What's new

The Games we play...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm still an Xbox man through and through, tired of people **** on it just to **** on it. It's like people were looking for a reason to hate it. You can share games with up to ten people, yet NOBODY SEEMS TO MENTION that because it isn't NO DRM NO SHARING GAMES GARH!! Yes, the price is high, but anyone who gets it in year one isn't smart since there aren't many exclusive titles. I'll be getting mine when Halo 5 comes out, or Madden 15/26 whichever way they go about numbering from now on. I'll still be able to get BF4, Madden 25, CoD Golden Retriever for 360 since no releases are next gen exclusive it seems until next year. Titanfall looks pretty good too.

Everyone has always loved to **** on Microsoft, it's not a change.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
You do realise I was joking when I said that one right? :lol:

Yes :lol:

Nemesis Inferno said:
Whilst there are games that I will buy from that Direct, there were no games that made me really stand up and take full on notice, or any that screamed out that they could save the console...
It doesn't look great... Although at least the 3DS seems pretty solid atm...

Yeah, they need to be getting a line up of games to make people want to buy the consoles, not just the games. We'll see, but I think Nintendo are deep in the mire. The 3DS will do well enough in the end I think, but I still think we'll see Nintendo titles on non-Nintendo hardware within a couple of years.

Ben said:
GloriousPCGamingMasterRace.png

This is what I'll be doing in the console wars.

Yeah, Minor_Furie is there now after I bought him a new PC gaming rig. I wanted a new PC gaming rig :cry:

To be honest, I just can't be doing with PC Gaming. I like my gaming machine to run things at the absolute best it can. That means spending an absolute fortune on a PC, then upgrading every six weeks to keep up. Otherwise I have to start messing around with settings, getting the right balance of looks against performance. I then find that the hour I had to play the game has vanished due to me trying to get things working and I just end up never playing anything.

With a console I can:

a) Sit in the living room with a huge screen and surround sound system and play.
b) Let the devs worry about making it look and run well (it won't look or run as well as it will on a PC, but at least I know that the machine I'm running it on is doing it as well as every other PS/XB)
c) Turn it on it two seconds, be playing a game in just a couple of minutes and switch it off right away.

I do miss PC Gaming though at times, especially when I need a mouse :lol:

marc said:
Kingdom hearts 3 :)

So far it's ps4 all the way, it's a games console not a tv.

Have not read one good reviews about the Xbox yet.

Kingdom Hearts 3 and the new FF have both also been announced for the XBOne too.

See, Sony were really clever and MS really stupid. MS handed Sony a loaded gun and Sony used it. They'll keep on beating MS with it too.

All the time that's happening, Sony are dodging things. People are going "oh Sony, you're so funny monopolising on MS's stupidity" instead of "wait, multiplayer is an upcharge? TWO USB PORTS??? Your console is fugly! If you need/want Kinect, XBOne is better value. PS Eye and Move is pretty turd and badly supported. It used to be 5 consoles could share an account, then reduces to 2, how many this time? Your entire plan is based on network infrastructure, but you have failed to provide a decent - secure - network backbone time and time again" and probably lots of other things.

See, at the core, both machines are pretty identical. They'll both have the same quality cross platform games. They both have their own "exclusives", but it's tit for tat. XBOne is more expensive, but you get more for your money. MS have a proven multiplayer network system that has worked fantastically for years. Sony claim to also have one now.

The difference is that Sony is selling their console as a games machine. MS are trying to differentiate themselves and step a little away from that. They're just assuming that everyone will go "yeah, it's a gaming console as good as the PS4, but it also does all this other stuff on top!".

People are looking at the nitty gritty with the XBOne, and I think it's a little unfair to MS, but...

tomahawKSU said:
I'm still an Xbox man through and through, tired of people **** on it just to **** on it. It's like people were looking for a reason to hate it. You can share games with up to ten people, yet NOBODY SEEMS TO MENTION that because it isn't NO DRM NO SHARING GAMES GARH!! Yes, the price is high, but anyone who gets it in year one isn't smart since there aren't many exclusive titles. I'll be getting mine when Halo 5 comes out, or Madden 15/26 whichever way they go about numbering from now on. I'll still be able to get BF4, Madden 25, CoD Golden Retriever for 360 since no releases are next gen exclusive it seems until next year. Titanfall looks pretty good too.

Everyone has always loved to **** on Microsoft, it's not a change.

I disagree. Sony and Sony users have been under fire from XBox users for years and years. The PS3 has always been seen as the underdog in the current generation. Late to market, too expensive, hacked, crap multiplayer, no achievements, etc, etc, etc.

You sadly reap what you sow and if there's now a backlash because Sony are getting it right (let's not forget, it's taken them an entire generation to reach XBox standards here, I'm not being a total fanboy) and MS aren't - well tough really :lol:

MS have made a bad decision with the "connect every 24 hours" and "game share with ten people, but it must talk to the MS servers every hour" things. It's complicated and it's fixing a problem that nobody really knows is a problem for sure anyway.

They don't help themselves either:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/no-inte ... microsoft/

They have current and potential customers yelling at them saying "what you're doing is wrong". You have indie developers going "MS, you are too difficult to work with we're making games for the PS4 instead". MS are responding with PR rhetoric and wonderful sound bites that make it sound like they're saying "you're too poor for a XBOne, come and live in a proper 1st World Country like 'Merica or STFU!"

It gets up people's noses. E3 was to be "all about the games", but they've not managed to overshadow their flaws with their display. It's been so badly mishandled.

MS does take a lot of **** though generally away from the XBox arena (the XBox has been a shining light and a golden piece of the MS treasury). It's deserved though, MS don't really have much of a handle on things. It's frustrating because they're often ahead of the curve, but they don't know how to monopolise on the ideas they have. Then they end up producing half-baked products, or trying to catch up with another company who has taken their idea and made it work properly. They keep on dropping the ball and upsetting their customers. At some point, people won't have to pick Windows and Office (we're not there yet, but getting there) in business or the home and then MS are royally screwed because they don't have a business model away from those products that functions.

I also don't get the "I'm an XBox Man" thing. I'm a gamer. I will buy the system that works for me and allows me to maximise my gaming time. It's all about best fit. I have no interest in Halo, but I would never buy a system for a single game anyway.

I buy a lot of second hand games. I also buy a lot of quirky and interesting off-the-wall games. The MS solution just won't offer that to me with the XBOne. It's also £80 more than a PS4 because it includes Kinect, which I would never use.

I bought a 360 because I wanted to play online games and the PS3 failed on that front. I'm just a believer in buying what suits you best, not just blind devotion because it's what you've always done - I don't really understand it.

kimahri said:
I still disagree but, I see your logic. I will admit I did base that assumption off the reaction to a Gaming Expo designed to address "Gamers" rather than average Joe or Jane. I was more running off pricing as well. Xbox does seem really steep when including all the other macguffins like Netflix and what not. Will the US still support the Xbox with all of them?

Legit question btw

I think that I've covered it a little above. Sony have run with the "let's make MS look bad" thing. But... We don't know enough about the PS4 and nobody has been really scrutinising it in the same way they have the XBOne. A lot of people can see that the XBOne is a better value bit of kit if they use the Kinect and TV services. If you want Halo* and that is the only thing that you want other than cross platform games, then the XBOne is the option for you.

Add in then that for most people, they will simply stick with what they know (see Tom above ;) ). They will also want to play with friends, so if all of Tom's gaming pals buy a PS4 and Tom won't have anyone to play with, he may consider a PS4 - but it's unlikely, because I'll bet his gaming friends are already considering the XBOne too because it "fits" and "it's what they know". Most people (in the US) just don't give a stuff about the DRM and game sharing and internet connection things. It's irrelevant to them.

