What's new

The Games we play...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
So MGS & FF are coming to the 360, as is the most ambitious game controller ever in Project Natal. Looks like Microsoft might have found a way to blow the Wii controller away. I wasn't too impressed with the painting demo, but that Lionhead demo was simply amazing. What they will be able to do with that is simply mind boggling.
Plus the addition of Facebook & Twitter will ensure that the 360 remains the most social console on the market. Then there's the new agreement with Last.fm, plus SKY for British Xbox owners & the ability to share content with other xbox owners, even if they do not subscribe to SKY or Netflix (Last.fm will be free). I'm looking forward to watching Premiership footy in a viewing party with any of you who have a 360 & SKY.

So let me go back to where I left off.
Epic games' Cliffy B showed off the new Arcade title Shadow Complex, a 2-D action adventure side scrolling platform shooter that features a 10+ hour campaign & will be released this summer.
Next up was Joy Ride, a free download & play racer supporting xbox live avatars & content sharing.
This was followed by game trailers for Crackdown 2 & Left 4 Dead 2, both of which looked great.
The it was time for a hands on demo of Splinter Cell Conviction, which was awesome. It's about time Sam Fisher made a comeback. He looks a bit younger than in the previous installment, but still a bad-ass!

Gotta go right now, but I'll be back soon to fill in the rest.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Left4Dead 2 was really my favourite surprise of the day. Lovely that RPS had the exclusive too, and if you go back to the main page, there's a 20 or so minute podcast with the main writer, Chet Faliszek.

Alan Wake also looked really cool!

Natal will inevitably be filled up with rubbish as the Wii has been, but it is very, very cool.

How the hell did you get in, Jerry? :p

mrclam

Giga Poster
as is the most ambitious game controller ever in Project Natal.

no it's not.. it's just an advanced (And probably expensive) version of the eye toy. I didnt see anything THAT mind blowing about it.

sure it's cool and looks like fun.. For 5 minutes.. If i wanted to be jumping around my room playing a game - i'd go outside and get some fresh air while doing it.

At least i can play wii sat down! :--D

East Coast(er) General said:
I wasn't too impressed with the painting demo, but that Lionhead demo was simply amazing. What they will be able to do with that is simply mind boggling.

Things to bare in mind bare in mind about lionhead demo:

1) If that demo was as real as suggested - then lionhead have just developed in 2 months what AI researchers have been trying to do for decades. I heavily doubt it'll pass the turring test.

2) If the demo was as real as suggested. Then all the voice recognition research problems have just been solved in one easy swoop by a team of programmers in guildford in just a few months! Imagine it being able to understand ANY accent - and ANY word?

3) and even it it COULD respond to ANY word - do you think he'd be able to react to them all? "hey little boy, would you like to take a wizz in the water while i watch?".

4) It's mollyneux speaking - if you believe even 1/100th of the stuff he promises with his track record then you're a fool.

mrclam

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
I WOULD LIKE REZ 2 ANNOUNCEMENT KTHNXBI

LOL.. Well "project natal" asside (i dont know what to think about that yet - but i'm leaning towards "not for me - maybe i'll play if someone has it at a party").

The rest of microsoft's presentation was a bit (dare i say) "dull" - if you dont like fps games...

Only alan wake was even half interesting for me.

Couldnt give a flying fig about all that facebook/twitter stuff either.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I never liked the original.. I hated it in single player - and i find most people fustrating to play with multiplayer...

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
You need decent friends to play with otherwise it's really frustrating. When you get a good crowd though, it really, really shines.

I'm really rather excited about this now :D

Homer

Hyper Poster
I wasn't too impressed with the painting demo,
Oh come on, I would play that game just to recreate that tent scene from Austin Powers 2.

but that Lionhead demo was simply amazing. What they will be able to do with that is simply mind boggling.
It seemed kind of fake to me still. I don't know why, but hell, I doubt voice technology and AI has gone THAT far since... I dunno, Seaman or Hey You! Pikachu!

The Microsoft conference, a lot of interesting things, but they manage to make their conferences dull somehow. I'm surprised Yoko, Paul, and Ringo made cameos there. The MGS announcement was well handled. Xbox has a lot of interesting things, however I'm not too keen on 50 bucks a year for a Gold account and the ever so prevalent RROD.

The EA conference. LOL at the "EA Girls" label... Madden NFL 10 looks awesome. Brutal Legend and Beatles will kick ass.

EDIT: Ubisoft's conference. Joel McHale was funny, but good lord... SHUT UP JAMES CAMERON!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't mean to imply that I'm attending E3, because I'm not. All the press conferences are being broadcast live at my office (which furie got a tour of last week), as are all other major goings-on at the event.
I also don't believe that the Lionhead Project Natal demo reflects just how it will work from day 1, but as Microsoft has shown in the past, it will get there eventually (even though they have the demo up & running behind closed doors at E3 - wish I could be one of the lucky ones to give it a go).
TBH, I love the idea of being able to actually play a game of FIFA by actually dribbling & kicking. Anything beyond that is just gravy.
Having face recognition (and the ability to navigate the dashboard without a controller) is also pretty cool. Can you imagine a shooter or horror title where the enemy AI can recognize fear from your facial expressions? I'm sure programmers will take full advantage of that when the time comes.

