What's new

The Games we play...

Pierre

Strata Poster
^ I was impressed at the TV stuff but I always think the same... 'how does that work?'

They demonstrated the Fantasy Team link with ESPN/NBA which is pretty cool, but over here they'd need to demonstrate that with the Premier League which is obviously the market over here. Sky Sports has the majority of rights so they'd need to work with them on developing an app or an agreement between the two companies? But then there's BT Sport who have just took over some rights with top pick games and are currently deploying a foot in the market strategy, would this be another thing to swing more customers or would they want to steady themselves before pissing about with Xbox?

When the guy demonstrated it he mentioned it showed his local channels because he's from a certain area - again how did that work?

I've got a feeling their 'all in one' Xbox One doesn't just mean entertainment, it means all your subscriptions and therfore, cash, going to Microsoft.

It's impressive how it works, but I'm dubious at the set-up and cost and how well it will be applied to other markets than US.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Update.

The TV and sports thing is "initially US only, with 'plans to roll out across the world at a later date'". Which means probably never.

It also requires a separate cable box "at the moment". So it's already limited, but looks like they're likely to add additional hardware so they can become subscription partners in the future. It could also have been tied in with Microsoft Media Centre stuff to get his local channels broadcast from his home area through a streamed service.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
So unless virgin, bt and sky do a deal with them it's simply going to be free view only in the UK.

Nah, it will only work with limited Freeview boxes that are compatible - when/if they're built.

The Virgin/BT/Sky thing will happen as and when they make new boxes that will work with it - or if they broker a deal with them to allow them to air over the XBone.

Youngster Joey said:
Sony's stock went up 9% after Microsoft's conference

Gamestop's stock really DID drop after MS announced their "pay full price for a second hand game" system :lol:

Though nobody is clear yet how that is going work...

Intricks

Strata Poster
You will most likely have to go a PC route and buy an activation code. It seriously wouldnt surprise me if all new xBox Games in general start coming with them.

Now, if cost of games drop down to under 50, then there shouldnt be too large of a clash from their core consumer; however, if the prices for a new game goes up to anything abover 60, they may very well just bomb it all.

Something of note that I found VERY interesting during the reveal: They really focused on the social media and non gaming aspects of the console with a little tidbit of games added in at the end. It worries me that they may be pusbing this as this all in one box you MUST have, that also plays video games if youre into that kind of thing.

marc

CF Legend
Tbh Microsoft as a whole are pushing down the route of social media to try and sell their phones.

They are going for the whole by windows 8 and it will work with this and this and this. Problem is windows 8 is rubbish.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Intricks said:
You will most likely have to go a PC route and buy an activation code. It seriously wouldnt surprise me if all new xBox Games in general start coming with them.

Now, if cost of games drop down to under 50, then there shouldnt be too large of a clash from their core consumer; however, if the prices for a new game goes up to anything abover 60, they may very well just bomb it all.

Update of sorts. It looks like MS are working on a system where when a code/disc is reused, the original account the code/disc was attached to loses the ability to play the game any more.

There is talk of putting codes/discs into an MS system at retail, but MS honestly don't seem to have a clue at the moment what their plan is. I think they're simply looking at the backlash and then making a decision. I don't think it's anything worth worrying about.

It's been officially announced the games will be region locked though - so no Japanese imports... Not that it ever happened anyway :p

Intricks said:
Something of note that I found VERY interesting during the reveal: They really focused on the social media and non gaming aspects of the console with a little tidbit of games added in at the end. It worries me that they may be pusbing this as this all in one box you MUST have, that also plays video games if youre into that kind of thing.

MS have E3 up their sleeves for game announcements. Personally, I think they wasted their reveal event with complete tosh that was severely underwhelming and insignificant to the gamer. However, I think they'll be huge at E3 with some big announcements and a real push for gamers.

Sadly, they're screwing over indies again. So Sony win the "small, cheap **** " round :lol:

marc said:
Tbh Microsoft as a whole are pushing down the route of social media to try and sell their phones.

They are going for the whole by windows 8 and it will work with this and this and this. Problem is windows 8 is rubbish.

Sony are doing the exact same thing though, all the new PS4 features revolve around social media. That and the fact they're making it easy for new, small and indie devs to produce games, particularly through the Sony Mobile system - their crap take on iTunes and Play Store - exactly the same mistake MS are making pushing the Windows 8 route. To be honest, MS should have just rebranded a gaming PC and sold it as the new XBox - cut out all the bull AND given people the option of Steam ;)

Nemesis of oblivion said:
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is now working on my computer again. Coaster geek time!

Something worth celebrating in the last week has happened in the gaming world then :)

Jer

Strata Poster
After finally finishing it I suppose I can give my best at a review of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This game, if you were not aware, is completely over the top. Nothing about the game is sane, or even cohesive. But thats what makes it great, the horrible cheesy story, the over the top attitude, the amazingly 80s feel. It's so much fun, and thats not something you get from modern games often, just pure fun. The last level, not spoiling anything but it's similar to the last level in Half Life 2 with the blue gravity gun, where you just wreck. It is however not without faults, but you can chalk them up to "What did you expect for $15" The graphics of the game while excellent most of the time, can be questionable at the times, the draw distance is similar to an old PC game, so much fog. Also the story is basically non-existent, with only 7 short story missions there isn't much game to be had, But what there was, was enjoyable. Finally, my biggest gripe, and one I've noticed is common in modern gaming, once you 100% the game (which is fairly easy to do) there isn't much left to do, I mean Forza Horizon was bad, but at least it could still be played, this there is absolutely nothing, you have this huge open world, and the enemies are rare, and when you do find them, it's rarely more than 2, already fighting allies, which means they will be alive when you reach them, if you're lucky.

Overall I'd give the game an 8/10. It's over the top, funny, fun, but short. It's worth the cheap price, but be aware you get what you pay for.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Nemesis of oblivion said:
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is now working on my computer again. Coaster geek time!
My computer just broke. I lost all my awesome RCT3 parks :cry: .

My fav game is and will always be Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64.

It is probably just Nostalgia, but it holds up very well to this day. The controls are very good. With friends, this game can be even more fun. I would give it a play.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jer: I thought it looked like good fun, but it's the kind of game I don't really like anyway. If they give it away free on PS+, I'll play it to complete it. Otherwise, I'll give it a miss.

Speaking of PS+, I completed Hitman Absolution earlier in the week. It was fun enough, with some decent enough cut scenes. Gratuitously killing people and stealing their clothes doesn't really get old - but a lot of the levels were just really bland and dull. It was more of a 3rd person shooter than the original game of pure stealth and escape - it felt it had got lost somewhere (I only played the original and this one, so I don't know where).

The biggest issue is how stupid the AI are. I know it has to be forgiving to a degree, but at times you can murder somebody behind their partners back and get away with it, donning their clothes and you're not made. Then other times, you hide in a building, take somebody out at 300 yards with a sniper rifle and your cover is blown and you're hunted down like a dog. When the mechanics worked, it was good - when they failed, it was awful.

It was full of inconsistencies too. It would recommend killing somebody by "setting up an accident". you got loads of points for doing it, great. However, often the accident would kill innocent people (it's the way the game set it up) and then you'd lose loads of points for "non-target kills". If you're going to create an accident environment to reward players, then don't also punish them for doing it too.

Plus, it was far too easy to complete a level by just donning a disguise and walking through the places. Yet to sneak would have been almost impossible (unless you made non-target kills again). So your scores at the punish you for doing it with real stealth, and reward you for being lazy.

Stupid game, but lots of fun at times :)

Jer

Strata Poster
Yeah Furie, I didnt mention how short it was, it look me 7hrs to 100% the game, thats it.

And the draw distances look like this at time.

IQn11a8.jpg

That mountain is not a background item, it's an actual mountain I should add.

I don't mean to turn you or anyone else off to the game, it's a blast, it's just, a $15 game, you get a $15 game.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Game length isn't an issue for me. I rarely spend more than four or five hours a week in front of either the PS3 or 360. A 7 hour game is two weeks for me :lol:

Any longer, and it never gets played properly. That's why the PS+ service suits me so well. Demon Souls though, eugh.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
I bought the ICO & Shadow Of The Colossus collection and have now completed ICO twice its just that beautiful.

Its quite short but if it was any longer it would ruin the perfect atmosphere the game has, Yordas AI lets the game down slightly, and the fight just before the queen, but everything is worth it to witness the end of the game. Now ive experienced it... Its platinum time! Completing it in under 2 hours will be a challenge...

Cant wait to start SOTC however.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I started SOTC last week... OMG it's such a chore. It's still breath taking, but I'd forgotten how difficult the game is to control. It's really finicky ans awkward.

Still glorious though :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Puppeteer from Sony looks absolutely stunning:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlEhkhDxKg[/youtube]

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff Nintendo should be showing off - it's their bread and butter. Instead, they release the same old same old while being left behind.

rain also looks lovely. I love the concept, design and idea:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvgadIxmPqk[/youtube]

So much PS3 stuff and we'll not see any next next gen stuff until next week.

Intricks

Strata Poster
So, a reddit user decided to make a mock-up of what the PS4 may look like based on the teaser vid Sony released:

RaWUvmQ-600x428.jpg

It looks far better than the black box of Microsoft imo. Guess we will find out tomorrow (isnt sony doing their big spiel tomorrow instead of today?).

In other news, which handheld has more omph to it currently? I plan on getting both eventually (since I loves me my pokemans), but Ive just been stumped on which to go after first. Is the 3DS region locked finally, or can I buy japanese games and play them on any 3DS?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Handhelds? The 3DS is the long term bet. It IS region locked though (but it will play pretty much any region DS game).

It's taking a while to gather momentum, but I think it's finally hit that point where it will be the replacement of choice for every DS owner. The new Pokemon game will be the big seller this year and really increase the sales of the thing, so we'll soon see more games. Though how good they will be, I don't know. So far, the 3DS games have been a real mixed bag and very few and far between.

The Vita has nothing coming out on cartridge, it's almost entirely digital download. There's a good range of quirky titles about, plus a lot of PS1 and PSP games. The stuff is expensive though and is often just a "portable version of a PS3 game". There are a few decent games, but again, very few and far between.

There are also a few copies of popular iGames available for it. It's a gorgeous bit of technology and the PS4 may help it, but I'd go for the 3DS for the moment.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Faith in Square Enix has officially restored.

Actually, simply put...Sony just took one massive **** all over Microsoft just now. They showcased what all they plan to bring non gaming wise in roughly 30 minutes, and then the rest was all about the video games. The PS4 looks fab and not just a giant VCR. So much awesome was announced as well to even keep up with. Square Enix announced Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy versus XIII is now Final Fantasy XV.

Plus, it will be 399 in the US, and 349 where most of you live.