy style premier coaster are highly unlikely unfortunately. :cry:

Ugh, there's one of those sign up things: http://Www.mindswanted.co.uk

Again, it's mind altering, change of reality (wonder if that means virtual reality), blah blah blah.

Clues so far: Train depot theme, possibly Victorian, mind altering, not big enough for a coaster. Some kind of immersive Tunnel/Simulator?

I had completely cast out this particular rumour as it seemed like utter nonsense at the time, but somebody on Thorpe Mania (I think, could just as easily be Towers Street or Towers Times) suggested that Thorpe had wanted to work with Derren Brown for some time. Seems like a very odd choice, but "minds wanted" and "get inside your head" do hint at something similar.

Still not sure how much I believe that rumour, but it does seem worth bringing into the discussion at this point. Also just saying, I would be so happy if it were Derren Brown related!

Ben said:
X is an enclosed coaster, this is a Dark Ride, completely different.

Is anything actually happening on site, what's going on with this? I'd expect a building to be up soon if we're going to get anything remotely OK.

The building has started to go up, but it's not the main section, I think.....

TT has photos on their topic for this ride.

11822624_1043136499032862_7132394155984744900_n.jpg

I think Lofty / Ian are pretty close with the immersive tunnel from simworx. Not sure this fits the budget though? I heard this was Merlin's biggest investment to date (could just be hear say though). Anyway the only Immersive tunnel I've ridden was in Cinecitta World and it wasn't great, granted it had only just opened but cant see it getting much better. Would like to think Merlin would have a better go though!

Chris Brown said:
I think Lofty / Ian are pretty close with the immersive tunnel from simworx. Not sure this fits the budget though? I heard this was Merlin's biggest investment to date (could just be hear say though). Anyway the only Immersive tunnel I've ridden was in Cinecitta World and it wasn't great, granted it had only just opened but cant see it getting much better. Would like to think Merlin would have a better go though!
Yeah - they're surprisingly more expensive than people think, especially if you consider the use of batching, pre-show rooms etc. Look at the Lost Temple in Movie Park Germany, that would have cost a fortune.

Merlin added one of these style attractions to the Shrek's Adventure attraction at County Hall, so I really wouldn't be surprised if they sort of stock bought the product. Also - I hope to god they just use the Alterface's 'The Room' ride that's in storage there (Vengeance), that would make me PISS.

See we did a 'Vengeance' in Tibidabo and I was actually quite impressed by it. There was actual scoring, a decent plot and things dropping from the ceiling as well as the usual spinning and leg ticklers. Still would be hilarious if Thorpe used thiers as part of the new ride somehow. The sadistic part of me kinda wants that to happen just to see how awful it would be.

If its anything like the Shrek 4D bus or as highly themed as Shreks Adventure we are onto a winner.

I found it better themed than most of the Merlin Attractions we have, The bus was good animation wise as well as the digital mapping if they can keep all of this maintained then I have high hopes for the dark ride.