What's new

The Maccy D's Thread.

Snoo

The Legend
You guys REALLY need a Wendy's over there. While I may be partial (as I do work for them), their food quality is far superior than McDonalds and BK. And given what I tasted when I was in Europe, that somehow got WORSE when comparing the major quick service restaurants here in the States (I didn't think that was possible).

All that being said, if I'm truly in a pinch and will die a painful death upon a spike of childs tears if I must choose, it would just be a Whopper.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Yeah, Wendy's is far superior to McDonalds or BK. However, Five Guys is the best fast food place of them all.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Loved Wendy's when I was in the US. But then again Mcdonalds was so much better out there too. In the UK, I obviously stick with Mcd's just because their BBQ Chicken BLC is amazing and really cheap (£3.49 for a meal..? Hell yeah!) but I actually prefer Burger King beef burgers. Mcdonald's beef is terrible, even if overall they have the better menu.

Snoo

The Legend
^I was truly shocked at how BAD things were when I went fast food in Europe. Of course, we're a bit spoiled with all the **** we have here.. especially when its really just all bad for you. The good thing was for the most part, outside of train stations, we kept to the local joints with local food as I had enough McDonalds and BK for a lifetime over here.

^Yeah, Wendy's is far superior to McDonalds or BK. However, Five Guys is the best fast food place of them all.

Good man. :D

I do think Five Guys is a great burger but their fries are by FAR my favorite I've ever had. Other places do have better burgers but their fries are unrivaled IMO. I will also note that In and Out is vastly overrated but still a great burger. I'd say it's a lot like Boulder Dash for some people.

punks

Roller Poster
Double cheeseburger is the quintessential, no one can tell me different and for that price? Fuh-get-about-it!

Also, America's efforts pale in comparison to the quality of british beef in our outlets.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster

You see what puts me off five guys is the price! It's not that I doubt it's worth it. It's that everything else will fail in comparison after it, so much like Starbucks it will become an expensive habit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
You guys REALLY need a Wendy's over there. While I may be partial (as I do work for them), their food quality is far superior than McDonalds and BK. And given what I tasted when I was in Europe, that somehow got WORSE when comparing the major quick service restaurants here in the States (I didn't think that was possible).

All that being said, if I'm truly in a pinch and will die a painful death upon a spike of childs tears if I must choose, it would just be a Whopper.

Agreed, Wendy's is boss! Double Baconator - awesome.
We used to have Wendy's in the UK, most major towns and cities had at least one, but Maccy D's pretty much cornered the market here and Wendy's pulled out of the UK completely about 10 years ago.
Twas a sad day. :-(

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
We definitely did used to have Wendy's. There was one in Leicester Sq. They left for good in 2000 apparently. https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/28286/wendy39s-uk-pull-out-nets-1631.5m

The difference between the same chain in the USA and UK is so vast it's pointless to want a chain to come here. It won't be the same, not when it's something like Wendy's where it's a flavour thing more than a concept. Nando's can be found stateside now and whilst it is definitely different, the concept is what they brought. So that makes sense. Wendy's is just another McD's style restaurant and would be as different from it's US counterpart as McD's is. So what's the point?

Krispy Kreme is way better in the UK, for example. Well, aside from the cost. But here we have real variety, something that's just not a thing in the US outside of specials.

I wish we had Arby's in the UK. I think that would go down well. We lack anything comparable.

Reactions: Dar

nadroJ

CF Legend
Whoever said Five Guys is good...love yourself. £24 for burger and chips, **** off!

And sorry Snoo, Maccy's in the UK and Europe is AMAZING compared to the sloppy greasy **** served up stateside. Also, call that an Apple Pie?? For shame.

peep

CF Legend
Whoever said Five Guys is good...love yourself. £24 for burger and chips
That's a tad OTT. They are pricey, but no more than the other billion burger joints everywhere.

I really enjoy Five Guys, they have decent milkshakes too but I'd place them in a higher tier to say BK, KFC and McDs.

I'm sure I tried a Wendys in the US and wasn't that satisfied?

There's a McDonalds in London that's been testing a trio of burgers that are more like the beefier ones you'll find at places like Honest Burger, Great Burger Kitchen etc. They're ok, certainly more for your money compared to the others. I do wonder if they'll expand this range to other branches.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I like Five Guys a lot. But yeah, **** paying for it. It's even pricey in the USA!