MS's problem is much wider. The XBOne is geared for the US market and while that's a large slice of the gaming console pie, the Europe is the lynch pin. Japan will always go Sony, the US will always sway towards XBox and Europe? It's Sony's biggest territory at the moment. MS have done nothing that will help to eat into that market and it's a big mistake, but in the US, the XBOne is a perfect match for a huge number of people.

My prediction...

The PS4 will release late and MS will get the jump on them.

The PS4 will vanish from the shelves in Japan and the XBOne will be completely overlooked.

The XBOne will sell well in the US, with a "mediocre" release on the PS4 front initially, with a sudden rapid build.

The PS4 will sell very well Europe, with a "mediocre" reception for the XBOne. There'll be slow sales on the XBOne and good sales of the PS4 (the PS4 price point is key in Europe)

MS will price cut the XBOne just prior to the release of Halo 5, or release a Halo 5 box which includes the game for free. XBOne sales will increase massively at that point and worldwide, sales across both platforms will be roughly even with Sony having majority share of Europe, all of Japan and MS taking the lion's share of America. Much as it is now.

Then Sony will release their cloud network, and it will fail and Sony will struggle as late adopters rush to XBOne :lol:

Of course, There's Ouya, the Steam box and a load of other unknown variables out there so far, but MS is right, the key is the living room and tying everything into a single box. I suspect MS may be ahead of the curve again here, and NEXT generation, Sony will monopolise on what MS have built once again.

Will be very interesting times.

*Or whatever exclusive game really takes your fancy

Intricks

Strata Poster
I will consider an XB1 so long as it doesnt kill your discs if it moves slightly ;)

All things aside, Sony has come forth over the DRM and what theyve stated is true: All disc based games will be able to be shared no issue. Its the downloadable front that you may have to rebuy again on a seperate platform...which is how it works now. So why bother bringing up the already known, when people were more or less worried about the big titles being unable to be bought used and working?

marc

CF Legend
I got put off pc gaming due to windows 3.1 and 95.

All that setting up different config files got to much in the end.

Plus unless you have a really high spec pc you cannot run the games at full detail.

RCT was a pain, more than 10 coasters and night time mode the thing just ground to a halt.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That's good stuff there Pierre, cheers :)

It does show how much of an impact the 360 has in the US and why MS are focussing their efforts there:
PlayStation 3 (PS3) - US:26.71 | EU:30.95 | Japan:9.32 | Other:10.60 | Total:77.58
Xbox 360 (X360) - US:44.03 | EU:24.20 | Japan:1.64 | Other:7.61 | Total:77.48

See, console sales don't actually make that much of difference. As the Wii saw, the only big sellers were bundled titles, a few 1st party games and Just Bloody Dance. 100 million consoles sold, and just 10 million games a year sold (roughly) on the platform. The 360 can manage that on a single title release in JUST North America.

Yes, every console sold and every title sold is profit, but MS aren't going to be crying to bank any time soon if they only capture 40 million sales in the US and keep up their 5-10 million copies sold per game. They may not want to, but they can actually forget about the global market if they feel like it (and they are forgetting about Japan - leaving release of the XBOne to late 2014 :lol: ).

As we saw from the PS2/XBox to PS3/360 transition, the leader can lose their crown immediately on the next generation release. Sony have been playing catch up for years to gather the sales.

So as long as you can make profit and keep developers making profit, you'll have a "successful" console.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Well...Microsoft has kind of came out with a response to the whole XBox One constant connection and those without internet.

Basically, a big **** You and just keep the 360!

READ ME!

Kind of being a dick there Microsoft. And yes, Sony has already made a comeback message too :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I posted that on the last page. What was Sony's response?

i-fWkgG24-950x10000.jpg

:lol:

I still stand by that the XBOne will sell well and it ISN'T the devil in console form, but I do love a bit of beating stupid people in suits with their own idiot sticks :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
Ah, never noticed lol.

Im not saying Microsoft XB1 is the devil in disguise...but they didnt need to be pricks about the constant connection.

Just to change it up a bit, I decided to get the Vita yesterday and am quite happy with it. I have been playing Monster Hunter and a bitnof Wipeout. While the controls are a bit odd for Monster Hunter, it is still a fun game to play. Also got Persona4 and 3, as well as my slew of FF titles downloaded onto it.

