What's new

Theme park books; read anything good lately?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. We already have threads for theme park documentaries and theme park TV, but a lesser covered element of theme park media is theme park books. So I thought I’d start a thread to talk about theme park books, and some of our favourite theme park related reads. I don’t know if we have many bookworms on here, but I certainly enjoy a good read, so I thought this might be a nice thread to make!

In terms of what I’ve been reading; I recently finished Theme Park Design by David Younger, and I have to say it was brilliant! It is quite technical, and set out almost like a textbook, with over 500 large (larger than your usual paperback/hardback) pages, so it’s perhaps not for the faint hearted, but if you have even the vaguest interest in how theme parks and attractions are designed, then it’s a terrific read. I can almost guarantee that you’ll learn plenty of things you never knew about before reading; I know I certainly did!

But I’d be keen to know; have you read any good theme park books lately?

andrus

Giga Poster
Hi guys. We already have threads for theme park documentaries and theme park TV, but a lesser covered element of theme park media is theme park books. So I thought I’d start a thread to talk about theme park books, and some of our favourite theme park related reads. I don’t know if we have many bookworms on here, but I certainly enjoy a good read, so I thought this might be a nice thread to make!

In terms of what I’ve been reading; I recently finished Theme Park Design by David Younger, and I have to say it was brilliant! It is quite technical, and set out almost like a textbook, with over 500 large (larger than your usual paperback/hardback) pages, so it’s perhaps not for the faint hearted, but if you have even the vaguest interest in how theme parks and attractions are designed, then it’s a terrific read. I can almost guarantee that you’ll learn plenty of things you never knew about before reading; I know I certainly did!

But I’d be keen to know; have you read any good theme park books lately?
Great topic! I always enjoy a good read :)

Good tip with David Younger. Haven't heard of. Will have to look that one up 👍

On a similar note Salvador Anton Clavé has written the all-embracing Global Theme Park Industry. As a researcher at the Univesity of Tarragona (next door to Port Aventura) Clavé has spent a lot of his years on research of the theme park industry. You can see the book as a sort of summary of his research, and hence the book is quite technical. With its' all-embracing format the Global Theme Park industry discuss everything from management and economy to history and the design of theme parks. Also a favourite of mine, that a lot will be familiar with, is the biography of John Wardley: Creating my own Nemesis. A short but sweet book. It is a biography but Wardly also discuss the parameters of ride design. And it is always interesting to learn more of a legend in the industry as John Wardley is.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
I don't have a lot of themepark related books.
But the ones I have are a good read.

* Made By Mack
About the history of Mack Rides and Europa Park
* PortAventura 1995-2012: The Story of an Amazing Journey
About the first 17 years of the park, from the dream, development and construction of the park, till the opening of Shambhala

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
Not a recent read but I remember my dad brought home a small book documenting the history of Willow Grove Park. It was one of the early ‘trolley parks’ that were once quite common to the area and it was located down the road from my childhood home. Lots of excellent pictures of the place I only ever knew as a large shopping mall.

Attachments

• 6AAC192A-C912-431B-81DB-77492F65A94C.jpeg
    6AAC192A-C912-431B-81DB-77492F65A94C.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 9