So continuing with the press conference rundown, I liked the 'mark & execute' ability in Splinter Cell Conviction as well as several of the new in-game gadgets.
Next up was Forza 3 which boasts an all-new graphics engine, 400 cars from 50 manufactures, one button driving, gameplay rewind assist & player-created content.
That was followed by Halo 3:ODST, which is set before the start of Halo 3 where players take on the role of a rookie orbital drop shock trooper separated from his team. The game will feature two new sound-suppressed weapons, low light vision mode, the 'firefight' co-op game mode & a pistol with a zoom shot (a la the original Halo pistol). The story uses flashbacks to multiple characters in order to piece together a mystery. The games launches September 9 & includes an invitation to the Halo Reach multiplayer beta. ODST might just be what the Halo franchise needs to keep it on top of the xbox gaming world, at least until Halo Reach releases in 2010.
An Alan Wake demo was next up, which looked better than I expected. The use of light as a weapon could make for some very interesting gameplay.
Then came the last.fm, Netflix & SKY announcements. The announcements confirmed all content will be streamed in full 1080p with no downloads or delays and can be shared with friends who do not subscribe or have to pay for the premium content via the 'Live Party' worldwide viewing parties.
The facebook & twitter announcements followed, with the ability to use the 'friend linker' to see all your xbox friends & facebook friends together plus have the ability to invite facebook friends to be xbox friends as well or vice versa. You'll also be able to post in-game screenshots (with text) to your facebook profile in real time, which will make showing off your latest achievements a snap.
Next up was Hideo Kojima's announcement that the entire MGS franchise will be coming to the 360 & that the next installment, titled Metal Gear Solid: Rising, will feature Raiden.
Then came the Project Natal announcement to finish up the press conference. Using your body (with voice recognition) as a controller has been a rumor for quite a while now, but I didn't expect them to be so ambitious with it. The fighting, racing & footy demos were what I expected (and I liked the cheap shot at the Wii controller - "this isn't a game where you can use some pre-set waggle commands"), but if they can pull off most of what Peter Mollyneux was describing then it could well change the way we play all games in the future.

Here are some facts & figures on why MGS (& other PS exclusives) are making the switch to Xbox:
1. CoD WaW sold 1.41 million units on the 360 vs 597k on the PS3
2. GTA sold 1.85 million units on the 360 vs 1.05 million on the PS3
3. Madden NFL 09 sold 1 million units on the 360 in the 1st month of release vs 643k on the PS3
The majority of 360 owners site the higher number of titles available & xbox live as the main reason for choosing it over the PS3 or Wii, not the price factor. The majority also choose the longevity of games on xbox due to increased DLC on XBL:
1. There was a 220% increase of DLC for 2009
2. There was a 62% increase in DLC game add-ons
3. There were a total of 516 pieces of additional game content for the 360

I'll be back later to post details on the EA & Ubisoft updates and again tomorrow for the Sony & Nintendo press conferences.

big john

Mega Poster
i dont belive a word mollyneux says i think hes full of **** if the great lionhead demo is working why show it behind closed doors show it to everyone i just thing hes made a bold and kinda fake statment and video and he hopes he can deliver on it, We shal see in time. Nothing major in the xbox keynote i just watched the re run im looking forward to seeing ubisofts and espesially sonys but again still not keeping hopes up for anything mega from anyone at the moment unless someone suprises us in the last seconds lol

mrclam

Giga Poster
Well there's what molyneux SAYS the technology can do.. and then there was this demo:

http://www.vimeo.com/4952629

I'm always amazed at the speed of the internets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TBH, I love the idea of being able to actually play a game of FIFA by actually dribbling & kicking.

*sigh*.. look.. it's a souped up eye toy.. with voice recognition.. nothing more, nothing less. When we all saw the eyetoy years ago, we all thought the same thing, the reality was just a load of crp mini game collections for your expensive camera.

Yes it can do more than a simple camera.. but dont expect anything other than a few mini games for it.

The amount of processing power alone to decode the messages coming in would be quite high - so i'm guessing most "full" games would struggle to include anything.

I stand to be proved wrong.. But I *REALLY* wouldnt get your hopes up.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Thank you Clammy.

I'm already sick of all these stupid twunts shouting about how Xbox is 'revolutionising gaming' with a jumped up Eye Toy. The Eye Toy was a brilliant little game. Key word being little. People raved about the Wii being innovative. Yet it's appeal has now waned out in terms of longevity. Microsoft are just doing what they do best; lacking originality and just stealing/overpaying for ideas already done by Sony/Nintendo and tweaking them. Lips, In the Movies, this camera thingy, and then theres overpaying for the DLC for GTA.

Not expecting anything interesting for me from the Sony conference. My PSP broke and I'm not after a new one, and I already have a PS3, so unless they're developing some sort of super game, I'll struggle to gain enthusiasm.

Also, NEW HALO GAMES!!! OMG HOW ORIGINAL!!!