What's new

This is a long shot, but.... (rumoured woodie for Drayton)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: This is a long shot, but....

Martyn B said:
I cant believe all the stick Drayton's getting! Its a great little park, and has come along miles in the last few years. For me, it went from being a proper dump all round, to a great little park, and this year they done even more to spruce it up!
Erm, sorry, Martyn, but are you a mong or something? I've read the topic several times and everybody who has posted is all for this to happen, be it true or not. I can't see any negativity towards DMP in this topic at all. Ok, so nobody is jumping through hoops of fire like they would if Thorpe or Alton were rumoured to be getting a woodie, but nobody is giving DMP "stick".

DMP is a great little park and a woodie would be welcome. That's what I gleam from the discussion so far. Where exactly is the "stick"?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Omg Drayton this is your chance to impress me!
It'll turn one of the weakest parks in the country into one of the best
it would (hopefully) be a really good ride and a great addition to an otherwise awful park

All right, I suppose 'stick' was the wrong word to use, but they're hardly positive comments about the park, are they?

And I guess I am a mong.. I posted that without realising there was a second page! Oops!

TjChapperz

Mega Poster

Like Colin confirmed earlyer this year the next new coaster is in 2013 and will be based for the older market

it will be replacing the buffalo coaster and the entrance will be on the site of the cedar fish and chip shop which is being moved down by the drayton queen for next year

so a wooden coaster for that area i would say is unlikely due to the noise restrictions

the last heard of the coaster was it was a multilaunched racing coaster themed to knex which when asked colin said someone had said something they shouldn't of so it seems that would be the plan but we shouldn't know about it yet

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Urgh, multi-launched Knex coaster? Sounds awfully childish. Unless it's a Chunt... in which case... <3

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Re: This is a long shot, but.... (rumoured woodie for Drayto

I know it's a family park, but Knex? I didn't know that still even existed...

I smell something with THAT rumour...

nadroJ

CF Legend

The Knex thing sounds VERY Draytony, as much as I'd hate to admit it I think it'd fit really well with the entire 'feel' of the park. Meh, as long as it rides well I don't care toooo much what it's themed to.

Nic

Strata Poster

I agree with Jordan in that Knex would fit well at the park. However, I can't really see how that would fit with what Colin said to us at the start of the year. He definitely said that it was going to be a thrill coaster and one "for the big boys". I would definitely see any Knex tie-in as being much more of a larger family coaster (on the same sort of scale as Ben 10 maybe?)

Mind you, having said all of that, Anubis is classed as a family ride. I can easily see something similar to that with cars themed in a way thats reminicent of the original Legoland Jungle Coaster trains. Still fairly thrilling (launched, multiple inversions) yet still classed as a family ride? If that's the case, why continue to tell people that it's going to be an out-and-out thrill machine?

Eugh, I don't know!

STC

Mega Poster

Whaaaaaaaaa...?!?!

How come no-one's even mentioned the second part of Marcus' tweet?!

coastertouring Marcus Gaines
Apparently yesterday Drayton Manor announced plans to build a wooden coaster. That means England will see 3 new woodies in the next 5 years.
10 Oct

Three new woodies?! One for Drayton, one for Flamingoland, one for... Lightwater? Oakwood? Thorpe? This is news to me!

T0M

Hyper Poster

Flamingo Land 2012/2013, Thorpe 2015.......perhaps.

Ben

CF Legend

Flamingo have shown no interest in a Woodie, and Thorpe can't build one because it's on reclaimed land (apparently).

STC

Mega Poster

Ben said:
Flamingo have shown no interest in a Woodie, and Thorpe can't build one because it's on reclaimed land (apparently).
Not recently, but ten years ago they even drew up concept art and a layout from Vekoma!

flamwoodie.png

So where are the other two woodies for the UK going then? Someone on TTF pointed out that one could be the re-opened Margate Scenic Railway (and the third could possibly be King Soloman's Mines). I can kinda see LWV getting a small GCI in 2013, or Oakwood getting something...

Brett7710

Mega Poster

STC said:
Ben said:
Not recently, but ten years ago they even drew up concept art and a layout from Vekoma!

After riding Robin Hood at Walabi World I can't tell you how glad I am that they didn't, although Loup Garou does now run with Millennium Flyers which should have improved comfort.

It would be great to see DM or LWV get a GG or GCI woodie, although almost any new coaster from a good manufacturer would be an improvement on Buffalo.

Nic

Strata Poster

I've always thought that FL was crying out for a woodie. They've got the space (get rid of the couple of flats opposite Zooom!) I really hope the rumours about FL selling Crokscrew because they're desperate for cash aren't true, because if they are then that's not happening any time soon.

A woodie would be excellent at LWV, but I really don't think they're planning on spending that much on new rides any time soon. They're more likely to concentrate on tarting up what they've already got, plus building this holiday village or whatever it is that they keep on about. That said, I think we can probably expect the steady stream of not-quite-terrible-but-definitely-not-amazing 2nd hand rides to continue.

