What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^^^^Hey, that mine train looks like it gives air! http://www.rcdb.com/1457.htm?p=4260 I like the look of the drop...

UC said:
1. The fountain one was not necessary. In no way was it necessary to say that you're looking forward to a fountain.

I look forward to a fountain every morning :wink: just after i've looked at some 'business' on the internetz.

Am I right in saying that the reason the train goes faster laden is because it has more potential energy at the top? So then I'm guessing the extra friction doesn't play much of a role in slowing the train.

EDIT: And after reading UC's post above me, I'd like to mention that XNWO has pretty much the same restraints as 13 also :p

Jools

Giga Poster
UC said:
Ouch, well the fountain one was neccacary, and the hence was a minor spellign mistake that I thought no one would really care about, I just like having fun on this forum, if that's against the rules then why does everyone else get to have fun and not me, and if it isn't, then it should be added as all these gramma nazis and wannabe mods sure make this place hell sometimes.

1. The fountain one was not necessary. In no way was it necessary to say that you're looking forward to a fountain.

At least, no more so than me reminding everyone that Thirteen isn't a thrill ride, it's a Psychoaster!

Are we seeing the hypocrisy yet? Or should I put it in to a few mis-spelled sentences that you can sound out nice and slow?

2. If you wouldn't insist on being a complete hypocrite with regards to posting styles (especially since it's well established that I'm quite knowledgeable and can more than pull my weight with regards to a conversation regarding the industry or associated technology), I wouldn't decide to rip apart every little mistake you make.

Of course, given the way you basically demonstrated your penchant for being a hypocrite a mere post after criticizing me, I'm not entirely sure it was necessary.

But no matter what said or done, there is nothing you can do to make me hate CF, It's definatly the best forum about, only sometimes I feel people are pissed off by post counts like it is a race to see who can post the most, which I really couldn't care less about personally.

What exactly is your point? Speaking of unnecessary...

So, moving on, I'd like to point out that the speed variation in the trains due to weight doesn't really suggest anything with regards to airtime. Not that I think this thing will have ejector, but the slowdown at the top isn't worth as much as the speed the train takes the hill at. As long as it crests at a decent speed, you'll feel something - I just don't see it being anything other than a bit of a pop, given that the ride really doesn't seem to have any kind of overly significant restraint.

Don't care.

Anyway, I'm glad it has the individual lapbar, because like I said, if it didn't it would make the airtime hills (if it DOES manage to give us some) so uncomfortable, plus they look better, even in the eye of the general public they make the ride look more thrilling, like as soon as you see one like on a typical family coaster "Kiddy ride" screams at you.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I very much doubt it will have anything more than a brief floater over the hills, no matter how quickly it goes over them. Most of the hills are way too flat to be able to perform major airtime. If anything, the hills look more like speed hills than air hills.

Just something I've noticed...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
This ride isn't about the airtime anyways, so why we're focusing on that aspect god knows...

In order to actually keep stuff going onto the actual ride, I'll put my pics from Wednesday here...

21950_482130700219_558160219_11059839_5444604_n.jpg

21950_482130710219_558160219_11059840_2299324_n.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend
I hope them fake speakers will eventually disappear!

Also, is there anyway we can tell yet if there will be seat belts?

For the ride to be as thrilling as Alton are claiming, the indoor section must surely have to be pretty intense, I always got the impression that there would be sharp drops inside (Dont know why, I just did). But oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
For the ride to be as thrilling as Alton are claiming, the indoor section must surely have to be pretty intense, I always got the impression that there would be sharp drops inside (Dont know why, I just did). But oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I might've made that statement too, before reading UC's posts. But what's been already said a couple times is that basically most (not all) but most of the GP are pretty damn thick. If Alton says it's intense and it's themed to something any more sinister than caterpillars, it's blow-your-mind scary. :p

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah I know what you're saying, but when parks say things like that, the ride tends to have something to back the claim up, like high speed, launch, or inversions, but this, at the moment, has nothing to it to make it a 'thrill' coaster.

From what we can see so far, this is no more thrilling than the Runaway Mine train, and thats plugged as a kiddie/family ride.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
THE PARK'S AD CAMPAIGN IS AIMED AT THEIR MAIN AUDIENCE, WHICH IS THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND NOT US!

Hence forth, they can say that this will be the 'ultimate' roller-coaster, and the GP will lap it up as they seem to be doing on Facebook and what-not...

FFS... They're plugging the theme to be the more terrifying bit more than the ride anyways, and focusing on the world's first section... None of the ads seem to be going 'LOOK, WE HAVE HILLS!'...

This ride will not be intense by any stretch of the imagination... A family based ride for a family park which has a dark theme... Quicker people stop thinking/wishing/hoping it will be intense the better... I see the indoor section being slow and not quick...

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
JOOLS & UC STOP NOW YOU'RE ACTING LIKE KIDS FFS! Jesus someone had to say it.

Wow, looks like the ride is just about good to go, definatly looks more thrilling then I imagined, the speed does look good, I'm going to pray we get airtime, or atleast the sensation The Ultimate gives you on the turns, because that is ace!

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
This ride will not be intense by any stretch of the imagination... A family based ride for a family park which has a dark theme... Quicker people stop thinking/wishing/hoping it will be intense the better... I see the indoor section being slow and not quick...

Exactly.

This is nothing but a family based ride,I really can't see anything about this being too extreme at all.

And all this talk about airtime,what are people expecting,major ejector?

This may deliver the odd pop of airtime,and hopefully it does,but beyond that,forget it.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Alright, get back in topic now. No need to prolong arguments if they can end themselves naturally. If you want to say more, then do it on PMs. I'll delete further posts if they aren't on topic.

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
...do you really want to play this game with me?

Surely that's for the SAW topic? ;)

A bit disappointed with this now after yesterday, we saw it testing and it just upset beyond all belief! I don't ACTUALLY know what those hills are for - because it certainly isn't airtime OR speed!

It just sort of crawled around the track - big let down :(

On the other hand - it does look pretty :lol:

Kebab

Giga Poster
I think it's more what's inside that counts, the outdoor segment is just an additional part of the ride. It's a very gimmicky rollercoaster, taking on a brand new type of product, Psychoaster; it's going to have some mind-churning illusions through the indoor segments.

It's like adding more of a layout to Oblivion; when it's not really intended because the gimmick "drop" is the main attraction.

Personally I'm not exactly that excited about Thirteen, it's Alton Towers, and they're over publicizing a mediocre family rollercoaster; I'd understand if it's a B&M, or something more thrilling, but all this with Alex Reid and what-not is taking the mickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.