Any other games for suggestion from the PSP era?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Patapon 2 is currently on sale and fantastic.

I like Invizimals as well to a degree. Like grown up Pokemon. It's not great, but good enough.

If you have a PS3, I have to recommend getting a PS+ subscription. The free games on both platforms make it a real "must have" if you have the two systems - you'll also love Gravity Rush.

kimahri

CF Legend
Intricks said:
Ah, never noticed lol.

Im not saying Microsoft XB1 is the devil in disguise...but they didnt need to be pricks about the constant connection.

Just to change it up a bit, I decided to get the Vita yesterday and am quite happy with it. I have been playing Monster Hunter and a bitnof Wipeout. While the controls are a bit odd for Monster Hunter, it is still a fun game to play. Also got Persona4 and 3, as well as my slew of FF titles downloaded onto it.

Any other games for suggestion from the PSP era?

Persona 1 and 2 duology.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I don't understand the problem with the always connected? 90% of the people are always connected anyway, so why is everyone going ape ****. I understand power outages and stuff, but it's not the end of the world?

kimahri

CF Legend
There in lies the problem, 90% of people aren't always connected. At least not with a substantial enough connection anyway. It's Uncommon but a fair few people are on Dial up still. Mostly Europe and a fair amount in The US. after that there's a large amount of people with an internet connection but damn low bit rate.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
tomahawKSU said:
I don't understand the problem with the always connected? 90% of the people are always connected anyway, so why is everyone going ape ****. I understand power outages and stuff, but it's not the end of the world?

One day, the servers will be shut off. Your console will be a door stopper then, unless Microsoft chooses to release an offline patch before flipping the switch. Even though they will most likely have stopped caring by that point in time, gamers realize today that the money they invest in an always-online console will only buy them games as long as Microsoft decides to support them. Effectively, you purchase a product with an expiration date you can't control.

On the other hand, given that you take proper care of it, that PS1 or Xbox you used to own as a kid will still be able to play games when your grandkids find it in your basement a few decades down the line. Not sure if the cassette-based Nintendo systems before the Gamecube will be working for more than a few more years, but CDs should stay fine for considerable time unless damaged. You bought them once, and they can be played whenever you want, even many many years later.

This is also why the new SimCity outraged fans so badly. The inevitable fate of the cities you spent hours creating - gone forever when the servers are shut off and the game isn't profitable any more.

nealbie

CF Legend
Pierre said:
All this hype over E3 has totally over shadowed the PS3 has FINALLY overtaken Xbox 360 in global sales by the way :)

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

So it only took 6 years to claw back being released a year after the 360. That's pretty impressive actually.

Interesting to see that broken down into regions too. You wouldn't have thought that the PS3 had outsold the 360 5:4 in Europe based on the sales floor of every Game in the country (and ones I've seen in France), where there's twice as many 360 shelves as there are PS3 ones! :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I think Pokemaniac's point is pretty invalid - it's going to be well over ten years before servers are switched off (maybe as far as 20) and it's such a small number of people who retro-game that it's unlikely to have any real impact.

tomahawKSU said:

The 90% is an average:
http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/ ... lease.html

Annual Household Income ---- Use a Computer at Home ----- Internet at Home --- Broadband at Home
Under $30,000 ------------------ 59% ------------------------------- 52% ------------------- 47%
$30,000-$50,000 --------------- 84% --------------------------------78% ------------------- 68%
Over $50,000 -------------------- 97% ------------------------------- 97% ------------------- 91%

So it's actually 91% of people who earn over $50,000 a year in the house that have broadband. Though obviously, poorer people are unlikely to be buying a $500 gaming machine.

The XBOne will only be available in about 21 countries too, but again, countries with people with expendable incomes and a decent amount of broadband:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/xbox- ... at-launch/

It's all part of MS's "don't give a **** about the poor or the internetless" and as I said earlier, they don't need to. 40 million 360 owners just in the US. Even if MS hand over their rest of world, Japan and xx% of EU and US sales to Sony, they'll still be selling those kind of numbers over the life of the machine (40 million).