Thorpe won't get a woodie. Whatever they say about the land, it just doesn't make business sense to get one. Idiotic chavs would see a woodie as being dull, boring and old fashioned, so they wouldn't get one (although, obviously, I'd LOVE to be proved wrong on that one!) If Merlin ever get one, it'll be at Alton... although that'll never happen because of planning/preservation laws. A modern woodie would be amazing at Chessie (Joris & Draak has a height limit of just 1.10m in some seats, 1.2m elsewhere) but where would it go, and anyway, they'll never be given the budget.

I would love Drayton to get a woodie, but I can't really see it happening. Not any time soon, anyway. In some ways I think it'd fit well at the park, and in other ways I don't. Actually, I'm a bit undecided on that one tbh. Either way, Buffalo needs to die.

Apart from those, where else might we get one? Note the tweet said England, not the UK, so that rules out a 2nd woodie at Oakwood (though I can't ever possibly imagine that anyway). First possible park that springs to mind is Paultons. As mentioned before, some of the new woodies have tiny height limits, so it could fit with their existing rides. They've blatantly been raking it in this year with PPW, so in 2 or 3 years time, will probably have the cash to make such a big investment. The only trouble might be the planning regs. The areas with the most space are the ones with the tightest controls (see the appeal that nearly saw Cobra and T'Edge dismantled). Would they have enough room anywhere else in the park? That said, there's plenty of things there that are looking a bit tired, and I'd happily remove for a Troy clone... Mind you, I'd happily remove one of my own limbs to have a Troy clone that close to home!!!

Failing that, how are Pleasurewood Hills doing for cash these days?! hahaha

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Troy clone? If anything, something on a Wooden Warrior scale would fit better for Paulton's...
http://rcdb.com/m/4495.htm?p=35581

Anyway, I think this rumour is going one way for certain: lots and lots of bashing. If the rumours happen to be true, the ride would be compared to every single woodie on the continent and completely scolded for not being as tall as Colossos, not having as much airtime as Balder, not being as twisty as Troy, etc, etc and there will be "1000s of better woodies out there this sux", no matter how good it is. Then somebody will mention the words "good for the UK", and then the ball will really start to roll...
If the rumours aren't true, people will look otherwise for somebody to blame, or just gloat ("haha did you really not see this coming, stupids cling to every rumour they see etc".

Enthusiasts: never happy.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I purposely cut that tweet short because I thought it would make the whole thing sound like a joke.

IF it is true, the other 2 could well be the re-opening of the Scenic Railway and King Solomons Mine at Margate....

Patrick

Hyper Poster

Can't see this happening. Not convinced that DMP have the space/money for a decent sized woodie, if they get a coaster in 2013 I can see it being something like a Gerstlauer Launch (Although if it's anything like Anubis then I'll be bloody pleased)

Intricks

Strata Poster

Like I mentioned earlier, if the size of the footprint is an issue due to low amount of space, than a Gravity Group coaster WOULD be the way to go. Just look at Twister at Grona Lund.

Not sure why I'm really bothering with the topic as I'll most likely never get over there again anytime soon lol.

STC

Mega Poster

Nic said:
Apart from those, where else might we get one? Note the tweet said England, not the UK, so that rules out a 2nd woodie at Oakwood (though I can't ever possibly imagine that anyway). First possible park that springs to mind is Paultons. As mentioned before, some of the new woodies have tiny height limits, so it could fit with their existing rides. They've blatantly been raking it in this year with PPW, so in 2 or 3 years time, will probably have the cash to make such a big investment. The only trouble might be the planning regs. The areas with the most space are the ones with the tightest controls (see the appeal that nearly saw Cobra and T'Edge dismantled). Would they have enough room anywhere else in the park? That said, there's plenty of things there that are looking a bit tired, and I'd happily remove for a Troy clone... Mind you, I'd happily remove one of my own limbs to have a Troy clone that close to home!!!
I think the "England" comment could be likely be just the usual interchanging of "UK" with "England". I doubt we'll see a woodie outside England however.

I think you bring up an interesting point with Paultons. Tripsdrill in Germany is also a park that started with a Gerstlauer Bobsled and then later added a medium-scale woodie. Could Paultons be heading down the same route? Djurs Sommerland also went from a Gerstlauer Bob to adding bigger fare.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The Gravity Group seemed very enthusiastic when discussing Blackpool at EAS...

If there are three woodies on their way, I'd rule out the Merlin parks. Although I could see a woodie sitting quite happily at Legoland.

I have no idea what the three woodies are, but I'm hedging my bets on the dedicated family parks such as Paultons, Gullivers Milton Keynes and Drayton.

I hope there is some meat in this rumour sandwich.