What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Yeah it's fenced off before Rita's Bar and Grill and before you can reach the cable car fence by the toilets. I saw the Rita station which looked great but no re-painting of Rita as of yet. There were no signs as to what it would be called, but the UgLand sign was down, and there were two statues at each side of where the sign was, like those in the plans for the Thirteen station and those pictured by Rita, if you know which ones I mean.

I watched it test a few times. It IS quick over the first hill over the track.

The entire ride is just over a minute from top of the drop to the switchback into the station.

It's in the building for roughly 20 seconds or so, but that MIGHT include the backwards section. You couldn't see a great deal.

The entrance to old Ugland looks quite bleak, and the retheme is looking good overall. Lots of fences and planking to stop you getting a decent look.

Photos?
23502_1319728306954_1043162436_972003_6933928_n.jpg

This is just off the left of Rita's Bar and Grill. I remember exploring this area with Joey. It wasn't ruined like this, but I can't quite remember if the wall was intact or not. Anyone? I don't know if this is theming or a dumping ground.

23502_1319728346955_1043162436_972004_4039111_n.jpg

This is the view across the Rita brake run at the main view of the new ride station. This is where "the magic" happens. The scaffolding is part of the theming and there will be canvas sheets over it to cover the ugly tin... Allegedly ;)
The wooden ramp at the bottom of the Skyride covers most of the new land and Rita's station from view.

23502_1319728386956_1043162436_972005_7744289_n.jpg

The new entrance to "Ugland". You can see the statue pillars at either side. It looks like the area will have a kind of cemetery feel. Again, the station building is due to be covered from this view with canvas sheets.

23502_1319728426957_1043162436_972006_1841752_n.jpg

New Skyride station. Erm, not on topic and looks just like the old one :p

23502_1319728466958_1043162436_972007_1936114_n.jpg

In best conspiracy theory fashion. This is clearly a picture of the train with water dummies going over the hill over the main drop ;)

It looks, erm, like a glorified kiddie coaster :) :p

^I was trying to get that picture but with a blurry phone camera with a delay it was quite hard haha. Nice photos though! When we were watching it there my cousin said something like "it's just a glorified kiddie coaster" and this other guy came watching and laughed and started talking about it. We later saw him giving directions to people at a fasttrack booth, it was quite funny.

Well, the trains certainly look pretty ugly in motion, but at least it's running! Fast lift hill too, doesn't seem like it will disrupt the ride at all.

Yeah, I think that the "second lift" are nothing more than kickers to make sure it gets into the station okay. The actual lift is about Spinball fast too.

It's in the building for roughly 20 seconds or so, but that MIGHT include the backwards section. You couldn't see a great deal.

Geez, thats not long at all! I imagined that there would be some kind of 'story telling' then drops etc ala Tower of Terror, but obviously not if its that short! But then, would they bother with 'story telling' if they're just testing the actual coaster?

20 seconds is quite long! I mean rita is about 27 seconds, and Nemesis is about 40 seconds (not including lift)

a 20 second chunk is quite a long time, even compared to the Expedition Everest switchbacks. If anything, it will ruin the flow of the ride.

Any "story telling" will probably be an extension of the queue, if anything.

Any "story telling" will probably be an extension of the queue, if anything.

Well I was kind of hoping it would be more than just a drop inside. I dont know why, I just had this feeling it was going to smilar to ToT's; a bit of story telling, then a sudden drop etc.

Just have to wait and see...

Well as it is only early in testing and construction is still on going, I don't think the show scene will be operating and the ride will just be operating on manual mode while they just get it working and ran in.

^ this is very true. But at the same time, they are gonna want to keep it as short as possible in there to improve the capacity.

I've seen exactly what the layout is for this ride and to me it looks pretty uninspired.

I'm really not expecting much in the way of thrills on this thing.

UC said:
Except when you think to the fact this is essentially a big mine train, and the restraints aren't built to handle any kind of real air.

Kingda Ka crests its hill quickly too. Doesn't really mean anything, and having seen the trains on this thing...I think we all have an idea of what to expect.

Could not agree more.

I don't think anyone is expecting ejector airtime on this.. It's just nice that the ride has some pace to it instead of crawling around.

^ Exactly. My comment wasn't about air time anyway, it was more aimed to the pacing side of things, as thats one of my prefference's with coasters.

Like Ed said, rather it crested the hills with pace, than a slow, dull crawl, air time or not.

Quick off topic question, does Ka's hill not have air?

Some people are expecting air time and ejector time.

As well as Ed and Martyn I am also happy that it's not crawling over the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.