Steak n shake is where it's aaaat.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Snoo

The Legend
Whoever said Five Guys is good...love yourself. £24 for burger and chips, :emoji_zipper_mouth: off!

And sorry Snoo, Maccy's in the UK and Europe is AMAZING compared to the sloppy greasy :emoji_poop: served up stateside. Also, call that an Apple Pie?? For shame.

It was so flavorless! I'm not saying it's any good over here in the states either as I definitely dislike both and VERY rarely visit for food.. even moreso as I work for and do enjoy my company who offers more high quality food for the same prices (I mean.. no plug at all.. :D).

nadroJ

CF Legend
Steak 'n Shake is faaaab! Also Patty and Bun

And Peep, that's genuinely how much it costs if Conor and I get a meal there. That's not OK for what is essentially just one step up from a Maccy's.

Things like GBK etc I feel can charge a bit more because it is more like a sit down restaurant. Five Guys goes out of its way for that fast food joint vibe making the price seem way out of proportion by comparison.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Here's a question - has anyone been to a Wimpy in the last 10 years?

I have. The one that was at Camelot.

Actually that may have been more than 10 years ago... When was that CF-Live?

airtime_uk_ash

Mega Poster
Here's a question - has anyone been to a Wimpy in the last 10 years?

I have. The one that was at Camelot.

Actually that may have been more than 10 years ago... When was that CF-Live?

I went in a wimpy in what seemed like an abandoned shopping centre in Nottingham a few weeks back, it was tasty but expensive

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
We go to the Stafford one a couple of times a year. It's out in the sticks though, so not somewhere I think about.

I like it

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Smithy

Strata Poster
I went in a wimpy in what seemed like an abandoned shopping centre in Nottingham a few weeks back, it was tasty but expensive

Aye we went there last year specifically to try a Wimpy. Was quite impressed with the burger actually for what it was. Entire place was a ****ing run down **** hole though.

Five Guys is alright, £12 each when we go there (small burger or a cheese dog, can share fries as their portions are enormous and then just get the refillable drinks), it's just always so ****ing noisy and packed and not worth the hassle.

Shake shack is a ****ing rip off.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Is Five Guys the one that cooks everything in peanut oil, rendering it inedible, or am I thinking of something else?

Wendy's? Whatever really. Tried it a couple of times. It was fine, but don't remember it being vastly superior to any other basic chains.

Have to agree that the UK/European places are better. It'll mostly be down to what you're used to, but we actually have stronger regulations when it comes to what they can actually put in their "food", so whether you prefer the taste or not, you're getting a better product.

Gazza

Giga Poster
What's your favourite burger?
Aussie Angus:
MCD5536-OlympicsAngus-T4a-Content-AUSSIE-ANGUS-N-EGG_1.jpg

But it would be better if it had pineapple.

Have you ever worked there?
For four years during secondary school. They were a good place to work because they paid $9/h whilst other places tended to pay youth around $6/h

Maccy D's vs BK?
McDonalds.
BK trade under the name Hungry Jacks in Australia, and I don't think their food is as good.

Big Mac vs Quarter Pounder?
Quarter Pounder

Ketchup vs BBQ vs mayo?
Ketchup, but normally prefer Sweet Chilli or Sweet n Sour

Should the Big Tasty be a permanent menu item?
Yes.

Thoughts on the McRib?
It turned up for about 2 weeks at the "Atlanta McRib" during the Beijin Olympics promotion. It was ok, but pretty bland.

Review the latest 'burger of the month' specials here.

Errrm, we have no promo burger at the moment. They've just added haloumi as an option in lieu of meat on the Create your Taste menu though.

Have you ever had a Mc10.35? (Go ahead, ask me what a Mc10.35 is :) )
No

What about Maccy D's around the globe? What weird and wonderful menu items have you discovered at restaurants in foreign lands? In Egypt once, I had a Chicken Big Mac - yes, a Chicken Big Mac!! Crazy.
The Chicken flatbread in the emirates is nice, as are the iced milo and Teppanyaki Chicken in Singapore.

Who remembers the Root Beer?
Never sold here.

You see? That's why I didn't create a poll. So much fun stuff to talk about!

Go ahead, share all of your funny Maccy D's stories right here....