What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Re: WC16 | Thorpe Park | New ??? for 2016

Yeah, i'm sorry but I don't see why anyone would think this would be Ripsaw. I can guarantee you that ride is rusting away in a pit alone and unloved (and by that I don't mean it's still in one piece in Forbidden Valley).

It sounds to me very much like this will be some kind of simulator experience. I do question how well it will age, what with Sub Terra dying a surprisingly fast death, but eh I am sure I will like it.

The VR headsets are different to the ones used for Galactica. The ones used here apparently have front facing cameras as well, which means you can 'interact' with your surrounds. I'd love it if this meant that whenever you 'look' at someone else whilst wearing the headset, you saw a ghost instead of a person. Would be really cool, but don't know how feasible that actually is?

I do also hope that we don't have live actors in this, as I'd fear that in a few years time, we may see them disappear / reduced in number. But I'm certainly interested to see what the live action stuff is.

The VR headsets are different to the ones used for Galactica. The ones used here apparently have front facing cameras as well, which means you can 'interact' with your surrounds. I'd love it if this meant that whenever you 'look' at someone else whilst wearing the headset, you saw a ghost instead of a person. Would be really cool, but don't know how feasible that actually is?

I do also hope that we don't have live actors in this, as I'd fear that in a few years time, we may see them disappear / reduced in number. But I'm certainly interested to see what the live action stuff is.

JoshC. said:

Oh wow, so it features augmented reality? Well damn, that sounds pretty neat! Yeah I seem to remember the periscope video saying something about actors playing a role. I totally agree there's reason to be concerned about them reducing the number of actors, but to me I don't think it sounds like an actor lead experience.

silenthillXD said:
JoshC. said:

Oh wow, so it features augmented reality? Well damn, that sounds pretty neat! Yeah I seem to remember the periscope video saying something about actors playing a role. I totally agree there's reason to be concerned about them reducing the number of actors, but to me I don't think it sounds like an actor lead experience.

I'm not sure if it's augmented reality per se, but the system is meant to be able to identify objects around you (even if they're moving). So you should be able to, say, walk around whilst wearing the headset, and not bump into any walls or a person or anything. So it could potentially be really awesome.

I agree that it doesn't sound like an actor lead experience. If there are actors, I'd expect them to only be in one scene / 'section' of the experience.

Bit late to all this, but that suspended train carriage looks rather splendid indeed - hope it looks as good for real.

Like everyone I suppose, just hoping its not pants. ;-)

daviddoc said:
probably a rather wild theory... but could part of the ride be a repurposed ripsaw?

That would be the best plot twist ever. ha =D>

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

Who ever said about the carriage "dropping" I bet is spot on. This is just going to be another Sub Terra but ramped up a notch.

I genuinely have no faith in Merlin what so ever.

I don't think you'll get in the carriage to be fair, it reads like it'll just be themeing.

Like I feel like you'll see the suspended one and then enter a fake version?

Also, don't forget the VR is just one element - we don't know the others yet.

I thought at first there were rumours about it being London Underground themed; maybe that information came from the train/carriage you'll be sat in at some point? The video where Brown himself is talking it sure looks like a tube train carriage he's in.

Maybe the VR will be something like you think you're looking at the real thing and it falls on screen at the same time as your carriage drops, some sort of thing like that.

Martyn B said:
Who ever said about the carriage "dropping" I bet is spot on. This is just going to be another Sub Terra but ramped up a notch.

I genuinely have no faith in Merlin what so ever.
Ramped up version of Sub Terra? In what way? If you mean by the style of ride, you're way off the mark.

I think people are reading into this a little too much. Read the press release, it's sort of there in black and white... Lol.

How many of these train carriages are there going to be? The carriage holds 60 people, if there's only the one and your inside it for 5 minutes that puts capacity at around 700 an hour which is piss poor.

Got 99 friends? Take the corporate package option!

The theme park’s new ‘Creating a Fearless Workplace’ package offers exclusive access to the new Derren Brown’s Ghost Train, which takes delegates on a 10-15 minute journey with live action sequences, 4D special effects, grand-scale illusions, next-generation technology, and physical transit.

After this, delegates will enjoy a two-course lunch, before an hour-long talk by international keynote speaker Richard Nugent, which will focus on stamping out fear in the workplace and increasing confidence.

Delegates will then have access to the parks rides.

The resort is also launching a new ‘Victorian Ride and Dine’ package featuring the Derren Brown Ghost Train. The package offers parties with a minimum booking of 100 people private access to the theme park for £125 plus VAT per person.

The Victorian dining experience starts at 7pm with a drinks reception, before delegates are granted exclusive access to three rides of the client’s choice, including the new ghost train. Delegates will then enjoy a Victorian-inspired menu created by catering company Vanilla Bean, which includes dishes such as butterfly leg of lamb, mushroom wellington and apple and Earl Grey tea trifle.

http://www.citmagazine.com/article/1382 ... e-packages

^ How is 99 not enough? It has clearly been implied in Robbie's post that 'you' are joining those friends, right?

TilenB said:
^ How is 99 not enough? It has clearly been implied in Robbie's post that 'you' are joining those friends, right?
That was the suggestion, yes!

I am a monumental mong. Apologies. As you were. :drinking:

Jordanovichy said:
I am a monumental mong. Apologies. As you were. :drinking:
Best form of alliteration I have seen in a long time.

I really like this package deal and think it's a great additional revenue - I'm sure the park will sell quite a few of them!

From the perspective of someone who would not ride this, I am concerned by how successfully scary the promotional material is for this attraction.
The ride comes across was unpleasant scary, as opposed to thrilling scary.
Comparing this to Nemesis: Sub Terra. Nemesis had this mystery that was appealing. It was creepy the material, but it was engaging. It drew you in. The Ghost Train, just makes me want to nope away from it. I recall feeling sick after watching the Teaser Youtube video for it.
Even with my knowledge of Darren Brown being a showman and making things look more extreme than they actually end up being.

Then again. I suppose if marketing rides as being very terrifying was a bad thing, theme parks would be much less popular. There are a lot of "You will be doomed" adverts for rides. I am not the target demographic for this anyway, and the promotion just pushes that much more harshly.

I will await the reviews of the ride eagerly. It will be interesting to see how successful a blatant horror theme park attraction will be.

If this is as scary as some people are anticipating it will be, it will be very interesting to ride. Riding dark rides for the first time is often scary anyway, just because you don't know what will happen. With this one being a major ride as well (as opposed to a filler like Sub-Terra), I am really looking forward to finding out more about this ride.