What people are missing here is that while it's supposed to be a "games machine", that's not where MS are going to make their real money. They'll be making their money through the subscription services they offer on the MS platforms and the XBOne TV services.

It's kind of like how Sony sold PS3s because of Blu-Ray and likewise cemented the Blu-Ray standard because people had PS3s. They hada more expensive product, later to market but it made Sony more in the long term. Remember, every XBOne sold is profit for Sony.

There's much more to this than just gaming and MS are more than aware of that. It's something that you'll see over the life of the machine, and like the PS3 and Blu-Ray, as the services unfold and people see the added advantage, they'll slowly move towards the XBOne as their "everything in one machine" solution. Or at least that's what MS are hoping for.

nealbie said:
Pierre said:
All this hype over E3 has totally over shadowed the PS3 has FINALLY overtaken Xbox 360 in global sales by the way :)

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

So it only took 6 years to claw back being released a year after the 360. That's pretty impressive actually.

Interesting to see that broken down into regions too. You wouldn't have thought that the PS3 had outsold the 360 5:4 in Europe based on the sales floor of every Game in the country (and ones I've seen in France), where there's twice as many 360 shelves as there are PS3 ones! :lol:

It's an odd one, but here's why...

The PS3 has a better "attach rate" than the 360. So if you release a game on the PS3 it will be bought buy more people on average per console total than a game on the 360. So (for example) when there were 20 million PS3s and Need for Speed was released, one in every 4 PS3 owners bought the game, but out of the 30 million 360 owners, only one in every 5 360 owner bought it. Sales are still higher for the 360 version, but only because there are more 360s (or significantly were until the last 12 months or so).

However, AAA titles sell like hot cakes on the 360. So the attach rate isn't quite true to what happens as it's all averages. COD will sell 10 million on the 360, but 6 million on the PS3. But a smaller release like Ico, or Viva Pinata will sell say 2 million on the PS3, but 1 million on the 360 (all just numbers and games pulled pretty much from thin air). So overall you're more likely to have "okay" sales on the PS3, but on the 360 either nothing or massive sales. It makes more sense to try and supply for massive sales and push a game as "AAA" than to think "it'll do badly". So yeah, you tend to get games on the 360 pushed harder...

Intricks

Strata Poster
See, the whole uproar over the constant connect is due to the fact that for the system to even work in any manner over 24hrs, is to be able for your XB1 to ping the MS servers to prove it is online. Without that ping once everu 24hrs, what is going to happen?

Simply put, you have a big black box of nothing at that point. You wont be able to use it in any manner without the ping. So if you lose internet for 3 days for whatever reason, you wont be able to use the system after the 1st 24hrs passes. How about all of the cloud stored games? If you are playing one, what will happen?

Those are a few reasons as to why there is an uproar happening. Even Steam, something that is constantly connected offers an offline mode. Microsoft is basically giving the option of playing alone, offline mind you, a no go, since all you ever want to do is apparently play with friends.

Also, the whole argument of sharing the games with 10 of your friends is solely through the console apparently.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I know what you're saying, but in reality, it's going to affect very few people, very infrequently.

When was the last time I lost Internet for longer than 24hours? Seven years ago? Maybe eight? Maybe longer, I really can't remember. I'll bet most people are in the same situation.

The issue will really affect people who move about often, or can't get access to the internet at all. Their solution is simply don't buy one. At least MS is saying up front "you won't be able to play". They must have balanced the negatives of losing customers to the positives of whatever it is they're gaining. It's not like they had a meeting one morning and said "how can we piss of our customer base today then?"

The question is, for all those currently anti-MS for this, how many of you would switch back to the XBOne if they said tomorrow "okay, DRM and always on free after all"? Lots I'll bet, because people still want the console and most people will happily ignore the problems and poor company PR because it fulfils their desire.