What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It IS exceptionally versatile Snoo ;)

Youngster Joey said:
People are raging about this. I personally don't care as I wasn't planning to buy this but it looks like Wii U will be another Wii if this trend continues...

I don't think it's the case with Rayman Legends, but the worry is that Nintendo have already lost the support of third part publishers.

If Ubisoft don't see good sales of consoles, or good attach rates (remember, Rayman Raving Rabbids was a stonking hit for them on the original Wii) then the priority of producing titles for the console will drop.

Why spend money pushing staff to produce the technologically more advanced (the Wii U version of Legends uses the pad and is therefore more technologically advanced) version if it will sell fewer copies than either the PS3 or 360 version?

Of course, the opposite side of that is that if they got the game out in the quiet period between launch and the next big Nintendo release, they could reap the benefits of early adopters living in a drought.

A new console release is always a bit of a gamble for publisher to support. The Wii U potentially worse because the Wii had a massive attach rate to release titles and people made a LOT of money, but for years, only Nintendo and Just Dance have made anything from it. So it's that "could be huge, could be dead" worry hanging over publishers.

The Vita has had it too, publishers won't support it because PSP games sold badly due to low hardware sales and high piracy. They ignore the fact that most games were just ports of PS2 games and the original PSP exclusive titles actually sold quite well. It's all about as much cash for as little cost though.

The one thing Sony has is that they actually encourage independent developers to produce games for them, so they end up with lots of interesting games anyway - Nintendo quite famously are very bad to deal with if you want games to go onto their stores.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The main issue here is that the Wii U version is practically finished (Demo been available since Christmas time) and yet a sudden 6 month push back is here, presumably to have a simultaneous release with the other consoles...

Nintendo should be a tad peeved off with that decision tbh... Not so much about the lack of exclusivity (as I said, I predicted it wouldn't be for long), but more of that massive delay of WHY...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They just won't have finished all the coding. So things like menus will be incomplete and probably lot of cut scenes and/or levels.

Ubisoft will have shifted employees from the Wii U dev team to the 360/PS3 dev teams to ensure that there's simultaneous development on all three platforms (four if the PC version is true).

It would have been a choice of "spend more on staff to get the PS3/360 versions released this year and Wii U exclusive", "Delay the 360/PS3 versions and move the Wii U staff after the Wii U release (possibly missing the vital holiday season sales)" or "Spend the same and bollocks to Nintendo".

They went for the latter, obviously :)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
furie said:
They just won't have finished all the coding. So things like menus will be incomplete and probably lot of cut scenes and/or levels.

Ubisoft will have shifted employees from the Wii U dev team to the 360/PS3 dev teams to ensure that there's simultaneous development on all three platforms (four if the PC version is true).

It would have been a choice of "spend more on staff to get the PS3/360 versions released this year and Wii U exclusive", "Delay the 360/PS3 versions and move the Wii U staff after the Wii U release (possibly missing the vital holiday season sales)" or "Spend the same and bollocks to Nintendo".

They went for the latter, obviously :)

Looks like not only are Wii U owners pissed, It sounds like the Dev team is quite unhappy as well.

http://nintendoeverything.com/11254...or-rayman-legends-news-devs-not-happy-either/

Pierre

Strata Poster
New YouTube app on the PS3 is quite good. The videos actually play in HD rather than 'YouTube XL's' shocking quality.

The CF 3D videos are pretty decent too :)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Finished Sly Cooper Thieves in Time on saturday.

I'd give it an 8.5/10

I had a few frame-rate issues and sometimes the controls are a little wonky but overall a well done successor to Sucker Punch's original trilogy and a bargain for price.

Like every other game in the franchise, the end is left wide open so I hope this games sells enough copies we get to See a Sly 5.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Youngster Joey said:
Looks like not only are Wii U owners pissed, It sounds like the Dev team is quite unhappy as well.

http://nintendoeverything.com/11254...or-rayman-legends-news-devs-not-happy-either/

Yep, I was quite wrong. Ubisoft are just being complete arses about it :lol:

Why would you sit on a completed game and not release it? Well, they're obviously saving for a single "PR budget", but still, it's got to be expensive to have a finished product unreleased?

I'm still ploughing through Ni no kuni. It's ridiculously huge and requires stupid amounts of time. It's the first game in ages where I'll drop in for ten minutes here and there. Usually it's not worth it because just as you get into the game, you have to stop. With NNK, every extra minute you spend in the game helps, especially once you've unlocked fast travel.

It's far from perfect, but it's still one of the best all round games I've played.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
^Well since Fire Emblem is my last game until I settle out my trip plans I'm not to concerned about that.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, I'm not very far in but if your a new player, don't be stupid and try to play the hardest difficulty unless you play in casual mode. This game is NO pushover. Not to far in but The free Marth DLC was a nice touch from Nintendo. I'm highly enjoying myself so far.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's a good thing. They're getting delayed into that period where no games are ever released - so it will hopefully give us something for those summer months. Though I usually rely on that period to play catch up a bit :lol:

PS4 announcement tomorrow and probably a Vita price cut on the cards - Sony are really struggling and need to get their house in order.

Pierre

Strata Poster
furie said:
In better news Wake Up Club for the Vita.

What a stupid, ridiculous and petty little thing Sony have given us for free. IT'S FAB!

You set your alarm and put the Vitas into sleep mode. Then, as the time approaches, the Vita looks on the PSN for any other Vitas and Wake Up Club players.

Your alarm goes off and issues you with a challenge - press an icon or something simple. It's a race to be the first person out of the group getting up at that exact time to complete the task (I won this morning in 17 seconds :lol: ).

Once you've "woken up", it presents icons for everyone else in your wake up time club, and you press on their PSN avatars and it sends stupid noises to their Vita to help them wake up too.

Shear genius :lol: Alarm clocks are a chore, but this is fab :)

I played this for the first time yesterday morning as I went back to work, neat little app, and makes waking up a bit more 'fun'. Although I was half asleep myself 'cheering people on' to wake up with zombified touchscreen presses haha :lol:

Pierre

Strata Poster
PS4 announcement in a couple of hours, anyone going to tune in? Anyone got a favoured stream, I'm just going to use IGN but if anyone has other ideas. What are we expecting?

I haven't looked into any of the rumours or hints e.t.c so I'm going into it completely blind, really intrigued though.

peep

CF Legend
Yep. The way they've been building up anticipation for the announcement actually has me all excited too. Lets hope it isn't too much of a let down.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Was watching it on my PS3, but about 15 minutes in the Playstation network crashed. I've been trying to connect to it again, but no luck so far. IGN also isn't accessible. :roll: